Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano Roof Noise - Factory Fix Coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brought my P85 in to Menlo Park for service on multiple items, one of which was noise at high speeds on a closed Pano roof.

Service said they adjusted the seals which may help a little, but then the rep said there's a factory fix coming to address this issue.

The rep said the fix is pretty extensive and will require 2 1/2 days in the shop.

My work order says "...will be coming out with a repair to fix wind noise - will be contacted when parts are available."

The rep said the parts will available in about a month.

Brought my P85 in to Menlo Park for service on multiple items, one of which was noise at high speeds on a closed Pano roof.

Service said they adjusted the seals which may help a little, but then the rep said there's a factory fix coming to address this issue.

The rep said the fix is pretty extensive and will require 2 1/2 days in the shop.

My work order says "...will be coming out with a repair to fix wind noise - will be contacted when parts are available."

The rep said the parts will available in about a month.

Interesting. My car was just in the shop with this as one of my concerns. They didn't mention a forthcoming fix. But in the interim, I have no more whistling but now have lots of scratches on the trim piece in the middle part of the car that they're now going to replace.

Here's the texts from my work order:

Complaint Narrative: Perform SB-13-24-004 Panoramic roof creak bulletin.Cause: Panoramic roof needs updating to prevent noises
Correction: Install Felt Tape, Inspect/Grind Crossmember, Inspect/Install Shims,Inspect/Back out Spacer Bolts, Inspect/Move J Clips
Perform roof updates to prevent noises

Complaint Narrative: Customer states that there is excessive wind noise while drivinghighway speeds. Check and advise.
Cause: Gap between panoramic roof and sealing suface too large and causing wind noise.Correction: Interior NVH General Diagnosis
Test drive vehicle verify wind noise. Remove panoramic seal, clean surface and installnew thicker adhesive to buffer wind noise. Calibrate panoramic roof.

Had mine in 2 weeks ago for the pano creaking and noise at high speeds. Both problems started at the same time. Notes below. 100% better on the pano creak. 90% better on high speed noise (i have never had a targa top before, so assuming SOME noise at 85-90mph is acceptable, but maybe not).

Complaint Narrative: Customer states: creaking and rattling noise from roof while driving
Cause: perform bulletin to correct panoramic roof creaking.
Correction: Panoramic Roof General Diagnosis
Road test vehicle and verified creaking from roof area. Perform bulletin to correect panoramic roof creaking.

Complaint Narrative: Customer states:excessive wind noise from pano roof at highway speeds
Cause: Tab needed to be adjusted for proper fit of panoramic roof glass
Correction: Panoramic Roof General Diagnosis
Road test vehicle to verify roof wind noise. Heard noise at the front of the roof above 80 mph. Per bulletin adjust front tab of sunroof to allow for a tighter fit. Road test vehicle to verify repair.

also interesting to note:
Complaint Narrative: Perform mandatory service bulletins
Cause: service bulletins required by engineering
Correction: Apply Loctite on C-Pillar Brightwork on Both Sides, Clean Area Per bulletin loctite on C-pillar brightwork.

When I got my car back, the energy usage graph was off the charts high. I have no doubt they tested the car at 90 miles per hour somewhere (for a good 20 min from the chart). Someone at the SC had fun.

That's not good for it.

If the battery was not below 20-30%, the car is fine and it didn't do anything detrimental to the pack / car. Most likely they were road testing it and ensuring there's no other issues with the vehicle. I'd prefer a service technician flooring and pushing my car to the limits rather than babying it. They know what these cars are suppose to sound and drive like over a larger sample than your single vehicle only you have access to.

If it was on the dyno that's fine too. Whatever they need to do to find an issue before I do is cool with me.

Okay let me re-phrase. Having someone floor my car in the shop multiple times would p*** me off. There.

Ummm, they were testing for wind noise at high speed (which is what the customer complained about). What would you expect them to do? If they gave the car back and said "Well, we think we fixed the problem but you have to test it and bring it back again if it's not ok.", I think most owners would call that poor service.

Note: Please also watch the language; this is a family-friendly site. Thanks.

I expected a road test and glad they did it. I'm not mad. A little confused at how the usage was as high as it was for so long though. I floored it multiple times on the way home on the express way and could only get it up to about 600wh/mi. They had it up to 900wh/mi several times. Picture below. I can't replicate that kind of energy usage. Glad to say my lifetime average is back down under 400 again though.

Attachments

• 900wh_mi.JPG
    900wh_mi.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 516
Answer from SC. Makes sense if there is no mileage (ie almost infinite energy/mi if there is no mileage):

[FONT=&quot]What we typically find is that the wh/mi rating shows abnormally high while the vehicle is on and using energy, and not logging mileage. This shows an unusually high number since no mileage is actually be driven and only energy is being used. I hope this is not too simple an explanation. If you still have concerns or would like clarification please let me know. [/FONT]

Keep in mind that measurements with units such as "Wh/mi." are quite sensitive to the denominator. Meaning at low speeds and high "exertion" you can easily spike some high numbers. For example, it's far easier (for me at least) to achieve ~1700 Wh/mi at 35mph than at 60+mph.

The service center is correct. Next time you're stuck in traffic or going through a drive-thru with your A/C or heat on, it will peak at a very high value (like 900 Wh/mi for a bit). Wh/mi becomes very large when the denominator in that ratio becomes very small.

Heh heh. Good luck with the fix.

The pano roof on my '02 C-class Merc was constantly squeaking, so I'd bring it in. They'd perform a new "procedure" to fix the squeak and it would seem to help. Then it would start up again after a few days. Rinse and repeat. I must have had the roof "fixed" half a dozen times over the life of that car. Each time was a revolutionary new fix that would definitely eliminate the problem.

Well...10 years on and a different company....they might do it.

I expected a road test and glad they did it. I'm not mad. A little confused at how the usage was as high as it was for so long though. I floored it multiple times on the way home on the express way and could only get it up to about 600wh/mi. They had it up to 900wh/mi several times. Picture below. I can't replicate that kind of energy usage. Glad to say my lifetime average is back down under 400 again though.

I had the exact same experience. Next time she goes in, I will raise the question before they begin the work.

The service center is correct. Next time you're stuck in traffic or going through a drive-thru with your A/C or heat on, it will peak at a very high value (like 900 Wh/mi for a bit). Wh/mi becomes very large when the denominator in that ratio becomes very small.

This makes sense. My ICE car routinely has mileage of 99.9L/100km if I idle for an extended period.