Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMo Adapter, any one in S/E WI want to split the cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, With the hefty price tag on a CHAdeMo adapter that is coming soon from tesla, I thought, since it is a Niche charging adapter, used mostly for road trips, it would make it possible to split, so I was curious if anyone wanted to split the cost. I already have 1 other person locally (in Milwaukee County) that is interested in splitting a adapter.
Ideally, Looking for 4, possibly 5 people to split the cost. So at 4 people, it comes to $250 each, at 5 people, $200 each.
I live in Greendale, By Southridge Mall, and not too far off the freeway. What I am setting up, is a outdoor cabinet on the side of my garage, right below my charging port. Items in the cabinet will be free to use by anyone splitting the plug, each person in on the deal with get their own padlock key for 24/7 access.
Items that would then be in the cabinet: NEMA 14-50 Extension Cord, NEMA 14-30 to 14-50 Extension Cord Adapter(Dryer Outlet), 120v Extension Cord, Adapter to convert the 5-15 or 5-20 12v UMC adapters so that they can plug into a 240v 20 amp outlet, allows charge at either 12 or 16 amps 240v (Common for Hotel/Motel Air Conditioning Units), and what other connectors and adapters I happen to come up with.
Would also have in the cabinet a calander, so that if your planning a trip and need a specific item from the cabinet to take with you (the CHAdeMo adapter, a 240v extension cord etc...) you can reserve said items in advance. And of course, your free to charge on my NEMA 14-50 (in the evening 7pm-7am and weekends), day time charging please donate 30cents/kWh as I am on time of use and it can really add up.

Any interested parties? I know we have 6 or 7 Model S's in Milwaukee Already. So we have 2 people down, me and a friend, so we have the adapter down to $500 each, 3 people would be $333, 4 people $250, 5 People $200. I am not going to do more then 5, as then we are starting to get the adapter crowded.

And one last idea, if we get 4 or less people interested, I am considering Renting out the adapter during times when none of the owners of the adapter are using it or are planning on using it. Maybe rent it for $30 to $50/trip depending on length of trip. The money would go to reimburse ourselves for cost of the adapter. And maybe over time, that would add up enough for all of us to get our own adapter (if so desired).

Thoughts? Interest? I already am on the reservation list for the adapter from Tesla, so will be contacted asap once its ready.

It seems like a reasonable idea... The only time I could see myself using one is for road trips but not being able to charge on chademo has been a real thorn in my side for charging. What is the rate of charging on chademo?

Need a 14-50 25ft cord to add to the share box? I have one I'm not using at the moment.

I suggest checking with ownership... I asked them a question about the adapter last week and in their response, they indicated that the CHAdeMO adapter requires activation separate from Supercharger activation... The wording on the CHAdeMO adapter page currently makes it sound like SC and CHAdeMO activation are one and the same, but it may not -- which means no borrowing/sharing of adapters...

I suggest checking with ownership... I asked them a question about the adapter last week and in their response, they indicated that the CHAdeMO adapter requires activation separate from Supercharger activation... The wording on the CHAdeMO adapter page currently makes it sound like SC and CHAdeMO activation are one and the same, but it may not -- which means no borrowing/sharing of adapters...

It sounds to me like supercharger access includes CHAdeMO access, but CHAdeMO access can be bought alone for less.

Adapter
For Model S with Supercharging enabled
Available online this winter
$1,000

Adapter + Onboard Hardware Activation
For Model S without Supercharging enabled
To order before your Model S delivery, email [email protected].
$2,400

After Model S delivery
Available online this winter
$2,900

So activation is only $1,400-1,900, which is less than supercharger access.

I have sent a email to get clarification on that. My understanding is that Supercharging needs to be enabled to use the CHAdeMo, and that is it. As the hardware to shunt the DC current to the battery pack is the key issue. I should have a response by tomorrow afternoon on that.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems like a reasonable idea... The only time I could see myself using one is for road trips but not being able to charge on chademo has been a real thorn in my side for charging. What is the rate of charging on chademo?

Need a 14-50 25ft cord to add to the share box? I have one I'm not using at the moment.

