Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model E in 2015???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I just saw an article in AutoBild Germany (dated Jan 31 2014) that says in a recent interview in Munich Elon had stated Model E would launch in 2015!!!

"...Und auch zum "Tesla für alle" äußerte sich der Elektroauto-Visionär. Das Modell für den Massenmarkt (Arbeitstitel: "Third Generation") komme bis 2015 auf dem Markt und soll rund 20 Prozent kleiner sein als das Model S. Der Preis solle vor allem wegen sinkender Akku-Kosten um rund die Hälfte niedriger liegen, so Musk. "

Rough Translation:

"...The EV visionary also commented on the "Tesla for everybody". That mass market model (Codename "Third Generation" a.k.a. Gen III) would enter the market in 2015 and be roughly 20 percent smaller than Model S. The price would be about half, mainly due to lower battery costs, according to Musk."

That surely must have been a typo?

Or could that be the reason for the new TSLA stock hike as of the last few days?

Last edited:
Sloppy reporting, or maybe we give the benefit of the doubt and say something was lost in translation.

Do a forum search on "giga factory" and you'll find plenty of discussion about the (Musk/Tesla confirmed) fact that there's not enough battery supply in the world to support a mass market launch. There's a good thread here (How-to-solve-the-giga-battery-factory-issue) which discusses various possibilities but Elon himself has talked about building the factory. That factory is a couple of years away at the very earliest.

The Nummi factory is still 90% empty space and it would take a considerable amount of time to equip it for mass market Gen III production; never mind the capital outlay that Tesla doesn't have the cash for yet. Let's not forget the thousands of skilled employees that Tesla would need to recruit to get that production running.

Elon also recently said (it was his European tour but I forget where) that Tesla is full focus on making sure Model S stays the best car on the market; Model X is sliding backwards and indicators are that general production of the X will be spring 2015. Musk has also said that they are still working on design iterations of the X so the chances of showing a Gen III prototype next year are almost certainly zero.

Summary: the batteries aren't available, there's no chance of getting the Gen III production line installed and the design team is already fully occupied.

Sorry, we should probably change the thread title.

Perhaps. The only thing that puzzled me was the wording of the original quote "komme bis 2015 auf den Markt", which means "will have entered the market by 2015", not "will be shown at an auto show". It literally means that you can buy the car (not pre-order). That combined with the fact that said quote was supposedly from Elon himself makes me think that in the end they just got the year wrong.

I think the Model E will be shown early 2015.
The reason is that the Model X was shown first in february 2012 that was way before the production for the Model S started and it will take three years from presentation till mass production of the Model X, although they use the same base as the Mode S.

So if the Model E will be shown in Q1 2015, a mass production for 2018 would be reasonable.
Showing the Model E in 2017 would mean that mass production would start in 2019/20 Tesla would loose to much momentum that way.

Panasonic showed that it took them only 18 Months to add a new a production line for the Li-Ion Cells.
So 3-4 Years should be enough to build a new factory with new production lines.

I think tesla should release gen3 just as they have done with the modelS. I'm Australian and I'm still waiting for the S to arrive here. I would hate to see the gen3 delayed because tesla want to release it everywhere at the same time. If they can supply model X and S' to the world surely they can also do gen3 to the USA.