Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

lug nuts need to be changed or not with aftermarket wheels on 5mm spacers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am installing 5mm spacers for my rear wheels which will be 20-10.5 ET42

Does anyone know if we need to change the lug nuts with this or the factory ones are fine.

It seems a few ppl on here have these spacers already.

thanks

With a 14mm diameter wheel stud, I shoot for a 14mm length of thread engagement (approx 10 rotations) +2 totaling 12 as a minimum. I am not using spacers on my 20’s and I still needed to deploy aftermarket lug nuts. Since I have no certifications whatsoever, I would consult a true wheel professional and not some hack (me) on the Internet that processes no skills, no expertise nor training.

Last edited:
any update on this? wondering if I can run 5mm spacers with stock lugs and studs...

I'm not sure anyone can answer this, because unless there's some standard that I'm not aware of, the thickness of the wheel hub is likely to be different with different wheels. I would only trust the result from someone using the exact same wheels. I have a set of BBS CH-R 20x9" ET30 wheels with Gorilla nuts here waiting for our Raven to be delivered. I may try to install 5mm or larger hubcentric spacers for the rear wheels, but I won't know if the studs would need to be changed until I check the number of turns of engagement for those particular wheels and nuts. My engineering degree agrees with the above recommendation for at least 12 turns of engagement with steel studs and lug nuts.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
any update on this? wondering if I can run 5mm spacers with stock lugs and studs...

There is an easy way to figure it out.
The thread pitch on our cars are 1.5mm. SInce you are installing 5mm spacers, you will be losing 3.3 turns.
Go to your car and count how many turns are needed to take a lug nut off, then subtract 3.3.

Stock open ended lug nuts have 17mm of thread which is 11.3 turns.
If your count minus 3.3 is close to that then you should have no problem.

I have aftermarket wheels on my car (no spacers) and I get 8.5 turns, 12.75mm.

It would be nice if other owners with aftermarket wheels could post how many turns they get then we can get real world data and keep track of potentially related problems, if any.

Last edited: