Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger quotes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lerxt

Feb 21, 2014
Australia
Has anyone had a quote on the cost of putting a 40 amp charging power point at their home? I live in a Village house so I have the room for a charger in my carports. My plan is charge at home almost all the time.

Any comments on a 60kw/h car with a 100km drive everyday?

If I had my own garage, I would definitely have a charger in. But since I am getting the 85kWh an seldom need to drive 100km in a day, I wouldn't really need 40A.

Even with a 60kWh and 100 km/day, you could still keep it well running, unless you are gone from home for days. And that even with a 13A normal socket. It also depends whether or not you are prepared to plug it in, every time you come home, or too lazy for that. You could drive 100 km/day for three days and still have charge to spare.

Just thinking of that - I wonder if the car is locked against driving with a charger attached? I can just see someone zipping along, with the charging cable dragging after the car! I would be surprised if Tesla didn't build in this protection against driving while plugged in.

driving-off_5.jpg

Haha, yes. The car will not be able to drive off while it's plugged in. It's true for any plug-in vehicle (Leaf, Volt, etc.)

One more good reason to get an EV, if you are not a procedural person of nature.

I never thought of it until now, but I cannot see any reason for ICE cars to have a similar mechanism, blocking engine start if a nozzle is attached.

About the 13A vs 40A vs 80A vs supercharger:

As long as you don't get Chinese plates, and you are not driving commercially (like a taxi, limousine, delivery, car sharing or other similar service), then I cannot really see a need for more than 13A at home, for those who are able to plug in. Where are you going to spend all those km's going to, when living in Hong Kong? If you get Chinese plates, and go deep into the mainland every day before superchargers are in place, well then yes.

As for those who don't have the possibility to charge when home, it would be more relevant with a more powerful charger, so you can charge up a lot, while you are shopping/dining/watching a movie and so on. Or maybe at work, all depending? At the moment I don't have access to a charger where I live, but I am working on having just a 13A connection available, to hopefully steer clear of most bureaucratic and technical obstacles. As expected, there are the usual paperwork and other admin hoops to be jumped, so I'm not holding my breath on that one.

The company I work for doesn't guarantee me a parking, and if I get a spot there I still have to pay and there is presently no charging available yet as far as I know (so much for a green profile!)

Back to the garage, even with a 13A socket at home, if you didn't go out on the weekend, you could fully charge your car, and that would give 100 km for Monday to Friday, with no charging at all. With the 60kWh, slightly less obviously.

To sum it up for Hong Kong, the way I see it:

1) Charge at home, or your local paid and reserved long term parking spot, is fine at 13A for most owners

2) Charge at the shopping mall and other places that you typically visit for a few hours at a time, should be 40A or more to suit those who cannot charge at home.

Superchargers in shopping mall parkings is inevitable in Hong Kong, it's just a matter of time. There shouldn't be much of a problem for Tesla Motors HK to negotiate favourable terms to install superchargers - the question that remains quite open to me is Will Hong Kong super chargers mainly be fenced off behind some kind of paid access? Charging is free, but parking paid for. Hong Kong is a bit unique in this regard because you can hardly park anywhere without paying, and I find it hard to believe that Tesla Motors HK will pay for both charging and parking, especially in the long run.

What will happen when there are 1,000+ or even 10,000+ Teslas in HK some day? Mark mentioned this already, it will be exciting to see the result.

It's hard to say what they will do about parking fees... at one of the superchargers in the US which is installed in a parking garage, Tesla is paying the parking fee (for short-term parking anyway, ~1 hour or so, just enough time to charge your car). They can likely negotiate rates with the parking garages before installing the superchargers.

Thanks for the replies.
I live in Sai Kung and work at the Airport so I will do 100km every trip to work. My goal it to be able to do 2 trips there with aircon on music blasting etc. this will give me opportunity to do side trips on the way to and from work on occasion and then go out at night if need be. I don't want to be restricted.

I will probably get a 40amp point in he carport just in case I need a reasonably quick charge.

Having said that, I want to not overspend so I'd like to get the 60kw/h if I can. I have actually ordered an 85 but I have a few days left to change. Fingers crossed for no FRT or it will be cancelled....

My config.
85kwh
Metalic Blue
Black leather standard seats. (Grey is nice too...)
alcantara lining
tech package
parking sensors
No Sunroof!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the replies.

I live in Sai Kung and work at the Airport so I will do 100km every trip to work. My goal it to be able to do 2 trips there with aircon on music blasting etc. this will give me opportunity to do side trips on the way to and from work on occasion and then go out at night if need be. I don't want to be restricted.

The way I see this range thing is, I'm counting on a 300km "range" with a 60kwh battery. The max km I would do in a given day would be about 150. Given battery degradation over the years and lots of aircon going and real world driving ... Will I be at all restricted?

I will probably get a 40amp point in the carport just in case I need a reasonably quick charge.

Having said that, I want to not overspend so I'd like to get the 60kw/h if I can. I have actually ordered an 85 but I have a few days left to change. Fingers crossed for no FRT or it will be cancelled....

My config.
85kwh
Metalic Blue
alcantara lining
tech package
parking sensors
No Sunroof!!!!

