Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't imagine going back (or Driving the Future Today)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla first appealed to me due to its use of alternate fuel technologies.

However, when I first went to the Tesla store what struck me was that Tesla has reached the simplicity on the other side of complexity (which is the grail for those of us in engineering design).

They have removed the biggest issue with ICEs after the obvious issues of a finite fuel supply that gets more and more costly to extract and the emissions from the burning of that fuel. That issue is all those moving parts that if not properly maintained lead to failure.

There is no oil, no belts, no hoses, no transmission, fewer fluids to check and maintain, a much smaller footprint, less need for as an extensive of a set of mechanical parts, less needed for the exhaust system. It just makes sense.

Will there be problems? Sure, especially because the technology is new. But the fewer the moving parts, the less the items to have a failure.

Any proposal that looks to make the ICE more efficient or that keeps the general concept but replaces the fuel source just seems antiquated to me now. (I know that many won't agree, especially folks reared on troubleshooting, maintaining, and building ICE engines). Driving a Tesla is driving the future and those who want to make the old engine more efficient really seem to be embracing the old rather than this step function improvement in the technology.

With that said, I completely understand that better technology does not always win. (here's where I'll lose some more people). If better technology wins, Microsoft Windows simply would not dominate the computer market the way it does as there have always been and still are many better operating systems.

So, here's to driving the future now and gaining more converts.

I was just telling someone about the exact same thing.

I've been a promiscuous car "wh*re" most of my life. Everytime I got a new car, within about 6-8 months I had already identified what my next car will be. (Which isn't to say I ever turned over cars *that* quickly, but I always had an idea about what I wanted next).

This is the first car I have ever had were there is absolutely *nothing* else I can imagine having. (Other than, of course, the Model S: The Next Generation)...