Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FYI: 407 billing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fellow model S owners, please check your 407 bill.
I had 407 take pictures of my plate instead of relying on the transponder. The first time I check my bill in over 6 months and I found that they slap on some average kms if they couldn't take your license plate at either entry / exit. For me, the average calculated kms is way more than what I usually do. I thought they would calculate the distance between last entry or exit but they don't. So, please check your bill.

I've been keeping an eye on mine and so far, so good. For me, it was hit and miss getting the transponder to work. There is a tiny spot to the right of the rear view mirror that will sometimes work if the transponder is oriented in a specific direction. Early on, I called 407 and they added my plate to their system due to the coated windshield not letting the signal through.

I've heard mounting the transponder to the rear of the plastic nose-cone will work, but I don't really want to do that because you can't see/hear it from there and I fear the cold may degrade the battery.

Someone else reported that one of the Toronto loaner cars had the transponder mounted to the rear window. Haven't tried that yet.

I find that certain 407 on-ramps / exits reliably detect my transponder, while others do not. I called 407 about the initial 'no transponder' charges that appeared on my bill and had them removed. They also registered my license plate so that it wouldn't happen in the future.
No problems since mid December 2013.

My license plate is flagged as well but if they don't snap a clear pic of your license on either entry / exit, 407 slap on average distance charge instead of distance to nearest exit.
My usual commute is usually 2 exits and quite a few times 407 charged me 15km instead because they couldn't take both entry and exit photo. Just beware of that kind of billing practice.

The transponder on rear window does work but my car is tinted and the glue would ruin my tint.

My license plate is flagged as well but if they don't snap a clear pic of your license on either entry / exit, 407 slap on average distance charge instead of distance to nearest exit.

I am reasonable sure that hasn't happened to me, but I think I will go back and look at a few invoices to be sure. My problem is I don't use the 407 in a predictable fashion, and use multiple entry and exit points throughout the month.

Is this "average distance" charge noted in some way on the invoice, or do you have to actually look at each entry/exit line and the associated kilometres? Just wondering what to look for.

it will say your entry point - CalcTrip or entry point - FlatToll. According to 407 FAQ, calc trip is based on a median of the last 10 trips taken. However, I looked at my bill, all the trips are 3.1 km and the calc trips are 13km. highly suspicious billing practice.....