Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Prong 240v plug, no neutral

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question.

At my in laws they have a 3 prong 240vac, 50 amp rated outlet. It has L1, L2 and ground but no neutral. Rather than adding a new plug I was thinking of making a pig tail adapter to convert the 3 prong plug to the modern 4 prong, that includes the neutral.

if I do that, of course the neutral would be unconnected. This is fine for some equipment. Is it okay for the Tesla mobile charger? Has anybody tried this? It makes sense to me that the neutral would be unused.

Yes, that's fine. EV Charging only needs L1, L2, and ground. The neutral in the plug is unconnected to the EVSE. It would be prudent to label the adapter appropriately ("EV Only", or some such) since if someone were to try to use it with equipment that used the neutral, damage could result.

Reactions: Rice&Curry
Question.

At my in laws they have a 3 prong 240vac, 50 amp rated outlet. It has L1, L2 and ground but no neutral. Rather than adding a new plug I was thinking of making a pig tail adapter to convert the 3 prong plug to the modern 4 prong, that includes the neutral.

if I do that, of course the neutral would be unconnected. This is fine for some equipment. Is it okay for the Tesla mobile charger? Has anybody tried this? It makes sense to me that the neutral would be unused.

You can also jumper the neutral to the ground. They are generally on the same ground bar that all the grounds and neutrals are wired to in the circuit breaker box (you should go look to prove it to yourself). So: Your 4 prong would be L1, L2, Ground, and (ground)neutral, alla same alla same.

I am now waiting for some 50 year electrician to tell me that all these years I have been wrong and my car won't charge. I don't use an EVSE other than the outlet plug, so I can't tell if the neutral is used or not.

BZZZzzzzt!

You can also jumper the neutral to the ground. They are generally on the same ground bar that all the grounds and neutrals are wired to in the circuit breaker box (you should go look to prove it to yourself). So: Your 4 prong would be L1, L2, Ground, and (ground)neutral, alla same alla same.

-1 (biting my tongue here so I won't be admonished by the mods (again))

I am now waiting for some 50 year electrician to tell me that all these years I have been wrong and my car won't charge. I don't use an EVSE other than the outlet plug, so I can't tell if the neutral is used or not.

BZZZzzzzt!

There is no guarantee that a ground would be the same guage as the neutral would have been, and this is therefore a big risk for an electrical fire. Considering the Telsa doesn't even use the Neutral, there is no point in making a dangerous adapter cord that connects neutral to ground. Just leave the neutral disconnected and put a label on "FOR TESLA/EV USE ONLY", it's far safer.

Reactions: mspohr
Usually if something wants to use the Neutral too it is because it needs 120V as well as the 240V. In that case, without a Neutral, it just won't power up.
I used a UMC with no Neutral, but some other EVSEs I have don't power up at all unless they get Neutral.

Usually if something wants to use the Neutral too it is because it needs 120V as well as the 240V. In that case, without a Neutral, it just won't power up.
I used a UMC with no Neutral, but some other EVSEs I have don't power up at all unless they get Neutral.

This was my concern... that something in the box needed the 120 from one phase. I didn't think it was likely because they probably sell exactly the same box to elsewhere in the world where they don't have 120 at all.

Thanks again!

BZZZzzzzt!
Where's FlasherZ when you need him? :smile:

No one said the car won't charge with your proposed adapter wiring. But your connection of ground to the neutral pin is completely unnecessary and exposes a potential fire danger.

There's a good chance that 6-50 outlet was wired with 6/2 romex, with no neutral wire (6 ga romex is expensive, and 6/2 is ~33% cheaper than 6/3). A quick look at Southwire's web site (if you buy romex at a big box store, it was probably made by Southwire) shows the ground conductor in their 6/2 romex is 10 gauge: http://www.southwire.com/ProductCatalog/XTEInterfaceServlet?contentKey=prodcatsheet6

So now you've built an adapter that co-opts the ground wire into service as an undersized neutral, and allows plugging in a 50A/120V load into an outlet. The undersized "neutral" will be carrying way more current than is safe, and could easily overheat and start a fire.

Where do you find a 120V/50A load? Beats me, but I bet Mr. Murphy can find one.

tl;dr - Jumpering neutral to ground is unnecessary, the car doesn't need it, and is a fire risk. Don't do it.

-1 (biting my tongue here so I won't be admonished by the mods (again))
I guess you have more sense than me... :wink:

Possibly. If all of the 120V loads are wired from the same hot to the non-existent neutral, then yes, it won't power up. But if the 120V loads are split between the two hots (like a big RV with a 14-50 shore power plug), things get ugly quickly, generally resulting in something going boom from voltage spikes (ie, turn on the microwave and the TV on the other hot leg fries).

- - - Updated - - -

This was my concern... that something in the box needed the 120 from one phase. I didn't think it was likely because they probably sell exactly the same box to elsewhere in the world where they don't have 120 at all.

