Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav maps - not updating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has started happening over the last week or so ... when I start driving, all map portions near where I started are fine, but after I drive about 5 km, I drive past the edge of the earth apparently. New map segments to not appear on the nav screen, and the "known" map eventually scrolls off, and I find myself in the middle of nothingness. I've been at 5.9 (94) since end of March, no recent f/w upgrades. I've reset the screen twice, but no improvement.

If I stop moving, map portions for the new area start popping in. I'm figuring there's something funny with my 3G connection and map updates is just the most obvious manifestation. There has also been the odd, random stop to internet radio feed as well.

BadMaps1.jpg

Last edited:
If this happens - first thing to try is to reboot the display, in case it's a software glitch. Otherwise it's likely an issue with the AT&T network in the area - which could be resolved by using a non-AT&T phone hotspot.

If this happens - first thing to try is to reboot the display, in case it's a software glitch. Otherwise it's likely an issue with the AT&T network in the area - which could be resolved by using a non-AT&T phone hotspot.

I did mention in initial post that I've re-started twice, to no avail. I'll try the hotspot thing to see if that changes things - anyone know which carrier Tesla uses in Canada? AT&T doesn't exist here, we have Bell, Telus and Rogers. I'll need to make sure I test with a phone that's not tied to the same carrier.

New info: problem appears to be related to "account" based data. So Nav has an account, as does Slacker radio. These two are acting up frequently. Non-account based internet radio works fine, web browsing works fine. Also, all of this is happening within the well-covered metro area of Vancouver, BC, so I'm not spending any time in areas with poor cell coverage (other than a 1 km tunnel on daily commute!). On today's drive, the nav maps actually came in and updated fairly quickly, but all traffic info was missing from the maps.

There could be something wrong then. Even when working the traffic isn't that useful in 5.9 so wouldn't depend on it anyway. Waze is much more useful if you have a smartphone you can use and that had a good signal. Not ideal but maybe 6.0 will address this.