Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight too low and cannot be adjusted further.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TMS 85D dec '15
My headlights are pointing too low and the adjustment screw does not allow me to adjust further.
From the MCU1 screen there is choice of 3 settings: 0, 1 and 2. These do not work.
Could it be a fault in a small light adjustment motor? Where can I find details about this motor?
Can it be the headlight is simply mounted pointing to low? (They have pointed low in whole ownership)
Can they be adjusted besides the 6 mm hex screw? (install guide after front repair)
In Denmark all cars must pass a simple safety check up every 2 years. Mine failed due to the headlight test.

Thanks for your help. if there is another post about this, please link to it.

I don't see how you couldn't get the correct amount of adjustment using the appropriate headlight screw. I doubt they could physically be mounted & aimed to low to the point the adjustment couldn't be correctly aimed unless the lower headlight tabs/mounts possibly are broken or something that's causing the headlights to droop from the upper tabs/mounts. Might need to remove the bumper and check. If all the tabs are correctly fastened and not broken then possibly could try to shim the lower mounting position(s) to raise it up? AFAIK there's no option on the projector headlights to adjust them via MCU that's more for the LED headlights 2016.5+.

I found this thread where WD40 seamed to help.

I don't see how you couldn't get the correct amount of adjustment using the appropriate headlight screw. I doubt they could physically be mounted & aimed to low to the point the adjustment couldn't be correctly aimed unless the lower headlight tabs/mounts possibly are broken or something that's causing the headlights to droop from the upper tabs/mounts. Might need to remove the bumper and check. If all the tabs are correctly fastened and not broken then possibly could try to shim the lower mounting position(s) to raise it up? AFAIK there's no option on the projector headlights to adjust them via MCU that's more for the LED headlights 2016.5+.
I took the car to Tesla service and they gave up. They suggested I go to a non tesla shop or order new headlights. $200 service visit and still not fixed.
the adjustment motors in my headlights can be adjusted manually and also have s small servo motor.
This unit can be taken out but I cannot find the OEM part number.

32330-1.jpg

Sorry, can’t help with the part number but are you sure you have used both of the adjustment points? There are two screws, one for horizontal and one for vertical adjustment, this is how it looks behind

5DD04A14-91BF-4846-901A-4B4EC55A054C.jpeg

And you can reach to these without removing the bumper. Just the frunk.

I have got this same issue. Bought my 2015 Model S to use as a taxi, but it has failed the test because the left headlight is positioned too low and the adjuster screw didn't work.

I was told that I'll need a whole new headlight unit, based on this I thought if it's broken then there's no harm in trying to fix it myself.

I took the vertical adjuster off the back of the headlight, it was a struggle because of the clips but a flat head screwdriver managed those, I noticed the thing that turns when you turn the adjuster screw wasn't gripping the stiff metal rod inside, so sprayed WD40 at the bottom of the metal rod which helped its movement and I put a small 1cm x 1cm piece of rubber resistance band over the end of the rod and put the tube back over it. The adjustment screw now works and I managed to raise the headlight to the same level as the right hand one, but I cannot operate the raising and lowering of the lights from inside the car. I called the test centre and they told me it's necessary for that function to work if I have it for taxi use. Any ideas on what to do?

Attachments

• IMG20240301122043.jpg
    IMG20240301122043.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 12