Thanks again!
The UMC doesn't need the neutral. I've charged a car with a 6/3 extension cord that does not pass the neutral (H1/H2/ground only)

People have cut off the neutral pin of a 14-xx adapter to allow it to be plugged into any 14-xx series outlet. Obviously, this is only 100% safe if you are plugging into a higher amperage outlet (ie, a 14-30 adapter in a 14-50 outlet), and somewhat less safe if you intend to remember to dial down the current when plugging into a lower rated outlet.

See Cosmacelf's guide, page 16: http://cosmacelf.net/Home Made Adapters.pdf where he shows cutting off the neutral pin on a 14-50 UMC adapter to plug into a 14-60 outlet.

You should really read that guide, if you haven't already, before making any adapters. Lots of good info and safety warnings.

Last edited:

No, no, no!

This is only true in ONE panel, the service panel. All subpanels require separated ground and neutral to prevent some pretty nasty failure scenarios.

Also, keep in mind that equipment ground conductors ("ground") are permitted to be smaller than the circuit, and frequently are bare conductors and tied to conduits and such - they are not permitted to carry current and therefore tying them together at any place other than the single service panel provides a return path for current through conduits and boxes and such.

This should never be done!

BZZZzzzzt!

Your car will charge if you do this; however, just because it works does not mean it's safe. It is extremely dangerous to tie these together. If there is not a neutral available, you may not use a NEMA 10- or 14-series receptacle (which both require neutral) - you may only use a 6-series receptacle.

(Note that the opposite -- tying ground to neutral -- was legal up to 1996 in 10-series receptacles. That's different, because the neutral is an insulated conductor rated at the circuit's size.)

- - - Updated - - -

This depends. In an appliance where only a single 120V load is used, then this is correct. However, if there are opposing 120V loads on different legs, this will create a problem. When neutral "floats", the two 120V loads will create a series connection between the two legs through the common floating neutral. Depending upon the current drawn by each load, you will see a voltage disparity.

L1 ----- 120V load ----- N ----- 120V load ----- L2

This is very typical in an RV.

Possibly. If all of the 120V loads are wired from the same hot to the non-existent neutral, then yes, it won't power up. But if the 120V loads are split between the two hots (like a big RV with a 14-50 shore power plug), things get ugly quickly, generally resulting in something going boom from voltage spikes (ie, turn on the microwave and the TV on the other hot leg fries).

A storm once broke the neutral wire on the pole outside my house. Half the appliances burnt out from that. It was ugly. I could hear zapping noises all around the house. Thankfully nothing caught on fire. The power company actually reimbursed me partially for the lost equipment since the lines outside had been neglected and intertwined with tree branches that caused the problem.

No, no, no!

This is only true in ONE panel, the service panel. All subpanels require separated ground and neutral to prevent some pretty nasty failure scenarios.

Also, keep in mind that equipment ground conductors ("ground") are permitted to be smaller than the circuit, and frequently are bare conductors and tied to conduits and such - they are not permitted to carry current and therefore tying them together at any place other than the single service panel provides a return path for current through conduits and boxes and such.

This should never be done!

Also, in Europe/Australia/South Africa this simply won't work. Neutral is commonly tied to an ELCB (think GFCI), before being tied to ground. If you have any current that's returned via a path other than neutral, it will trip the ELCB.

I have no idea why this practice isn't followed in the U.S. Seems simpler than having GFCI's all over the place.

Reactions: Bill Price

BZZZzzzzt!
No! This could result in charged items around your home and possible electrocution of some unknowing bystander. Very dangerous and the reason why code forbids bonding anywhere but the source in the main panel.

Reactions: pderbyshire
No! This could result in charged items around your home and possible electrocution of some unknowing bystander. Very dangerous and the reason why code forbids bonding anywhere but the source in the main panel.
Agreed.

Overall to continue the thread, please be very careful guys. Safety first! :)

For wall plug, choose your plug based on the voltage and current needs of the charger. Wire the wall plug as per local regulations based on voltage and current. For example @ 240VAC with 50A = L1, L2, N, G. Don't focus on what wires the charger needs or actually uses. The charger, if using the plug standard, will use the correct pins. Yes, this may lead to an additional wire that is not technically used, however the plug will now be multi-purpose and meet local code for all use cases based on the plug type selected. For example in my region a 14-50 plug would require a minimum of #6 wire for L1/L2/N and a #10 wire which goes back to the main panel or sub panel with a 50A breaker.

If direct wiring a Tesla GEN3 wall charger to the main or a sub main, you can use just L1, L2 and ground with no neutral at 240VAC in North America. For maximum charging rate @ 48A, the L1/L2 in my region would require a minimum of #6 wire (#4 is the largest size wire the charger lugs handle) with a 60A breaker. The ground wire should be at least a #10. Note that there is little or no "return" over the ground. The wall charger, should it detect a fault of any type(low leg, ground fault, etc) should automatically cut off (GFCI and other detection built into charger, diagnostic lights, wireless, communication etc. available to determine fault type). If overall current overdrawn, the breaker will trip.

NOTE: Wire sizes I mentioned are based on a combination of local code plus the wire manufacturer specs plus the length of the wire used. Your region or wire spec may dictate a different wire size based on the use case.

Last edited:
Reactions: TEG