Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What has been your favorite/most useful fimware update feature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
First of all I love that we get our cars upgraded with firmware for free! Seriously, that alone is awesome.

Everyone has different preferences and wish lists. But let's not talk about that for a moment. I'd love to know what feature that was added with a firmware update is your favorite so far?

For me there are two features:

- energy prediction for navigation
- guide lines for backup camera

Both these features turned out to be extremely useful to me! The Model S is my first car with a backup camera and without any guide lines I found it hard getting used to the distorted wide angle view. I found myself turning and looking back most of the time when backup up. I just had a hard time aiming. Now with the lines it's 100% better. I use the camera now for driveways and to back into parking or Superchargers so much more confident and quicker.

The energy prediction is probably the most important feature I was missing. Before I had to guess the energy usage to my destination and since I had no idea about elevation changes and road limitations it was always a very rough guess. Same with doing road trips and estimating how much I need to charge to make it to the next Supercharger. Now it's so much easier and best of all, it is always updated in realtime, even and most importantly when charging. After using it for a few weeks now I got a good idea how much driving style corresponds to the energy prediction. It really makes taking road trips so much easier and more convenient. It is especially helpful in adjusting speed in a way that you arrive at a Supercharger with as low of a charge as possible (to get the fastest charging time).

What are your favorite features?

Being able to set the charging starting time was the biggest software update. At first we had to remember to go out and plug in at midnight since we are on a time of use schedule. I think that came in early 2013.

Some people would say adding "creep", but I do not use creep.

My favorite addition is the auto-dimming for the brights. Not because it is the most useful feature, or because it's something I needed, but because it's clearly superhuman. It works in a manner that is clean, correct, and very quick -- so much better than I can do myself and without requiring any of my attention. Great to experience!

My favorite firmware update, by far, was 6.1 (2.2.115), because it finally got rid of the annoying brake booster ticking noise. Before that, I had to play music in the car all the time for my own sanity, and to keep passengers from asking, "what is that clicking sound?"

Of course TACC is awesome and probably the most major new feature introduced in a firmware update, but I find myself using the enhanced park assist features every single time I drive. That, and shuffle mode. : )

Self presenting door handles. ...... They are always in use. (wish we could select which ones we wish to be presented)
GEO fencing for high suspension locations. (It works in the background every time thankfully)
Hill Hold. (great when in San Francisco CA)
Larger fonts. (Older eyes like larger fonts)
Nav volume adj. on the left scroll wheel (nice) other new scroll wheel functionality as stated above.
Back up lines.

I miss not being able to roll all my windows down with the key fob on a hot day. This was taken away&%^R!

I'd like to be able to GEO fence {in combination} as I arrive home, along with ride height adjustment which it already does, I'd like my MS to open my garage door, open my charge port, close all my windows, and close my sunroof. Position my seat & steering wheel to my desired positions for exit in accordance with my 'Parked" profile. {my imaginary driver that I now select when I park so my car reconfigures itself for home arrival and LF occupant exit.} .......nice if it would be able to select FR passenger seat to reposition for exit as well.