Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceiling Install of NEMA 14-50 Outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet on their ceiling? I'm trying to decide to to best locate it. I have a two-car garage with single garage door and entry door towards the garage door. I've always parked straight in rather than back in. If installed front center wall, I wonder if it would be difficult to get to the charging port when parked on the left side. If installed on the side wall between the entry door and garage door, i may have to hop over the cable; or right-side car may have to drive over cable if charging MS on left side.

Has anybody installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet on their ceiling? I'm trying to decide to to best locate it. I have a two-car garage with single garage door and entry door towards the garage door. I've always parked straight in rather than back in. If installed front center wall, I wonder if it would be difficult to get to the charging port when parked on the left side. If installed on the side wall between the entry door and garage door, i may have to hop over the cable; or right-side car may have to drive over cable if charging MS on left side.

If installed on the ceiling I would be concerned due to the weight of the UMC unless you can mount the outlet vertically.

I have a very similar set up to what you describe and we put both a NEMA 14-50 and, eventually, our HPWC in the center of the back wall and I pull straight in as you describe. But I always park on the right side which works great. Is it not an option for you to always park on that side? We're getting a Model X for my wife when they come out and I think we'll just have to install another outlet or HPWC in the back left corner to avoid the issues you're talking about. Fortunately, we put in a 200A sub-panel that will allow that.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/efusco/sets/72157631505333436/
8477565524_cfd290d281_b.jpg
Tesla High Power Wall Charger Installation by efusco, on Flickr

Sure.

Used some EMT 1/2 inch clamps to hold up the wires.

20131201_230528.jpg