Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brain plasticity in children and adults

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
They just did a study on this and talked about it on NPR. They compared 3-5 year olds against college students and tested them on figuring out a new device and what pattern it takes to get a light to turn on. Adults kept trying the same pattern even if it didn't work the last time and kids move right on and think outside the box. It's just easier for kids to figure new devices out than adults but that doesn't mean older people can't learn technology if they want.

They just did a study on this and talked about it on NPR. They compared 3-5 year olds against college students and tested them on figuring out a new device and what pattern it takes to get a light to turn on. Adults kept trying the same pattern even if it didn't work the last time and kids move right on and think outside the box. It's just easier for kids to figure new devices out than adults but that doesn't mean older people can't learn technology if they want.
I don't care what age you are, those seem like some stupid adults. Maybe they were busy with "college activities" (drinking) immediately preceding the test.

Well there were 150 in each group. There is a reason why kids can learn multiple languages with ease and adults largely can't.
While I might agree with you for 100 year old adults (oh here comes the hate PMs...), but college students need to be able to try more than 1 strategy to solve a problem. If not, we're screwed.

Model S Owner Age

While I might agree with you for 100 year old adults (oh here comes the hate PMs...), but college students need to be able to try more than 1 strategy to solve a problem. If not, we're screwed.

They didn't only try one solution. I didn't read the study, just listened to the report but adults tend to stick to a pattern they think will work. Adult's brains have less plasticity.
The Fantastic Plastic Brain | The Kavli Foundation

Point is kids pick up things in general with greater ease than adults. You disagree though which is fine.

Either way, adults obviously do fine with the Model S and age doesn't prohibit them for learning a rather simple interface. Not sure what the argument is here.

I dunno where you got that impression. I completely agree with your first sentence.

Well because you said all the college students in the study must have not been very intelligent and that this only applies if the adults are 100 years old. I was just commenting on the statement about kids picking up iPads and other devices and figuring them out quickly.

Anyway, my parents have a Model S and while I am still tech support for their Mac, I rarely get calls about how to use the Model S. Anecdotal I know but one more example.

I have a degree in cognitive science, and we did cover this general subject. Kids brains are super duper plastic. Adult brains are a little bit plastic.

But I don't think brain plasticity is what you are looking for regarding problem solving. Even in kids, the brain takes time to change, doing puzzles every day for a month will have an effect, trying a puzzle once and failing won't.

It is more likely that in the puzzle, the adults have a plan of attack and try small variations on that plan, or have experienced something that is similar, and are trying a pattern that they know works on similar things, while the kids have no experience and throw different ideas at it until it works.