Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manufacturing Defect Concern

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order the end of July for the 90D. However, after the first manufacturing run, I was informed the car was so defective, that they had to start anew. Finally it is here for pickup next week. I have two concerns:

1. Do buyers need to be concerned that there may be a manufacturing problem in general or perhaps this was just a rare event?
  2. Although Tesla was kind enough to provide a non-Tesla loaner for the last two weeks since I sold my car in anticipation, do you think I should ask for further compensation, such as an accessory?

If it was an ongoing problem, we'd see countless posts like this one, saying their car was so defective that they had to start over :). My first reaction (coming from a heavy background in quality) was 'good on them for not trying to fix something that was clearly wrong'. My second reaction was 'great transparency'.

Companies that have pride in their quality aren't afraid to say when it was wrong. And they obviously didn't try to pass the problem onto a customer. I would hope that all companies handled problems this way.

You were made whole with a loaner. That seems like the right thing. Besides loss of car/compensation for that, do you feel there is something else for which you should be compensated?

I placed an order the end of July for the 90D. However, after the first manufacturing run, I was informed the car was so defective, that they had to start anew. Finally it is here for pickup next week. I have two concerns:

1. Do buyers need to be concerned that there may be a manufacturing problem in general or perhaps this was just a rare event?
  2. Although Tesla was kind enough to provide a non-Tesla loaner for the last two weeks since I sold my car in anticipation, do you think I should ask for further compensation, such as an accessory?
while I "feel your pain" tesla did put you into a loaner.
I don't know what more you should expect from them, maybe the DS will give you some extra swag when delivery finally happens

1. "So defective" could mean just about anything. But when a new car is coming down the line and something goes wrong that makes it bad enough so that it cannot truly be sold as 'new' for Tesla standards they will move you to a new VIN. If you know the VIN then we might see it pop up on CPO. Usually it means that the paint was damaged in some way. This is rare but does happen. They don't want to sell you a new car with one body panel re-painted.
2. Unless the non-Tesla loaner was a VW TDI! :tongue:

I think this is a great example of Tesla doing the right thing in ensuring you have a well built car. I doubt they have a manufacturing problem in general as they have been building the Model S for quite a while now and refining everything they can along the way and I bet they have the 90KWh battery pack solidly engineered.

As for the delay and not being able to drive your car (or a Tesla) for 2 weeks, perhaps ask for a complimentary service visit? It is a $600 value but I doubt it costs them that so I think it is a fair concession to offer to you.