Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Upgrade Option - What Is In the "New Pack"??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read with great interest, the details of the TM's July 17th Model S announcement. Especially the new $3,000 RANGE UPGRADE option which adds 5 kWh to the 85 kWh main drive battery pack thus rendering an 85 or 85D to be a 90 or 95D and the P85D to be a P90D.

I am wondering, (as are you) just what was done to the 85 kWh main drive pack to get to the new 90 kWh rating?

Is this increase the result of new cells? Or a new internal pack geometry?

I also notice, on the Design Center that if you choose the RANGE OPTION that the EPA Miles Range does not change on the 85D -> 90D or the P85D -> P90D.
I wonder if the new pack has gone through the necessary testing to provide such numbers and that is the hold up or have the Design Center programmers kind of missed that particular detail.

I will certainly be invoking the RANGE OPTION on my late 2015 order of a P90D. (note signature edited ;-) )

At the expense of appearing to be an old "Fuddy Duddy" .... I do feel that I will NOT be ordering the LUDICROUS MODE option.

1) $10,000 for .3 seconds 0-60 is rather steep for me and frankly 3.1 seconds is very fast

2) Here in Connecticut we pay a yearly personal property tax on automobiles so $10,000 adds about $300 to my yearly cost of ownership...

Your thoughts on the RANGE UPGRADE are welcome.

Lastly... does anyone who is a P85D owner have more details on their LUDICROUS retrofit upgrade path? Apparently you have 6 months to pull said trigger. Any details on what the Labor costs will be?

BTW, I have updated the Model S Options WIKI with the July 17th information... -->Model S options by year - a running history - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

Last edited:
The announcement quite explicitly stated that the new capacity was the result of using a partly silicon anode in the cells with the same number of cells and modules as the current 85 kWh pack.

EPA miles don't change because the EPA hasn't accepted Tesla's testing of the new model yet - they likely didn't present it until after the announcement to avoid leaks. Tesla can't legally advertise it until it is confirmed...

The retrofit is still very much in the air - no one is quite sure what it will be or what it will cost (some folks believe there will be a labor cost in addition to the $5k Elon stated.)
Walter

What Sagbost said: they added some Si to the anode to increase the energy density of the cells. Likely no other changes (same number of cells, same 18x650 dimensions).

Full silicone anodes are years away. Baby steps...

What Sagbost said: they added some Si to the anode to increase the energy density of the cells. Likely no other changes (same number of cells, same 18x650 dimensions).

Full silicone anodes are years away. Baby steps...

ding ding ding... We have a winner.

we also have the possibility of other non documented improvements which raise the full SOC termination voltage higher, maybe <4.3V/cell. But true even doping an electrode with Silicon will have an increase in capacity due to number of chemical bonds with lithium possible during intercalation (the movement of Li ions into the anode matrix). But too much silicon and the the network becomes brittle and cracks causing higher resistance.

See Dr. Cui's work from Stanford on silicon batteries. Note this technology is silicon anodes and is the basebone of Amprius's bettery work. Also Enevate does some battery work in Carbon/silicon anodes.

full disclaimer: I've been in battery manufacturing for over 15 years. No I do not work for Tesla or anyone involved with their batteries.