Same here, Road Trips. I am doing a road trip to Pensacola this winter, from their to Houston, and then to Plano/Dallas, then, back to Milwaukee this winter. Their is a LARGE number of CHAdeMo stations (FREE Ones at that ^_^ ) in route. The time difference, I have worked out, is a difference between taking 1 1/2 days to get to Pensacola using the CHAdeMo's, as compared to 4-5 days using Level 2's.
CHAdeMo using the Tesla adapter is 50kw. I think Tesla store had it at 170 miles per hour recovery. I know, I really could use one when I go to Chicago. lots of free ones in Chicagoland. As well as their CHAdeMo charging infrastructure at the waysides in Illinois. At least for me, my road trip would pay the cost of the adapter alone. It would cost me around $800 in gas if I were to take my Nissan Cube, $1,600 if I take my Nissan Xterra. And even then, I wouldn't be driving a tesla ;)

Yah, a 25 footer would be nice. I have a 10ft one I made using 6awg, and the 14-30 to 14-50 adapter extension cord is about 6 ft long that I made. I am working on the cabinet now. Want it fairly sturdy.

I have sent a email to get clarification on that. My understanding is that Supercharging needs to be enabled to use the CHAdeMo, and that is it. As the hardware to shunt the DC current to the battery pack is the key issue. I should have a response by tomorrow afternoon on that.

The email I received from ownership listed CHAdeMO Activation and Supercharger activation separately... I'm hoping that they clarify differently for you -- since if CHAdeMO has separate activation, then it would hurt resale of the adapter...

The email I received from ownership listed CHAdeMO Activation and Supercharger activation separately... I'm hoping that they clarify differently for you -- since if CHAdeMO has separate activation, then it would hurt resale of the adapter...
I hope no extra activation is necessary as well. At 1k for the adapter, a activation fee on top of that would be pushing it cost wise. I'd rather add the dual charger then the chademo in that case. dual charger is 20kw, chademo is 50. it's a difference but not that big a difference like dual charger to supercharger is.

HAHA! Timing is everything. Hugh from Tesla Sales contacted me back. NO EXTRA ACTIVATION REQUIRED!!! All that is needed is Supercharging capability, and you can use the CHAdeMo adapter. So price is $1k and that is it!

Last edited:

So what do ya think rdrcrmatt? And to clarify, 50kw and 150 miles per hour charge rate. I believe I have Montgom on board as well, so that would make 3 of us.

And to everyone, I've noticed Nissan Dealerships, have been installing the Nissan CHAdeMo stations, some paid most free lately as a upgrade now that the lower priced Leafs are starting to take more foothold, as well as Mitsubishi has them at their dealers that carry the I.

I really could use one when I go to Chicago. lots of free ones in Chicagoland. As well as their CHAdeMo charging infrastructure at the waysides in Illinois.
For the most part, no you won't. The chademo chargers in Chicago land are mostly from the charjit network and they fell through. I know there are a couple, but the ones in the Oasis stops aren't working that last time I heard from charjit.

Yah, a 25 footer would be nice. I have a 10ft one I made using 6awg, and the 14-30 to 14-50 adapter extension cord is about 6 ft long that I made. I am working on the cabinet now. Want it fairly sturdy.

Mine is also 6awg.. If you need it at any time PM me, or anyone else in the area for that matter.. otherwise I'll get it by you if this idea of sharing resources takes off.

I'm in. I'll try to setup a google calendar for scheduling. I don't see myself using it but maybe 2-3 times a year but it'll be damn handy when we do.

Well, We have 4 people. I think it would be best to cap the CHAdeMo adapter at that. For those who are in, I will be emailing you all this weekend with how things are going to be setup, and more details.

Now, for those who are not in on the purchase, Here is what I have decided to do, to help the Tesla community.

The cabinet will be in 2 locked sections. One section will be for CHAdeMo adapter, and whatever other paid adapter that we might do in the future.
The second section, with extension cords, home made adapters and other share items, will be available to the general Tesla community, with "pre approval" as it will still be a locked cabinet.

Requirements for the "public" section are:
First off, Either a $15 one off donation, which will help fund my manufacturing of other adapters and specialty cords, and keep existing cords and adapters in good repair.
OR
Donation of a (or multiple) needed item/s to the cabinet with a value of at least $15 (so if you have a certain home built adapter, or specialty cord to donate, that gets you "in").
Next, I will need your contact information of course.
MUST meet in person to show cabinet location and show access etc...
Get key
May add to this list, but I am at least a week or so off from getting the cabinet setup.

Oh, BTW, I am almost done with a NEMA 14-50 surge protector. That will also be in the cabinet.

Any other thoughts or Input? Anyone interested in the Non-CHAdeMo cabinet?