Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with 220V 13A socket in Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you guys solve the charging problem?
I do not have a charging car park in my apartment. I work in Kwun Tong so I think I would to charge in Kwun Tong Plaza during the working hours. However, there is only one charging car park there. It is currently always empty but I doubt if it still available after those 200 Model S arrived.
In Hong Kong, there are only 1000 charging station and the current EVs already taken 3xx of them, not counting the coming 200 Model S.
I think one day I have to arrive work very very early to compete for one charing station in Kwun Tong area.

If I charge the Model S with 13A socket in HK, do I get just 2.86KW per hour? So it would take almost 30 hours to fully charge the 85kwh battery?

Anyone knows?

You can work this out as watts = volts x amps. So, 220V x 13A = 2.86kW. But, there are charging inefficiencies (particularly cooling for the batteries and waste in the charging process) that can be around 50%. A safer estimate would be 2kW per hour. Charging overnight (12 hours) should top-up your car nicely, but you'll need 40+ hours to fill from completely empty to completely full.

My opinion (and some say, general consensus) is that charging at 220V 13A is fine for overnight and long-term charging, but not much use for shopping centre visits (of just a couple of hours).

I did some tests on this back in 2011, with the Tesla Roadster:

Charging in High Temperature environments 13A vs 32A vs 70A: cost of air conditioning

and my conclusions were:

View attachment 2660

and you can see Tom Saxton's blog on this (at North American temperatures) at:

Tesla Roadster Charging Rates and Efficiency - Tom Saxton's Blog

How do you guys solve the charging problem?
I do not have a charging car park in my apartment. I work in Kwun Tong so I think I would to charge in Kwun Tong Plaza during the working hours. However, there is only one charging car park there. It is currently always empty but I doubt if it still available after those 200 Model S arrived.
In Hong Kong, there are only 1000 charging station and the current EVs already taken 3xx of them, not counting the coming 200 Model S.
I think one day I have to arrive work very very early to compete for one charing station in Kwun Tong area.

Those 1,000 charging points are empty (or full of ICE cars) the vast majority of the time. Don't worry about competition for them (at the moment, or after 200 Model S), although 1 spot in Kwun Tong Plaza is concerning.

For the latest status, see: Open Charge Map - Web App - a search for "Kwun Tong" shows 11 buildings. Best is the government car parks - most have 20 to 30 charging points.

The absolute best is to charge at your home car park, overnight. This has been discussed here:

Home EV charging in apartment block complex carparks

Very little progress towards helping owners with this so far, though.

Regards, Mark.

Thank you Mark, very useful info. I didn't know about the energy wasted in cooling down the battery while charging.

There is a 13A socket in my apartment's parking space and I am gonna ask the property management to see if I can use it to charge my car. I am still thinking whether I should just use it without asking them... (if I don't ask, they may not notice but this is stealing; If I asked they probably won't let me do that coz it may take sometimes to let them know it is safe to charge a EV in the car park) If they don't let me do that, I will work in Sheung Wan/Central/Admiralty area later this year and I will park and charge in one of those government car parks.

You can work this out as watts = volts x amps. So, 220V x 13A = 2.86kW. But, there are charging inefficiencies (particularly cooling for the batteries and waste in the charging process) that can be around 50%. A safer estimate would be 2kW per hour. Charging overnight (12 hours) should top-up your car nicely, but you'll need 40+ hours to fill from completely empty to completely full.

My opinion (and some say, general consensus) is that charging at 220V 13A is fine for overnight and long-term charging, but not much use for shopping centre visits (of just a couple of hours).

I did some tests on this back in 2011, with the Tesla Roadster:

Charging in High Temperature environments 13A vs 32A vs 70A: cost of air conditioning

and my conclusions were:

View attachment 2660

and you can see Tom Saxton's blog on this (at North American temperatures) at:

Tesla Roadster Charging Rates and Efficiency - Tom Saxton's Blog

Those 1,000 charging points are empty (or full of ICE cars) the vast majority of the time. Don't worry about competition for them (at the moment, or after 200 Model S), although 1 spot in Kwun Tong Plaza is concerning.

For the latest status, see: Open Charge Map - Web App - a search for "Kwun Tong" shows 11 buildings. Best is the government car parks - most have 20 to 30 charging points.

The absolute best is to charge at your home car park, overnight. This has been discussed here:

Home EV charging in apartment block complex carparks

Very little progress towards helping owners with this so far, though.

Regards, Mark.

Slim chance, the land in HK is so expensive

If they built a super charger station in Hong Kong, all problem solved. Just spent half an hour a week to charge my Model S.

- - - Updated - - -

And the problem will quickly surface in March 2014, when the Model S starts to rock Hong Kong. I'm number 378, meaning that there will be almost 400 Model S in Hong Kong by 2015.

Without the supercharger infrastructure or Level 3 charging stations installed, this will be a problem in Hong Kong

I think there are many concerns here: government support, rules and regulations, land price, power supply infrastructure, and most importantly, the penetration of Model S in Hong Kong and the potential of developing the Hong Kong market. If Tesla considers HK not worth investing (maybe the number of supercharger-enabled Model S ordered is small), then we will not see supercharging stations in HK.

The super charger station cannot be installed in current parking space or Science Park?
I don't think Hong Kong Super Charger Station need to look like a gas station.

If things work out and Supercharger stations are to be had in HK, brilliant! But the major issue for HK owners is the ability to charge the baby overnight in the parking lot of their estates. I remember when I went test drive the car Kenneth said they'll deal with each of our estate management and owner's committee through EV Power to get the installation done for us. Last month, I went for the BMW i3 launch at PolyU and they said they're basically doing the same thing, also through installers such as EV Power. I bloody hope this will work out!

If Tesla can help buyers deal with charger installation, that would be 100 times better than buyers doing it ourselves. And I think this is the least Tesla can do for buyers in Hong Kong as we can't enjoy free supercharging yet. However, for people like me who are getting Model S as the first car and without a parking lot, there's no way Tesla can help unless they offer free parking for me at the nearest possible car park. That chance I think is bleak.

If things work out and Supercharger stations are to be had in HK, brilliant! But the major issue for HK owners is the ability to charge the baby overnight in the parking lot of their estates. I remember when I went test drive the car Kenneth said they'll deal with each of our estate management and owner's committee through EV Power to get the installation done for us. Last month, I went for the BMW i3 launch at PolyU and they said they're basically doing the same thing, also through installers such as EV Power. I bloody hope this will work out!

If Tesla can help buyers deal with charger installation, that would be 100 times better than buyers doing it ourselves. And I think this is the least Tesla can do for buyers in Hong Kong as we can't enjoy free supercharging yet. However, for people like me who are getting Model S as the first car and without a parking lot, there's no way Tesla can help unless they offer free parking for me at the nearest possible car park. That chance I think is bleak.

Me too! The Model S will also be my first car I ever bought!

lx3h, where are you intend to park your Model S? Don't you have any parking space at where you live? If you have to park it on public roads or at public car parks, then I can definitely feel your concern...

Currently, there are 6 Quick-Charging stations in Kowloon and NT (CLP); and 3 in HK Island (HK Electric). These 9 stations are all CHAdeMO standard type, providing 50kW DC charging. Of course, it cannot compare to Tesla's 120kW Supercharger, but it does fill your 85kWh Model S up in about 3 hours, which isn't terribly long. In HK, most of us don't drive more than 50km per day, so if you can find one of the stations to charge for 3 hours once a week, that should be more than enough to keep your Model S going without the need to permanently install a charger at your parking lot. Hope this helps.

Well, due to the short distance drive, I'm ordering 60kWh version. I intend to park it in a carpark ran by Hang Lung near my home, which does have a charger of an unknown kW, but to use it, I'll need to pay HK$3,800 a month. Is that worth it?

Me too! The Model S will also be my first car I ever bought!

lx3h, where are you intend to park your Model S? Don't you have any parking space at where you live? If you have to park it on public roads or at public car parks, then I can definitely feel your concern...

Currently, there are 6 Quick-Charging stations in Kowloon and NT (CLP); and 3 in HK Island (HK Electric). These 9 stations are all CHAdeMO standard type, providing 50kW DC charging. Of course, it cannot compare to Tesla's 120kW Supercharger, but it does fill your 85kWh Model S up in about 3 hours, which isn't terribly long. In HK, most of us don't drive more than 50km per day, so if you can find one of the stations to charge for 3 hours once a week, that should be more than enough to keep your Model S going without the need to permanently install a charger at your parking lot. Hope this helps.

Well, due to the short distance drive, I'm ordering 60kWh version. I intend to park it in a carpark ran by Hang Lung near my home, which does have a charger of an unknown kW, but to use it, I'll need to pay HK$3,800 a month. Is that worth it?

60kW model is even better, just have to spare two hours each week charging at one of those 50kW CHAdeMO stations. HK$3,800/month is definitely not worth it...