Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will There be Cooled Seats in the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I'd save you all some time by creating a thread where we can rant about cooled seats not being in Model S at the time of the Model X Signature configuration page launching to the first reservations. Off topic bickering is expected, as jealousy and rage grip Model S buyers.

I have always wondered why Tesla found it difficult to add simple things like more storage space, center console, cooled seats etc.:cursing:.....lol...
It's just a matter of resources. They have a list of what they consider the most important stuff and as time marches on they keep going down the list, checking off boxes.

That said, none of those strike me as "simple things." They all require substantial tooling. Tesla can only do so much so quickly. They're making progress.

Damn that dastardly Elon Musk and his planned obsolescence making me plop down 100 Gs every 18 months.

dlY3FuM.jpg

I always said my next car would have ventilated seats or I wouldn't buy it. Then I bought my MS. I hated that it didn't have ventilated seats, but I can say I really haven't missed them either. Since I can pre-cool the car, it hasn't been a big deal. With that said, if a retrofit came along and wasn't crazy expensive, I may still do it. I'd be surprised though as you're going to need perforated seats, and most people aren't going to want a mismatch of front and back seats, and I can't see replacing all of them, so. . .

I always said my next car would have ventilated seats or I wouldn't buy it. Then I bought my MS. I hated that it didn't have ventilated seats, but I can say I really haven't missed them either. Since I can pre-cool the car, it hasn't been a big deal. With that said, if a retrofit came along and wasn't crazy expensive, I may still do it. I'd be surprised though as you're going to need perforated seats, and most people aren't going to want a mismatch of front and back seats, and I can't see replacing all of them, so. . .
+1
I bought my X5 without the ventilated seats and always thought that was the worst decision I made with the car. No matter how cool I made the car, my back would always be sweating on hot days, sitting against the leather. However, that has never been an issue on the MS since the whole car is always cool when I get in, despite driving on some pretty hot days.

I think, or at least hope, it's safe to say that these seats will be put in the Model S in the not so distant future... That's the last piece I'm waiting on to order... Please Tesla... Hurry up... LOL

Jeff

I have to hold off anyway, but the ventilated & cooled seats are a big one for me. Hoping they're available in the S before the end of the year.

- - - Updated - - -

Ventilated, next-gen, textile seats = take my money. Driver's side only only, screw the passenger.

Ah, yes, and textile.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, but I see you don't live in FL ;)

I've had ventilated seats from mercedes and now in my porsche. I have to say they have never worked well enough in either car for me to make it a criteria for buying another car. My S is being built right now and I won't be sorry even if they offer them soon.

Eric

Don't true air conditioned ventilated seats require some additional piping/ducts from the AC unit to the seats? It may be more of an engineering effort than just new seats with ventilated fans. They may be able to tap into the rear air but that is already pretty weak. Also requires a perforated leather which isn't always preferred.

I'm willing to bet that if they don't, it would be in the next redesign of the model S, say 2019ish, after the Model 3 release is underway, 6-7 year body lifecycle for Telsa like other auto makers, but more on high end since they will be hard pressed on 3rd model focus in 2017/2018.

Most ventilated seats aren't that great I've experienced so far.