Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window wipers breaking off in Norway..Known weakness, apparently fix available...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So much for the superior winter car... Window wipers are breaking off in lagre numbers on norwegian tesla S Cars... Looks more and more like this car is an beta version made for desert conditions..

Corrosion , UMC problems in cold weather and now wipers breaking ...

see this this norwegian post translated with google translate:

Google Translate

Didn't find that tread , can you post an link? Searched the words you posted....
It's from the thread you linked.

Re: Wiper arms as "broke" by inspection
«Reply # 10 on: Today at. 9:56 »
Delivered car on Skoyen yesterday. They were aware of the problem, and I was not the only one who stood there with the same problem. They fixed the car in a few hours, changed the entire attachment to the wiper arm to an updated reinforced part. Guess this must be done on all cars. Anyway, AMAZINGLY good service - got the car back washed out and in, recharged and with new software :)

The original post in this thread used the word "corrosion".

To what did this refer, if you please? I've seen no reference to such in other threads throughout this forum.

The original post in this thread used the word "corrosion".

To what did this refer, if you please? I've seen no reference to such in other threads throughout this forum.

Corrosion of bearing frunk aluminum parts.... Severe aluminium corrosion..

also in norway the inner lining around the wheels are tearing up due to snow and ice ...

i have have a car on order.., so I'm not a troll ...

pics of tearing of the filt that protects the inside of the wheelarch.. Teared after 2000km

Logg inn

Logg inn

the tread :

Google Translate

corrosion issues can be seen here :

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues - Page 180

Last edited:
Im not shure if this is only my car or others as well but on my car the left wiper stops 8-10 cm (4 inch) before reacthing the A pillar. Other cars stops about 1 inch from the pillar.

If Tesla is redesigning the wipers, then it would be most wellcome if they at same time got it to wipe aprox 3 inch closer to the A pillar.
For me this is huge blind spot in rainy conditions - if driving on a country road this might be a minor problem, but when driving in a dark city with pedestrains all over this is a huge problem.
both my wipers are though still working well and not broken.

Corrosion of bearing frunk aluminum parts.... Severe aluminium corrosion..

Wow, you must be really scouring the forums for problems. I'm the one who reported the corrosion problem, and also the solution. You will not encounter that problem as it has been completely resolved.

Details: This was caused by dissimilar metal (galvanic) corrosion, caused by salt water bridging the gap between the magnesium carrier and the steel bolt. Tesla had done a thorough salt test, but Ottawa roads are a far more severe test! They use gobs of salt here.

Solution: Simply putting in a larger washer, to provide greater isolation between the parts. Also Tesla has changed the bolt spec, but the main fix was the bigger washer.

Conclusion: Problem resolved. Cars already shipped were fixed via service bulletin. Newer cars are built with the fix.

Wow, you must be really scouring the forums for problems. I'm the one who reported the corrosion problem, and also the solution. You will not encounter that problem as it has been completely resolved.

Details: This was caused by dissimilar metal (galvanic) corrosion, caused by salt water bridging the gap between the magnesium carrier and the steel bolt. Tesla had done a thorough salt test, but Ottawa roads are a far more severe test! They use gobs of salt here.

Solution: Simply putting in a larger washer, to provide greater isolation between the parts. Also Tesla has changed the bolt spec, but the main fix was the bigger washer.

Conclusion: Problem resolved. Cars already shipped were fixed via service bulletin. Newer cars are built with the fix.

in Norway they spray the roads with salt solution 4-6 months/year. It is crucial that parts that can corrode are protected and that measures are taken to protect the car from corrosion , otherwise it won't last more than 3-4 years..

in Norway they spray the roads with salt solution 4-6 months/year. It is crucial that parts that can corrode are protected and that measures are taken to protect the car from corrosion , otherwise it won't last more than 3-4 years..

They spray the roads here with salt, and other nasty deicing substances, from November through April. The car is handling it very well, now that this one problem is fixed.

It's not that Tesla wasn't aware and didn't take measures - they did. They just weren't sufficient in this one case, and their testing didn't reveal it. The part in question is high up, right under the plastic covers around the frunk. My guess is they failed to get the salt spray all the way up in there during testing. These things happen. It's resolved. Move on.

Wow, you must be really scouring the forums for problems.

Maybe he shorted the stock? :)

- - - Updated - - -

We have the same salt use in most parts of Canada. You're being overly dramatic.