Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tesla Model S wiring diagram (for alarm and range extender)

Tesla Model S wiring diagram (for alarm and range extender)

Hi, Anyone knows if the wiring schematic diagram is available somewhere ? I need it to be able to easily implement some add-on in the car.
    I receive my model S in less than 2 month and want to install an anti car jacking and home jacking system.

And I also work on a range extender for the Model S (20-25kW), need to see if I will be able to send DC current in the car without perturbating the battery SoC calculation.

The idea is to never charge the battery (the range extender stops generating current when the battery current becomes negative), but try to maintain the battery current to zero. This way, all 0-20kW power demand from the inverter will be compensated by the range extender, and the battery pack will see no current consumption.

Theoretically the current injection will not perturbate the battery pack SoC, because I want to connect directly to the DC bus of the inverter, this way the current I inject will not pass through the battery pack current sensor

Anyone has a photo or something to see how the 400VDC bus arrives to the inverter ?
    Regards

There are some teardown pics around the inverter area showing the HV cabling is direct from battery to inverter.
    If you interrupt this and inject your own, you will be stuck with crappy 25kW acceleration. It will do 0-60 never!
    It's not safe to bypass the charging circuitry. You need to use onboard charger. But they don't work in Drive, so you'd need to trick it into charging while moving.
    Long story short you'd be better modifying something like a Prius….. yeah it might not be as sexy but it's been done before.

the goal is not to replace the pack, but connect the range extender in parallel on the inverter's DC bus and inject current when the inverter need. In other word, the pack current will be the inverter current minus the range extender current. Thus it will not change the 0-60 perf

Quote Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
    There are some teardown pics around the inverter area showing the HV cabling is direct from battery to inverter.
    I searched the forum but unfortunately I don't found anything
    Any idea where they are ?
    Regards

Where Nikola Tesla was born... Croatia :)
    Quote Originally Posted by nlc View Post
    Hi, Anyone knows if the wiring schematic diagram is available somewhere ? I need it to be able to easily implement some add-on in the car.
    I receive my model S in less than 2 month and want to install an anti car jacking and home jacking system.

And I also work on a range extender for the Model S (20-25kW), need to see if I will be able to send DC current in the car without perturbating the battery SoC calculation.

The idea is to never charge the battery (the range extender stops generating current when the battery current becomes negative), but try to maintain the battery current to zero. This way, all 0-20kW power demand from the inverter will be compensated by the range extender, and the battery pack will see no current consumption.

Theoretically the current injection will not perturbate the battery pack SoC, because I want to connect directly to the DC bus of the inverter, this way the current I inject will not pass through the battery pack current sensor

Anyone has a photo or something to see how the 400VDC bus arrives to the inverter ?
    Regards
    This won't work with bypassing the battery-pack. The ICE won't be able to supply the power when the inverter demands is. I.e. the ramping-up and ramping-down of the range-ex is too slow for the electric powertrain. You need some kind of buffer in between.

Quote Originally Posted by nlc View Post
    I searched the forum but unfortunately I don't found anything
    Any idea where they are ?
    Regards
    You won't find any wiring diagrams, because Tesla doesn't share any information about anything technical. If you wanted to implement what you are asking about, reverse-engineering and new code will be the only way to do it. Not to mention it will void your warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by CroDriver View Post
    This won't work with bypassing the battery-pack. The ICE won't be able to supply the power when the inverter demands is. I.e. the ramping-up and ramping-down of the range-ex is too slow for the electric powertrain. You need some kind of buffer in between.
    As I said, the Rex will be in parallel on the inverter dc bus, thus the buffer is the 85Kwh battery pack...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by qwk View Post
    You won't find any wiring diagrams, because Tesla doesn't share any information about anything technical. If you wanted to implement what you are asking about, reverse-engineering and new code will be the only way to do it. Not to mention it will void your warranty.
    I was talking about pics of the inverter where we maybe can see some wirering, it can helps a little

That's OK, I found what I was looking for, in the emergency response guide :

Name:  Capture-7.png
Views: 1689
Size:  253.7 KB

We can access easily to the DC bus of the can in the high voltage junction box. The DC bus from battery pack enters this junction box and is dispatched to the 2 chargers, the inverter, and the DC/DC 12V power supply.

I just hope there is only one current sensor inside the pack for the SoC calculation, and that's not each peripheral (inverter, dc/dc/charger) which measure how many amp they draw/inject from/to the battery pack, and inform the main ECU which does the global calculation

I am pretty sure that the inverter and battery computer will be constantly talking to each other. I have heard, I do not know if it is my imagination, that the contactor in the pack, on 60kWh, clicks when you regen. So there is at least that. It probably will do a "Car Needs Service" message if you make the current imbalanced.

If you do get it working, I predict fire when your Rex overcharges the pack.

And dear god WHY? WHY would you take the BEST pure EV car out on the market now and stick a dirty, noise, inefficient gasoline engine in it???
    Last edited by tom66; 2014-01-16 at 04:57 AM.

Good luck with your project. I love that some people are willing to mess with their cars.

How are you planning to generate 20-25kW of power? A giant towable generator?
    2013 Tesla Model S P85: 12.417 @ 111.570 MPH

Performance 85kWh, custom 19" Forgestar c5fv wheels, white/black/CF, pano,sound,tech,twin chargers!

Thread Information