Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging near Abingdon, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of a HPWC or J1772 in/near Abingdon, VA? I took a look at Plugshare and I didn't see anything really close. I will be heading there for work in a few weeks for an overnight stay and if possible, I'd like to charge near my destination. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Amazingly enough, it looks like the place I'm going to work with: Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center (SVHEC) has at least one public J1772 plug-in spot available. I will verify with them that it is active/available and post an update shortly.

It would probably be a stretch, but if you have a CHAdeMO adapter and you're willing to stop for a charge in Roanoke, AND if you can find an available NEMA 5-15 or 5-20 outlet where you're staying and/or working, then you might be able to make it work. If you range charge before leaving Lynchburg and don't stop, you'll likely arrive in Abingdon with ~50 miles (and that's in good conditions), and you'd probably want to leave Abingdon with at least 150 (again, in good conditions) if you want to make it back to one of the CHAdeMO stations in Roanoke. So that probably means you'd also have to stop at a Roanoke CHAdeMO on your way to Abingdon for a quick top-off.

There are also a few level 2 options along I-81 that you could use in a pinch, but that could easily add another couple hours.

I agree it's far from ideal, and frankly I'm not sure if I'd try it if I were in your situation unless I had lots of flexibility in my schedule.

I have another viable option: Holiday Inn @ Christiansburg has a HPWC. I'll range charge at the house, get as much juice as I can stand to wait for in C'burg and then plug into 110V at my client's and at the hotel, who I've already verified has a wall plug near the parking lot (the Holiday Inn Express in Abingdon). Anything to avoid the dreaded ICE rental ;) You have to be a bit creative in charging deep in Coal Country, USA.

- - - Updated - - -

Luckily, I can leave a bit earlier to accommodate the added charging time in both directions.

I have another viable option: Holiday Inn @ Christiansburg has a HPWC. I'll range charge at the house, get as much juice as I can stand to wait for in C'burg and then plug into 110V at my client's and at the hotel, who I've already verified has a wall plug near the parking lot (the Holiday Inn Express in Abingdon). Anything to avoid the dreaded ICE rental ;) You have to be a bit creative in charging deep in Coal Country, USA.

- - - Updated - - -

Luckily, I can leave a bit earlier to accommodate the added charging time in both directions.

When you're at the Holiday Inn Express in Abingdon, suggest to the hotel management that they look into Tesla's Destination Charging Program, in which Tesla will GIVE them the HPWC (perhaps two) plus a generic L2/J1172 charger FOR FREE, and may even pay for the installation. And then they get the free advertising of being on Tesla's "Find Us" map, plus the Plugshare map. It really is a win-win opportunity for them with no real down-side.

Anything to avoid the dreaded ICE rental ;) You have to be a bit creative in charging deep in Coal Country, USA.

Indeed. I'd guess you probably need ~400 rated miles total for the entire trip, more if it gets cold, so if you start at 100% you'll have to add at least 130-150 miles across all charging stops. 16-20 hours of L1 charging can give you 48-80 miles -- up to 100 if they're 20A circuits and you have the 5-20 adapter. If you have dual chargers then the hotel in Christiansburg is a great option to build up a significant fraction of what you need. Even if you only have a single charger, longer stops in Christiansburg combined with the L1 charging will hopefully be sufficient.

Good luck, and please do let us know how it works out.

Also, assuming you successfully charge at the hotel in Abingdon, I highly recommend taking a couple photos and adding the location to PlugShare. I believe hotels I've added in the past have helped other EV drivers, even if it's just L1.

Luckily, I opted for the dual chargers (for situations like this). The Holiday Inn Express staff was really helpful and knew just what I needed. I stayed in a hotel near Richlands a few months ago and the hotel there also had a plug that gave me about 30 miles of charge overnight. I'll be sure to tag them, as well. Thanks for the info and I'll drop a run-down of the trip when I return.