Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the S85's and P85/P85+'s see an acceleration and/or top speed improvement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to firmware changes like the 85D and P85D's have seen? I know Elon was quoted as saying that a small performance gain could be seen on the older RWD cars, but has anyone actually seen an improvement in this latest firmware that is showing measured improvements in the 85D and P85D cars? I think this is the latest 6.2 release people are saying they see top speed and acceleration improvements... does that mean we could also see similar incremental improvements in the older "classic" S85 and P85/P85+ cars?

I didn't see anyone discussing this specific topic so forgive me if there's another thread that already exists...

Due to firmware changes like the 85D and P85D's have seen? I know Elon was quoted as saying that a small performance gain could be seen on the older RWD cars, but has anyone actually seen an improvement in this latest firmware that is showing measured improvements in the 85D and P85D cars? I think this is the latest 6.2 release people are saying they see top speed and acceleration improvements... does that mean we could also see similar incremental improvements in the older "classic" S85 and P85/P85+ cars?

I didn't see anyone discussing this specific topic so forgive me if there's another thread that already exists...

I was thinking the same thing before. Especially after seeing the thread where a guy had taken a screen capture of the Swiss teslamotors.com site where, for a short moment, higher horsepower ratings were displayed for the P85D. If this is actually coming I'm assuming it will be a software update thing so why wouldn't the classic P's get it then?

Let me go find the thread...

Here: P85D to get 768PS??

Any improvements to the P85D's rear motor power should also translate to the P85. Whether Tesla allows the P85 to inherit this improvement via software is another thing, but the motor/inverter should be able to handle it. I received a brand-new drive unit replacement in January, it was ordered directly from the factory. This is the same rear drive unit that's used in the P85D.

Any improvements to the P85D's rear motor power should also translate to the P85. Whether Tesla allows the P85 to inherit this improvement via software is another thing, but the motor/inverter should be able to handle it. I received a brand-new drive unit replacement in January, it was ordered directly from the factory. This is the same rear drive unit that's used in the P85D.

Same situation here, only my drive unit was replaced in November 2014. It must be the identical one to the one in the P85Ds, right? If you looked in the other thread the guy's images showed higher horsepower ratings for both the rear and front motors.

So I guess the only thing that should prevent us P85s from getting the same update would be inadequate wiring/fuses/inverter etc?

IIRC, someone had quoted something Elon said a while back where we would see speed improvements in the non-D cars... It seems like folks are saying that this latest 6.2 build has unlocked a higher top speed on both the P85D and 85D. I don't think P85D owners saw any improvement on 0-60 times, but 85D owners are reporting they are seeing a "sport mode" they can toggle which gives them better 0-60 times. Like you guys, I'm just wondering if these improvements will make their way down to the S85's and P85 variants.

IIRC, someone had quoted something Elon said a while back where we would see speed improvements in the non-D cars... It seems like folks are saying that this latest 6.2 build has unlocked a higher top speed on both the P85D and 85D. I don't think P85D owners saw any improvement on 0-60 times, but 85D owners are reporting they are seeing a "sport mode" they can toggle which gives them better 0-60 times. Like you guys, I'm just wondering if these improvements will make their way down to the S85's and P85 variants.

I've been waiting for 6.2 to show up, and honestly I don't know if any classic P85s have gotten it yet? It could be we're in for a treat.

Seems that the D cars are getting 2.4.153(which probably adds the 'sport mode' in S85D), and the RWD cars are at most at 2.4.136. Mine is still 2.4.124.

I have had 2.4.136 in my classic P85+ for a week now. Haven't noticed any difference except the warmer weather makes my summers stick again. I believe the 85D owners got a second 6.2 update for the sport mode this past Friday(ish). I haven't received any further update, figured, I already have permanent sport mode.

I'm interested in this as well. Will my S85 get unlocked up to 140 mph as indicated by the website? Of course I've never even tested my 125 mph top speed, but I'd still like to know. Improvements to the drive unit firmware would also be welcome.