Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FW 6.2 TACC & autobraking vs throttle question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Saghost

Oct 9, 2013
Delaware
I had a thought as I was fighting my way through traffic without all of the fancy aids this afternoon, and I figured I'd ask how Tesla has it set up.

Firmware 6.2 introduced collision avoidance braking, right?

With a normal cruise control, when you press the accelerator while on cruise, the car accelerates to speeds faster than the cruise control setting until you release the accelerator.

What happens when you press the accelerator while TACC is enabled?

If the car does accelerate then, how does the collision avoidance braking interact with that?

Does it override the accelerator (I assume,) and does it react at the same distance as the TACC does, or at a closer distance?

I don't want anyone getting into an accident trying to find out, but the answers could be interesting - especially to the "I need to follow closer than TACC will to avoid getting cut off" crowd.

This might give the option of either riding the accelerator in that heavy traffic and using the collision braking as a defacto adaptive cruise or just using TACC and hitting the accelerator briefly when someone pulls alongside. (Not recommending that, either - just looking for options for folks who feel like they have none.)
Walter

The car reacts to the accelerator when TACC is enabled, just like cruise control.

If TACC wants to brake but you're providing accelerator input, you will override the TACC. This behavior is often necessary. For instance, if the car in front of you changes lanes to the right and slows in preparation for a right turn, the S will slow to match it for a little bit. The driver needs to apply accelerator input to counteract TACC's desire to brake.

The automatic emergency braking, however, is different. It will only activate when a collision is imminent (in other words, it's determined that a collision is unavoidable. In that case it will apply brakes quickly and much sooner than a human could given reaction times. The purpose of emergency breaking is not to avoid the collision, but to reduce the impact and potential damage of the imminent collision.