Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYMI "password" bracelet video promotes Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S is features in a video of a this bracelet could replace your passwords, your car keys, and even your fingerprints. The overall idea is promoted on twitter by Ashton Kutcher.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4688162/bionym-nymi-could-replace-all-your-passwords

http://youtu.be/jUO7Qnmc8vE

Capture.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
why not just use NFC in phones to get this functionality without using a bracelet? (maybe the bracelet "checks your heart rhythm to authenticate ownership," but that's a load of bs)
edit: looks like another poster had a similar comment. great minds think alike!

Handles auto-presented - aren't they part of the tech package?

It ranks right up there with the Bank of America commercials where the credit card is swiped the wrong way -- to keep the B of A logo right side up, they swipe the card's bottom instead of the strip.

Wait, aren't we getting off topic?

The appearance of the Model S there is great... great demonstration of a connected world.

Well it seems cool except for the fact that everything in the video was faked.

I mean its obvious just from the Tesla piece that someone was just standing off camera and opened the trunk with the key fob. However they failed to close it forcing him to do it manually (FAIL!!)

Then with the auto presenting handles? Come on! Seriously?? Everybody knows he has the key fob in his pocket.

And of course the rest if it was faked as well.

So riddle me this... Lets pretend it actually does work (haha, i know, but just bear with me for a second) what happens when you fall asleep with the bracelet on, and then your wife grabs your phone and holds it by the bracelet and it auto-authenticates and unlocks and she discovers all the dirty pictures and texts of you and your mistress?? Yea..that's not gonna turn out very pretty. You better hope there's nothing sharp laying close by or you'll end up being the next John Bobbitt.

food for thought.

next time maybe they should make the commercial a little less faked.

Maybe it’s just me, but I think it would have made for a better infomercial if “Steve” hadn’t appeared to be single…

He looks a little depressed…

:rolleyes:

And just imagine the romantic possibilities of bringing two of these devices together!

- - - Updated - - -

Why do I need to carry another device with me to accomplish these scenes? Why not just authenticate with my cellphone (that I already own and carry)?

Because the authentication isn't stored in the device. If you lose your phone, it's a big problem. If you lose the bracelet, just buy another one, and everything will still work.

So riddle me this... Lets pretend it actually does work (haha, i know, but just bear with me for a second) what happens when you fall asleep with the bracelet on, and then your wife grabs your phone and holds it by the bracelet and it auto-authenticates and unlocks and she discovers all the dirty pictures and texts of you and your mistress?? Yea..that's not gonna turn out very pretty. You better hope there's nothing sharp laying close by or you'll end up being the next John Bobbitt.

I'm detecting sarcasm, but I don't have a Nymi to authenticate. If that really is your biggest concern, perhaps this isn't for you.

I think it's pretty cool, but since the door to my office still requires a key, I could only see a few of these applications in regular use for most people. I am however waiting for the day we do away with cash, so I'm supportive of efforts such as this.