Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Travelling around Paris - East/West and charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We head off to the Dordogne soon and it looks like we may need to charge "somewhere" in the Paris region. At the moment we're planning to use the chargers at 'Velizy 2' off the N118 which seems to get much better reviews than other options. I was hoping to avoid stopping near Paris but looking like we may need to.

Alternatively we could stop north of Paris at Senlis, then go east side of Paris to our overnight in the Orleans area. That would work but relies on getting a full charge at Folkestone. Senlis also gets very busy apparently but probably better than fighting through the shopping crowd at the Velizy Paris option.

Any tips for routing around Paris and charging appreciated - preferrably avoiding it if possible :)

Cheers

relies on getting a full charge at Folkestone

I wouldn't want to rely on that. Chargers are "ground side" (and Old School 150kW), so you still have to go through Passports etc., so its hard to predict how much time you need for that, and to stay charging until "last moment"

If you are in a bind (want to catch train, not got as much charge as ideal) there is a Supercharger outside the Chunnel complex in Calais, so you could top up there (if no other option on your route, and you needed to catch a particular train)

If it was me I'd try some What If's in ABRP

I gave it arrival at Folkestone at 20% and it didn't reckon to charge much there ... but you might not fancy having to Supercharge on the peripherique! (but Vélizy 2 is 250kW and 16 stalls ...)

ABRP04.gif

preferrably avoiding it if possible

I've driven the peripherique several times, used as many passengers as I had as spotters on every occasion! ... stressful.

Distance between exits is short, so they come up quickly, and basically you get your first sign at the-one-before ... which might be a bit late to move over. We had a crib sheet of exits and counted them down so I was in the nearside lane a couple before the one I needed (the actual nearside lane is often an exit-only lane)

We've done the West route a couple of times, the initial route along the coast is nice and then branch off to Rouen and Le Mans. We had a really nice hotel stop in Neufchâtel-en-Bray - good spot, but probably not far enough for you

Reactions: baguette
Thanks for that. We're just doing the "what ifs" in ABRP now. We will allow plenty of time Folkestone side so favourite at the moment is 95% there and make it to Senlis with about 20%. Then miss Paris and straight to Orleans. Failing that it would be route you've pulled up and take our chances at the Paris stop.

We've managed pretty well at Folkestone before but if it goes awry, then there are options. I'll also take a look at third-party chargers as back-up - I'm told they're better on t'other side of the channel. Cheers.

I've driven the peripherique several times, used as many passengers as I had as spotters on every occasion! ... stressful.

Distance between exits is short, so they come up quickly, and basically you get your first sign at the-one-before ... which might be a bit late to move over. We had a crib sheet of exits and counted them down so I was in the nearside lane a couple before the one I needed (the actual nearside lane is often an exit-only lane)

We've done the West route a couple of times, the initial route along the coast is nice and then branch off to Rouen and Le Mans. We had a really nice hotel stop in Neufchâtel-en-Bray - good spot, but probably not far enough for you
I know what you mean about the Peripherique, we've done it several times and a couple of those by accident. I knew it would be fun as soon as I saw the cars folding their wing mirrors in to avoid the scooters! It certainly isn't for the faint-hearted and in the days before sat-nav the other half would sit there with a long list of written instructions counting down the exits - very much like yourself!

We got stuck there once whilst a gendarme sat on a small bale of hay which had fallen off a lorry and "blocked" the carriageway. It was obviously not part of his job description to pick it up and move it. Quite farcical.

Alternative idea:

From Calais go south using the A26 via Reims and Troyes. (Maybe visit one of those cities) Then cut across to Orleans using A5 & A19. Relaxing route, misses all the risks of the Paris traffic, a few extra miles but so much less stressful.

Tony
Hi Tony, thanks for the suggestion. We'll certainly add that into the mix to review.

Back from our trip which was really enjoyable. The supercharger network was fine and just needs a little bit of pre-planning and slight off-route navigation to use - maybe an extra 75 minutes in a typical 10 hour drive but we were glad of a few extra breaks.

We did the Paris route on the way down and it is stressful to be fair, lots of bumper-to-bumper, mad scooter drivers and eye-strain from looking for the correct exits. To be avoided if possible. Fortunately we made it through OK but I'd hate to get it wrong!

Coming back we did the alternative route very similar to the one shown a few posts back. However, in future we'd shorten this by heading back the same way as we came but shooting off west via Chartres to avoid Paris. Then on up through Rouen and back to Calais - I think this is possibly the shortest, least-stressful option if you're heading to the Dordogne.

