Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk, slight dent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't feel all that sturdy to me either so I'm super careful. When I picked up the car, the DE guy was very clear on how to close the frunk (don't slam, push gently) so it's likely they have had complaints.

Why this was not electric open on the tech package is beyond my comprehension....

I refuse to use it.

I believe it has something to do with the hood needing to have a double latch for regulatory purposes. They don't want the hood to unlatch while driving. I can't think of any car actually have has an automatic opening mechanism for the hood.

The frunk closure is the most poorly designed aspect of the car. If you need a "dealer" rep to show you how to properly close an automobile hood, then there is a problem with the design. There should be nothing mystical or mysterious about closing the frunk. It doesn't have to be electric or automated. It should simply close like every other hood out there.

If you need a "dealer" rep to show you how to properly close an automobile hood, then there is a problem with the design.

I have to agree. I am very careful with it because I was shown how to do it and because I am aware the hood can dent easily. I get very nervous when other people are in the vicinity of the frunk. If my wife or kid goes to get something out of the frunk, they're likely going to slam it back down just as they would with the hood or trunk of any other car.

I agree too -- the Model S needs a revision to the latch of the frunk. I've had to specifically instruct the local hand car wash (which cleans the cars for the Menlo Park showroom!!) how to do it properly. Twice.

Plus, if you park the car nose in, it's extra difficult to do the two-handed closing maneuver because you're having to get between the car and the wall, bush, fence or whatever you're parked against.

I've opted to push on the front edge right in front of the latch with the palm of one hand. With the fold of the aluminum there, it doesn't deflect as much as when pushing on the flat surface farther up on the car... even when using the two-hand palm method.

I agree it should be reinforced.

FWIW: I was instructed by our local SC at time of delivery to use two hands, each hand placed on the far left and right front edges of the frunk.

I specifically asked about using the two hand method right in front by the latch but they said no, the far edges are more reinforced and hands placed there is the preferred method.

FWIW: I was instructed by our local SC at time of delivery to use two hands, each hand placed on the far left and right front edges of the frunk.

I specifically asked about using the two hand method right in front by the latch but they said no, the far edges are more reinforced and hands placed there is the preferred method.

Hmm, that contradicts the official Tesla video which says to place hands "on either side of the Tesla logo"...

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/walkthrough/playlist#2

I think the important thing is to push with the heel of your hands, right at the front edge. Your finger tips should not be in contact with the hood.

Years ago, I had a Mercedes 280SL with an aluminum hood. In this case the hood hinged at the front of the car, and the latch was at the base of the windshield, making it very difficult to press against the hood without denting it.

dent in frunk

I have scrupulously followed the instructions for closing the frunk, and decided to try one hand (other hand holding groceries) at the top of the Tesla logo, and this is what happened! Really, VERY TEMPERMENTAL!!!!

Attachments

• Frunk dent.JPG
    Frunk dent.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 915
I too have been very careful about following the instructions of my DS, but alas, I now have a small dent near the latch. Seems like a design issue. Does anyone know if Tesla service is repairing these? Is there a redesign effort underway?