Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New wheels from Tesla: Aero and Cyclone!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aeros are way better looking than old aeros, but $2,500 upcharge? Ouch. Cyclones are a lot like turbines, but with sort of a major/minor spoke arrangement. seem like a derivation on both turbines and the Model X prototype wheels.

Just noticed that you can buy the Michelin Primacy tires for an extra $1000 and that adds 3% more range. So Aero wheels with the right tires can net you 6%+.

Definitely would have to see the Aero wheel in person. The wheels cover the rotors and brakes, so it may look weird in person.

My old civic hybrid had aero wheels, I like them. Not sure about an extra $2500 though...and I already ordered so to do a change out it'd probably be a lot more at this point.

My god they are nickling and diming the hell out of people. My car configured in december would now cost over $8,500 more.
- The base price is 3,670 more
- The pano roof is now $2500 vs $1500
- The sound package has gone from $950 to $2,500 - total rip-off if it's the same package
- They are charging $650 for obeche
- tech package is $250 cheaper
- air suspension is $750 more now (now $2,250) - I wouldn't get this
- fog lamps are $500 (was included for me)
- premium interior lighting is $1,000 (door lights were included for me though I'm not sure if I have puddle lights) - crazy upcharge

Yikes! They need to chill on the nickle and diming. It's probably more efficient to have fewer permutations of configurations. They just exploded the number of combinations. That's going to increase the number of mistakes I suspect.

Last edited:
My god they are nickling and diming the hell out of people.

It'll be interesting to see how this pricing strategy works. My first reaction was to downgrade my pending order from a loaded P85+ to a fairly stripped P85. It was fairly easy to "justify" the plus package with the old pricing, but now that you get to look at almost every aspect of an already expensive car separately, it's a lot harder.

It feels like a lot of high margin upgrades will be foregone through a la carte pricing.

Additionally, this makes me want to see a car with textile seats and the other trim options -- I can't be the only one who want to see before buying.

Wow. Fully loaded P85+ for $123k.

Love the aero wheels as well as the 19 inch turbine solution. Wonder if these will make the Tesla Store. Something tells me they will along with the spoiler. If Tesla is going to up the prices on all these components previously offered for much less, I'm sure they'll sell just about anything in the store.

Those cyclone wheels look really odd to me... like a fan that's missing some blades. Just looks wrong to me.

Maybe I should withhold judgment until I’ve seen a decent picture, but I think a 19’’ version of their 21’’ turbine design would have looked a fair bit better than these cyclones.

Ultimately though, it will of course be a matter of personal taste (and unfortunately my personal taste will hardly be able to have an impact on their bottom line until the GEN3…).

But perhaps it is a bit worrying that the new wheel design doesn’t seem to be a near universal hit like the rest of the Model S design (Not counting the omission of center console storage and the current front cup holders…).

Last edited:
You can see a ring just around the Tesla "T" in the center of the hub. Those are probably plastic lugnut covers.

I think the new aero's look great. Smart move to go with the darker color - they stand out less and look great on the Design Studio picture, especially on black and red.

Agree the recent changes to further jack up total price of cars with a combination of desireable options is troubling. Especially for anyone who is hoping to get an MS in the coming year. I checked updated Design studio yest. Am I missing some option there, or do they really not allow you to see a running total price as you select battery pack size and P or S, then make subsequent choices? Who made that design decision and how does it support being up front about pricing and making it easy to figure out total cost of various combinations?

Agree the recent changes to further jack up total price of cars with a combination of desireable options is troubling. Especially for anyone who is hoping to get an MS in the coming year. I checked updated Design studio yest. Am I missing some option there, or do they really not allow you to see a running total price as you select battery pack size and P or S, then make subsequent choices? Who made that design decision and how does it support being up front about pricing and making it easy to figure out total cost of various combinations?

Select "cash" and you can see the running total.

- - - Updated - - -

I would love the aero wheels but not at $2500.