All in all very enjoyable and we'll certainly do it again.

Back from our trip which was really enjoyable. The supercharger network was fine and just needs a little bit of pre-planning and slight off-route navigation to use - maybe an extra 75 minutes in a typical 10 hour drive but we were glad of a few extra breaks.

We did the Paris route on the way down and it is stressful to be fair, lots of bumper-to-bumper, mad scooter drivers and eye-strain from looking for the correct exits. To be avoided if possible. Fortunately we made it through OK but I'd hate to get it wrong!

Coming back we did the alternative route very similar to the one shown a few posts back. However, in future we'd shorten this by heading back the same way as we came but shooting off west via Chartres to avoid Paris. Then on up through Rouen and back to Calais - I think this is possibly the shortest, least-stressful option if you're heading to the Dordogne.

All in all very enjoyable and we'll certainly do it again.
thanks for the tip!

I will be traveling in about a week. I am also located not far from you (derby is like 20 min drive.

Currently ABRP plans me to charge already in Calais, Croquelles. Then on my way South (going to Spain), i will try to take Rouen - Chartres route ;)

on return - will be stopping southern end of Paris and spend day near Eiffel - but will not drive there - Metro all way long... and return same probably, or it might guide me via east of it... so Meaux I presume :)

Reactions: spon88
it'll make you painfully aware of the decrepit state of UK transport infrastructure in comparison.
In general, in France and some other European countries, Motorway usage is paid for through tolls so they are better maintained and the French spend more on roads than in the UK, although the french don’t pay road tax. It is also true that France is a very large country and has almost 800,000 miles of roads - more than any other country in Europe…The UK has around 300,000miles. The total numer of cars in France is around 38million cf 33 million in the UK. The differences in these figures as well as the average annual mileage driven as well as other factors such as trucks etc mean the french roads get less wear and tear. In France on the other hand, the autoroutes have narrower lanes, narrower shoulders, sharp curves, an uneven surface and no cat's eyes. Minor roads on the other hand are not as narrow as their British equivalents. France is a big place, although, I’ve travelled to numerous places in France - from North to South road trips - it doesn’t mean better maintained roads are representative of the whole country.

Just for comparison US has more than 5million miles of total raod network and India has around 3 million miles of road network, although they have the record of poor maintenance of these roads leading to poor quality infra structure compared to other countries.

Was there a stop over near Paris? or you intended to do that way? Because for Dordogne there are other less stressful options available with SCs? Why Paris route?
We'd done the Paris route some years ago, several times actually. It was bad then but we went for it anway. With hindsight we should have chosen another route but we'll know in future. The Chartres route I mentioned earlier, dipping just west, looks decent and not too far out of the way.

thanks for the tip!

I will be traveling in about a week. I am also located not far from you (derby is like 20 min drive.

Currently ABRP plans me to charge already in Calais, Croquelles. Then on my way South (going to Spain), i will try to take Rouen - Chartres route ;)

on return - will be stopping southern end of Paris and spend day near Eiffel - but will not drive there - Metro all way long... and return same probably, or it might guide me via east of it... so Meaux I presume :)
We charged at South Mimms on the way down and then again at the Folkestone terminal - the latter can be very busy so don't depend on it. Charging at South Mimms gave us the option of missing Folkestone and being able to make it to one of the first French chargers if it all got a bit tight. There is a charger in Calais but not the one within the terminal which is inaccessible until you check in on the way back. The Calais terminal chargers are decent and not been too busy when we've used them - easy to find on the way in too.

Tip for getting around the western side of Paris... Use the A86 duplex tunnel. It's an amazing feat of engineering, is generally not too busy, and it'll make you painfully aware of the decrepit state of UK transport infrastructure in comparison.
Satnav inside gets confused easily as you are underground and as a ‘duplex’ tunnel, you have two routes on top of each other. Better know where you are going and read the signs carefully instead or it’s a sure way to miss your exit.

at the Folkestone terminal - the latter can be very busy so don't depend on it.

I've charged there a number of times, and never been more than one or two cars there ... but "it depends" of course, peak holiday season likely to be worse

Personally I wold use Coquelles, French-side, as a backup if Folkestone wait was too long - rather than missing a train

All the ones at Calais and Folkestone are old 150kW stalls, and all are open to non-Tesla ... so might be worth sourcing a faster charger anyway.

Ionity is at Maidstone, also one at Rely, half way to St Quentin Supercharger and Baralle (3/4 to St Quentin), which are [advertised as!] 350kW,

Reactions: spon88