Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery talk with: Ann Marie Sastry from Sakti3, LG’s Prabhakar Patil and Brett Smith

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made it six minutes in and no one had mentioned the 800lb gorilla who is in the process of doubling the world's capacity for LiOn cells (while significantly reducing cost). Nor was there any mention that you can not build more BeVs without A LOT more batteries. I gave up as I saw no value.

I made it six minutes in and no one had mentioned the 800lb gorilla who is in the process of doubling the world's capacity for LiOn cells (while significantly reducing cost). Nor was there any mention that you can not build more BeVs without A LOT more batteries. I gave up as I saw no value.

Starting from 15:58 they talk at length about Tesla Gigafactory. Prabhakar@LG Chem and Brett Smith from the Center for Automotive Research were positive on how it will change the landscape, but Sastry from Sakti3 takes a dig at Elon's decision to stick to one or more specific form factors and she peddles their company's Li based solid state technology which according to her completely eliminates the issue of form-factors, spacing, packing and cooling issues. She believes the current Lion technology will be a bridge to an eventual solid-state tech and the incentives that are currently in place are absolutely necessary to get to that day when their company's solid state tech will bring the price down to $100/kWh and also solve a host of other issues that plague the current Lion electrolyte based tech. She believes that they will get there for non-automotive use cases in two years and 'shortly' thereafter for EVs also. Tesla's solution was referred as 'old school traditional solution' using commodity cells.

Predictably all of them panned hydrogen fuel cells. And also the fancy ones like Zinc-air etc.. As per Prabhakar, 'not in our life times'

Ann Marie Sastry is an amazing 'smooth' talker. She can sell anything.

Starting from 15:58 they talk at length about Tesla Gigafactory. Prabhakar@LG Chem and Brett Smith from the Center for Automotive Research were positive on how it will change the landscape, but Sastry from Sakti3 takes a dig at Elon's decision to stick to one or more specific form factors and she peddles their company's Li based solid state technology which according to her completely eliminates the issue of form-factors, spacing, packing and cooling issues. She believes the current Lion technology will be a bridge to an eventual solid-state tech and the incentives that are currently in place are absolutely necessary to get to that day when their company's solid state tech will bring the price down to $100/kWh and also solve a host of other issues that plague the current Lion electrolyte based tech. She believes that they will get there for non-automotive use cases in two years and 'shortly' thereafter for EVs also. Tesla's solution was referred as 'old school traditional solution' using commodity cells.

Predictably all of them panned hydrogen fuel cells. And also the fancy ones like Zinc-air etc.. As per Prabhakar, 'not in our life times'

Ann Marie Sastry is an amazing 'smooth' talker. She can sell anything.

Of the form factor, JB Straubel has said "We challenge it constantly."

Sastry contradicts herself over those videos.

I hope for her sake her batteries are far superior to Elons otherwise in her own words "many battery start ups fail because of major companies already using economics to scale, having infrastructure and low margins".
Assuming the gigafactory is up and running before she brings something to market for EVs.

But remember she touts a completely different technology - solid state. according to her the current LiOn is outdated. So she believes that having a huge factory that produces batteries with yesterday's tech will be an impediment.