Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jag F-Type R bites the P85+ dust

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title says, was coming back from picking up the kids breakfast in my Loaner P85+ (My P85+ is in for service). Kids were sitting in the rear facing kids seats (I don't have them in mine and thats the only place they want to be in the loaner), anyhow we're a mile from home and hit the last stop light. This is a stop light where three lanes merge into two and i'm in the middle (to be inside) lane. There are bunch of cars in the two main lines and then the obligatory ass comes up the inside lane to try and cut past everyone, low and behold its an F-Type R. Lights change and I hear the Jag rumble as he floors it, I do the same after a slight hesitation (I didn't initally think he was going to floor it), I beat him handily (He didn't even get alongside) to the merge and i then immediately back off the pedal to the 45mph limit, he ends up coming around looking at me and then gassing it past the limit. Best part was my kids laughing at him, made me chuckle.

I do love to do this now and again.:biggrin:

As the title says, was coming back from picking up the kids breakfast in my Loaner P85+ (My P85+ is in for service). Kids were sitting in the rear facing kids seats (I don't have them in mine and thats the only place they want to be in the loaner), anyhow we're a mile from home and hit the last stop light. This is a stop light where three lanes merge into two and i'm in the middle (to be inside) lane. There are bunch of cars in the two main lines and then the obligatory ass comes up the inside lane to try and cut past everyone, low and behold its an F-Type R. Lights change and I hear the Jag rumble as he floors it, I do the same after a slight hesitation (I didn't initally think he was going to floor it), I beat him handily (He didn't even get alongside) to the merge and i then immediately back off the pedal to the 45mph limit, he ends up coming around looking at me and then gassing it past the limit. Best part was my kids laughing at him, made me chuckle.

Love to hear it:biggrin:

I too have a P85+ and find it very difficult to not engage solicitations from other drivers to see who's fastest. As tesla owners we all know very few cars can touch us. However when my kids are in my car I resist temptations at all levels. Even the quick 2-4 second burst within the speed limit to prove the other driver they are not worthy. It's too easy to lose control under those torque conditions (even with traction on) and that cargo is just too precious. (I guess even if it's not too easy it only needs to happen once for us to regret the decision.) Also I don't want my kids growing up thinking they should be doing that when they get their licence because "Dad did".

I'm sure you are a very safe driver and assessed this situation dispassionately. I just wanted to chime in just in case some others may read this thread and not be as such.

At least the kids sitting in the rear seats got to see the other car the whole time :)

Last edited:
Also I don't want my kids growing up thinking they should be doing that when they get their licence because "Dad did"

Good parenting comes in many forms. Doing something like this that is relatively safe shouldn't be judged as reckless parenting or even carelessness. Some people risk their kids much more than this, too much. Some helicopter over their kids so much that that too can be harmful.

The lesson here is look what dad can do in an electric car. Imagine what we all could do if we raised our kids to imagine a better world for all of humanity. One open mind (like Elon's) can make an amazing difference.

Good parenting comes in many forms. Doing something like this that is relatively safe shouldn't be judged as reckless parenting or even carelessness. Some people risk their kids much more than this, too much. Some helicopter over their kids so much that that too can be harmful.

The lesson here is look what dad can do in an electric car. Imagine what we all could do if we raised our kids to imagine a better world for all of humanity. One open mind (like Elon's) can make an amazing difference.

I don't hesitate to put my kids in the rear, and have some fun within the speed limits. As long as there are no other cars around, and the road is dry and nice, I don't see the harm in it. We even come to a complete stop on long stretches, if conditions are good, and floor it - up to the speed limits. Maybe this isn't that smart? Well, its a lot of fun, and we all love our Tesla for it. :love:

They do want me to do often though, and I make sure to explain when and why we cant always do this. It here are cars nearby, in front/behind, if the speed limits are low, the road slippery etc. I like to think this only makes them enjoy the electric experience, and also get some insight in that even though its fun to hit it sometimes, we always have to be considerate to other, and adjust to road conditions.

And they know the difference between ICE and electric cars.:)

How this turn out when they get their set of own keys.. well, that remains to be seen.:wink:

Using Motor Trend's figures the Jag has slightly faster 0-60 times and runs the quarter mile almost a full second faster.
However the immediacy of the Tesla surge is a game changer in any around town show of muscle.

Using Motor Trend's figures the Jag has slightly faster 0-60 times and runs the quarter mile almost a full second faster.

In the best of three runs by an experienced driver using launch control/throttle drop techniques.

One of the attractions of EVs in general and the S in particular is that the performance is very repeatable and doesn't require either special modes or lots of experience.
Walter

However the immediacy of the Tesla surge is a game changer in any around town show of muscle.

I don't think much can match the P85+ up-to 45 mph, certainly nothing will fly by let alone come alongside in that short a distance.

For those few commenting on me 'racing' with my kids in the car, It was up-to 45 mph within the speed limit in 60 Degree weather (yes we almost hit 70 in DC yesterday). No pedestrians and no hazards, hairpins etc. I'm not going to get in a debate about this, my kids are the most precious things in my life and I think I'm experienced enough to determine when to have fun and when to not have fun. I'm sure some of you grew up going on vacation lying in the back window of your parents sedan, oh how things have changed :biggrin:.

67165bda4b77df03e7ab74747381c4be.jpg

This is great. My kid often goes "3 2 1 blast off" when he knows we've pulled onto our road. It's a straight road for quite a while before our driveway and it's back-woodsy enough to rarely have any other cars.

There is always a time and place for fun. My four year old constantly asks me if we can "go fast now". Many times I have to tell her no. But on a straight road with little or no traffic ahead, a quick zip up to the speed limit makes her happy and isn't dangerous.

I did not beat a Jaguar but I did take out a very optimistic mini van yesterday, twice. For some reason he seemed to think he would do better the second time. I wasn't even really accelerating hard, just fast enough to get away from the obnoxious sound his engine was making.

I bought a new Sapphire Blue F type earlier this year. LOVE IT. I didn't think another car could put a smile on my face like the "F". That is until I got the TESLA a few weeks ago.

Yep, the garage is happy :)
Love that color, my XK8 was Sapphire Blue. Do you have the coupe or rag top?

- - - Updated - - -

This is great. My kid often goes "3 2 1 blast off" when he knows we've pulled onto our road. It's a straight road for quite a while before our driveway and it's back-woodsy enough to rarely have any other cars.
I do that with my Great Dane and he said let me out!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    620.1 KB · Views: 264
I did not beat a Jaguar but I did take out a very optimistic mini van yesterday, twice. For some reason he seemed to think he would do better the second time. I wasn't even really accelerating hard, just fast enough to get away from the obnoxious sound his engine was making.

Minivans count but my favorite are the souped up Honda's, Toyota's and Subaru's, especially the ones with big loud exhausts.

Last edited: