Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

227 wh / mile in my P85D.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Drove from Bellmont, CA to Alviso, CA over 19.5 miles no elevation change. Speed was slow but steady at 55 to 60 mph.

20150415_161927.jpg

Then on my way home last night on my 130 mile commute, I averaged 282 wh / mile goin 65 to 70 with a few passes up to 85 and 4 full power launches during the last 6 miles after getting off the freeway. Before those, my average had been 278 but my playing around after exiting the freeway ruined it a little.

20150416_220559.jpg

That's mighty impressive.
You haven't entered your data into the Firmware Upgrade Tracker, so I can tell which build of 6.2 this is - but the speedometer to 160 makes me think .153 or newer.
I have 2000 miles on mine, averaging 359 Wh/mile - and .153 has not really made any difference for me.

Yes. It's .153. Is there a more recent update than that?????

BTW, my normal commute home over the last two and only two times was around 300 wh / mile. So this is odd as I didn't change my driving. The temperature was about the same. No wind. Elevation up about 150 feet.

The only thing I can think of is I just had Xpel Ultimate applied the entire front of the car. It's very very smooth and slippery. Could this have had an effect on drag?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and that average included an extra exit and enter onto the freeway for a supercharger pit stop.

Yes. It's .153. Is there a more recent update than that?????
.155 / .160 / 101.36.2 (no kidding)
BTW, my normal commute home over the last two and only two times was around 300 wh / mile. So this is odd as I didn't change my driving. The temperature was about the same. No wind. Elevation up about 150 feet.

The only thing I can think of is I just had Xpel Ultimate applied the entire front of the car. It's very very smooth and slippery. Could this have had an effect on drag?
It could indeed.

It could indeed.

Doubt it'd be particularly measurable and nothing like the big number changes he saw.

Don't know how you guys manage the numbers here really. I know, with your right foot mostly :). I know the methods, but am impressed with you being able to do them well enough to see these numbers.

For reference, my near 700 mile trip averaged 369wh/mi between San Diego and St George UT. We drove prevailing speed of traffic (but that's 70-85+ for a lot of those stretches). My overall average is still over 400, and I have xpel ultimate over the whole car :). The overall has a lot of mostly start stop short in-town stuff though, which given my fondness of not speeding, but getting up to speed fast, makes sense. Rarely use the brake, but don't try to minimize regen except on freeway.

Last edited:
Sorry. Should have mentioned that.

No, regular 19s at 50 psi as that is what the door sticker now says and that's what the factory put in it at delivery. I did a double take until I checked the door sticker.

Also, those miles are with the suspension on the lowest setting. Raising the car to standard increases the usage by about 5%. Really glad I got the air.

...No wind...

This is the primary reason for your good numbers. Next time you're driving through fog (if you get it that way), look at your numbers. You'll see they're very low, since fog is present in very calm meteorological conditions.

Calm winds will generally mean good numbers (although not as good as a tailwind!)

The Xpel probably has a very small effect on drag. Paint with clearcoat is also smooth and slippery.

My P85 got ~270 Wh/mi (lifetime avg for me is 350) yesterday for a trip to St. Louis and back, mostly 70 mph. I have .124.

Compared to what I've gotten in previous years for equivalent ambient temps, it does seem this year my Wh/mi figure seems to be a bit less.