Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Rage Calculator: Why would turning on AC affect 85D more than 70D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the official Tesla Range Calculator turning on the AC affects the 85D way more than the 71D.

At 70 mph, 19" wheels, AC off and an Outside Temperature of 90 degrees 70D's rage is rated at 240 mi, 85D's is 274 mi. 34 mi difference. Turning on the AC brings the difference down to 15 miles (229 to 244).

Screenshots.

Range AC on.jpg
Range AC off.jpg

Any ideas why that would be the case?

According to the official Tesla Range Calculator turning on the AC affects the 85D way more than the 71D.

At 70 mph, 19" wheels, AC off and an Outside Temperature of 90 degrees 70D's rage is rated at 240 mi, 85D's is 274 mi. 34 mi difference. Turning on the AC brings the difference down to 15 miles (229 to 244).

Screenshots.

Any ideas why that would be the case?

Interesting. I'd assume it has something to do with the 70D being more efficient overall. The motors use less voltage/watts by them being restricted but the weight is less as well. So maybe over time that weight of the extra battery/cells in 85D adds up or brings down the 'curve' of capacity versus efficiency a little faster with AC on.

At 70 mph ... 70D's range is rated at 240 mi
That resolves into 205 minutes of driving, 292 Wh/mile and average power of 20.490 W

At 70 mph ... 85D's range is rated at 274 mi
That resolves into 235 minutes of driving, 310 Wh/mile and average power of 21.850 W

Turning on the AC brings the difference down to 15 miles (229 to 244).
70D: 196 minutes of driving, average power of 21.430 W : + 1 kW for AC
85D: 209 minutes of driving, average power of 24.401 W : + 3.5 kW for AC

What it boils down to is unknown exact available capacity. It is not 70 and it is not 85, so all above calculations are moot.

But that's my favorite part :)

OMG my Tesla give me SO much RAGE, but you'd have to change the calculator to accept

"Stuck in traffic"
"Stuck behind a Subaru"
"Stuck behind old lady"
"raining, and I can't power slide without sliding into a tree"
"Stuck behind a prius"
"Stuck behind a pickup with an exhaust pipe the size of my junk"

Then accept a MPH, and 'time stuck' and 'lanes of road'...

Then you could calculate the rage I feel...