Any comments on the config?

Thanks for the replies.

My config.
85kwh
Metalic Blue
alcantara lining
tech package
parking sensors
No Sunroof!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Any comments on the config?

Stick to the 85kWh!

I'm also for no sunroof, despite the coolness factor, it's one more thing that can break, and cost more. I am taking the air package as well, and silver metallic, light leather upholstery, tech and 85kWh obviously. Styling the car in all silver/black would look nice, but I'm really getting the car to have a family EV, not a Saturday night show off bimbomobile.

The 85kWh battery will last longer over the years, driving being the same, as you don't need to squeeze it as much to cover the same distance. You don't HAVE to have the battery changed after 8.0 years, but for any given driving needs, 85 should surely outlast 60.

You also get slightly faster acceleration, as if 6.5 isn't sufficiently fast!

Since its it's your own garage, stick to your plan of getting a 40A charger. Forking out for a model S, 13 or 40 amp, cost alone shouldn't be what decides your charger type.

If money wasn't the issue, I would have went for performance plus, if nothing else, then to increase the probability to convince ICE owning friends of switching their Beamer/Benz/Bugatti/BYD to a Tesla.

Stick to the 85kWh!

I'm also for no sunroof, despite the coolness factor, it's one more thing that can break, and cost more. I am taking the air package as well, and silver metallic, light leather upholstery, tech and 85kWh obviously. Styling the car in all silver/black would look nice, but I'm really getting the car to have a family EV, not a Saturday night show off bimbomobile.

The 85kWh battery will last longer over the years, driving being the same, as you don't need to squeeze it as much to cover the same distance. You don't HAVE to have the battery changed after 8.0 years, but for any given driving needs, 85 should surely outlast 60.

You also get slightly faster acceleration, as if 6.5 isn't sufficiently fast!

Since its it's your own garage, stick to your plan of getting a 40A charger. Forking out for a model S, 13 or 40 amp, cost alone shouldn't be what decides your charger type.

If money wasn't the issue, I would have went for performance plus, if nothing else, then to increase the probability to convince ICE owning friends of switching their Beamer/Benz/Bugatti/BYD to a Tesla.

You got friends who own Bugatti?! Cooool!

You got friends who own Bugatti?! Cooool!

No, my friends and family mainly use public transportation, like I do, or a budget style car. My colleagues, though, some of them have a longer commute where public transport is not well laid out, often full or otherwise just very inconvenient. Just wanted to throw around some fancy car names all with B.

For those of you looking for charger help, Telsa sent me to EV Power. I haven't put it in yet but in discussions. The disappointment is the FRT. Not officially waived is what I understand? Anyone hear differently? Not paying an addition $500k.

For those of you looking for charger help, Telsa sent me to EV Power. I haven't put it in yet but in discussions. The disappointment is the FRT. Not officially waived is what I understand? Anyone hear differently? Not paying an addition $500k.

Believe me, it is waived. I grow up in HK.

Do post your updates on setting up chargers on here. Thanks!

Thanks. I'm waiting now on the proposal. Aside from ev power, anyone know of any other qualified electricians to put in a charging station in a residential building garage? Would not mind getting a competitive bid.

Note that the charger is on board for the Tesla cars. Cable and plugs come with the car.

If you can do overnight charging, and drive less than 100km a day, a 13A socket should suffice - that is very cheap and simple to install. Alternatively, a 32A socket is also relatively simple.

A charging station is neat and tidy, but putting in one of those sockets will cost you about 1/3rd to 1/2 of a charging station.

Cost is (a) MCB breaker, (b) cable + trunking from MCB to socket, (c) switch, (d) socket.

Mark is right, the charger is in the car. You should call them "charging station" or "EVSE (Electric Vehicle Service Equipment).

I installed a total of 7 EVSEs (5 in my garage, 1 at my daughter's house, and 1 at my son's house). All EVSEs do not require wall socket nor switch. It requires 2 hots and 1 ground and NO neutral. For 80Amp you need a minimal of 4 awg (I used 2 awg wires since it continuously draws 10kW for several hours); for 40Amp you need 8 awg (i used 6 awg). The conduit/raceway should be EMT rated.

If you want a permanent wall mount EVSE and you are handy, you can buy a EVSE kit and DIY for few hundred US$.

American HPWC 80A @ 240VAC = ~20kW with dual chargers. American Model S Mobile Connector with NEMA 14-50 adapter can pull 10kW. Simple mistake by Waidy above.

HK cars will have 3-phase Type-2 inlet like EU, so the single/dual charger limitations are different than the relatively simple single phase cars delivered in North America. Some people in EU have found that if you don't wire a 3-phase Type 2 charging station correctly to single phase power, the Model S will only charge at 16A (3.7kW) with a single charger instead of the expected 32A (7.3kW). The Mobile connector with the IEC Blue adapter should take care of things so you get 220V 32A (7kW) with a single charger. 3 phase power in HK @ 380V 16A should deliver 10.5kW (~52km/hr) to the Model S either through a charging station or the Mobile Connector with IEC Red adapter (likely extra cost) even with a single charger vehicle.