Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long after finalize...to adjust an option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my car still is in the sourcing parts phase. Is there a rule of thumb timeframe after finalization...or before production that an option can be changed? I'm sure it varies depending on what you want to adjust. Let's say I've had a change of heart regarding color....and want switch. I confirmed my original color 3 weeks ago....am I SOL? I saw a black ms on the road yesterday...but hadn't seen one in real life before then....now I'm hooked. I called the sc today and the ownership guy put in the request and told me it shouldn't be a problem at all. I told him my hopes were sufficiently up...and he reiterated the change shouldn't be an issue. Happy day! Then my ds returned my email from earlier in the day...and stated he thought we were too late, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Ugh...like a punch in the gut since I thought I was in clear.
so...anyone else successfully make this change a few weeks after finalizing?
I know this probably seems dumb.....I really want that change.

edit....also I'm anticipating some spirited blowback from the forum on this issue.:smile: I understand the definition of 'finalize'. I also understand that not everyone can go changing things around all willy nilly after the button has been pressed.
I'm just thinking the paint color may be more of an accommodating switch vs....say a charger...or something internal.
Thanks to all for your kind responses.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree. I originally had silver....which is what I had on my previous 2 cars. To be fair I've not seen silver in person either...so who knows. I do keep my cars relatively clean...is I think black would be great. I've always admired it,,makes the accents 'pop' etc...shiny...all that good stuff. Seeing one in person put me over the edge. I'd always gone the silver route because it hides dirt and scratches fairly well...and is classy.
either way, I'm getting a badass car....but black would be great.

I actually am days away from production (I think?) and put in a change request yesterday. Mine was to add Supercharging and add a second charger. The DS said the SC is no problem (saved $500 in the long run) but wasn't sure about the dual charger. He put in the request and said we should know in a few days. By 6pm that day, I saw the "Design" PDF on MyTesla updated to include Supercharging, but it did not show the dual chargers :(

I haven't heard back from DS yet, but I am guessing it was rejected because of it being too far down the process, especially with something that can be added later (at my cost). I was adamant that I didn't want it to delay my car, especially since I was on the fence about the dual charger anyways but decided last minute to just get it. Works out well for me though, the decision (fate) is now in Teslas hands and out of my control...I really don't see myself spending $3600 to add it later unless I can't get through a day without it.

On a side note, it was nice to know that I am that close to production!

First, let me say that it never hurts to ask. Yes, we all know what the word "finalize" means but I know that I am one of many (make that MANY) that made changes after finalization. For me it was 85 to P85. Only Tesla can tell you cut-off date, but don't be too heartbroken if yoru request is too late. EVERY Model S is beautiful.

I'm sure they'll do what they can for you, but it's good that you do know what the word finalize means. Best of luck!
Krugerrand,
LOL....yes, I just wanted to get that pesky definition out of the way. Finalize clearly means that I can just change whatever I want whenver I want, right?:wink:

I'll just wait and see what they can do. It'll just give me a helpful distraction from the standard, 'waiting on delivery' obsession.
Good times!

Thanks all.

Finalize clearly means that I can just change whatever I want whenver I want, right?:wink:

You would not be alone in your thinking if you believed that. I think Tesla needs to have at least 3 phases of finalization for some, that extends over a period of time, perhaps as much as a week or two.

Sort of Finalize: I'm pretty sure I've made up my mind.
Really Finalize: For sure I've made up my mind.
Final Finalize: Most definitely on pain of death I've made up my mind. At this point big, red, flashing neon letters need to appear on the computer screen: Congratulations on your AS IS purchase!

@ajw, I would so rather have silver than black! When I go to Los Angeles I see at least 20 Model S a day. The silver with pano roof looks fantastic. I had a black car once. What a nightmare keeping it clean and swirl free. Tesla paint picks up swirls really easily. Be sure to get aftermarkert paint armor for the front and while you are swirl free consider Opticoat Pro. I have dolphin gray now which is fairly easy to keep clean. If I was to order a new S, first choice would be silver , last choice black.

@ajw, I would so rather have silver than black! When I go to Los Angeles I see at least 20 Model S a day. The silver with pano roof looks fantastic. I had a black car once. What a nightmare keeping it clean and swirl free. Tesla paint picks up swirls really easily. Be sure to get aftermarkert paint armor for the front and while you are swirl free consider Opticoat Pro. I have dolphin gray now which is fairly easy to keep clean. If I was to order a new S, first choice would be silver , last choice black.

Thanks Gene! Both have positives and negatives....I'm sure I'll be happy either way it shakes out.
..and yes, I just got an Opticoat pro estimate this morning. I hadn't considered it before...but it seems like a great investment to have it done early.
If I stay silver, I do have the pano...so it is nice to hear that it looks great in person!

I changed my base car color about 1.5 months after "finalizing" my order. I originally picked grey, and then I didn't like the way grey looked so "dull" in bright sunlight (personal preference). So, then I switch to Pearl White about 3 weeks after confirming. Then I saw Pearl White in bright sunlight about 1.5 months after ordering and didn't like how it looked like someone dropped a 10lb bag of glitter on it, so I switched to the standard white. They always were careful to phrase it as "this is just a request, we can't guarantee it, but..." Oh, and then I changed from coil to air suspension. Basically, when your car is so backed up in the build phase, it seems like there is some wiggle room before it goes in to production.

Probably not going to help you at all, but ...

1) having owned both silver and black cars, I can tell you that you'd be going from the easiest color to maintain to the most difficult one.
2) that said, I have seen both black and silver on the MS and the black looks SWEET! :-D

Probably not going to help you at all, but ...

1) having owned both silver and black cars, I can tell you that you'd be going from the easiest color to maintain to the most difficult one.
2) that said, I have seen both black and silver on the MS and the black looks SWEET! :-D

This does help CricTic,,,or at least confirms the way I see it as well. I've never owned a black car...but always secretly lusted after them from afar. My past 2 cars were silver, which I like just fine, and they definitely appeal to the sensible 'easy to maintain' side of me. I do feel, with this purchase, I should break out a bit...and venture away from mother silver.
Agree...I saw a black one IRL a few days ago (which spawned this whole thing)...and it was SWEET!