Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should i upgrade from non AP 85 to 85D .. with a loss of 3.5k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After using the 85 for 5 months got a trade in offer which is $3500 less than what it costed me out of pocket after the tax credits . I did add Xpel + opti coat + tinted for $2800 .. so total diff is $6300 ... for 6300 miles i have put on it.... do i really need AP & AWD ??? come on guys do what you are good at :)

After using the 85 for 5 months got a trade in offer which is $3500 less than what it costed me out of pocket after the tax credits . I did add Xpel + opti coat + tinted for $2800 .. so total diff is $6300 ... for 6300 miles i have put on it.... do i really need AP & AWD ??? come on guys do what you are good at :)

Is that trading in to a new car?

If so, you should absolutely take it. It's an amazing deal to just get a discount of $6300 for 6300 miles, even if it was to the exact same model. Normally you would have lost another 5% in value on top of that.

First off, it sounds like a loss of $3.5k (or $6.3k really after the modifications) from buying new, after the tax rebate. That said, take a look at what it would cost you to get your car new now. Personally, if I could afford it, I would for such a "minor" loss. Beware to move quick since doesn't WA's sales-tax exemption expire on July 1st? If so, move quick!

Yes a new car and yes aware of was tax.. Have the new one on order.. Have few days to confirm.

So likely for around $10k (including mods to new car), you are upgrading to S85 RWD w/ Autopilot enabled? To me, that is worth it. Personally, I have required a greater than $10k savings to convince me not to buy a pre-Autopilot car. I would hold the same requirement for a trade-up.

Tesla is offering to buy the car back, and the difference is about $6k.... Pretty good deal, when, if this was any other car there would be about 20-30 % depreciation driving off the lot. So you get all wheel drive, auto pilot, ne battery, new car, new warranty , another tax credit etc....

seems like a simple and easy answer of yes, do it.

There is a 20% depreciation on the original cost, but I got it as an inventory with just 120 miles for 10% + 7% (7500) tax credit.. So actual loss to me on the car is 6k.. For the new one i will be paying 102k - 7500.. So yes extra $ to get a new one

So likely for around $10k (including mods to new car), you are upgrading to S85 RWD w/ Autopilot enabled? To me, that is worth it. Personally, I have required a greater than $10k savings to convince me not to buy a pre-Autopilot car. I would hold the same requirement for a trade-up.

I will be paying 18k (including tax credit) more for the new car (85D) with a loss of 6k on the old one

Wow that is practically nothing. I'd jump on that Tesla offer before they lower the offer. I have a feeling they are going to have a really hard time selling RWD S85 models with the 70D and the P85 both being available with AWD.

Tesla most likely will not get back what they offered you.

I will be paying 18k (including tax credit) more for the new car (85D) with a loss of 6k on the old one

At 18k, I would have to consider my personal finances. To me, at $10k, I'd stretch it regardless. At $18k, you have to decide if its worth it to you. You are getting a great deal on selling your car back for only a $6k loss, but you have to consider your total costs with switching out the car. I will say that you can't go wrong either way!

At 18k, I would have to consider my personal finances. To me, at $10k, I'd stretch it regardless. At $18k, you have to decide if its worth it to you. You are getting a great deal on selling your car back for only a $6k loss, but you have to consider your total costs with switching out the car. I will say that you can't go wrong either way!

Consider also that the 85D now has almost the quickness as the P85. Amazing what they do with free OTA software upgrades.

Oh, I didn't notice the "D". So it's $13k to get the "same" car, $18k to add AWD. In that case, $13k would be close enough to my $10k differential that I would proceed. From there, its simply a $5k for Single vs. Dual Motor discussion. :)