Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this the new HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It arrived from Tesla last week. There was a wall hanger included in the box.

Just curious is this already has the upgraded components I read about?

tesla-hpwc.jpg

When you get it installed please post if you still get the "limited to 60A" when charging. I wonder if there is anything in the pilot signal from the HPWC that tells the Tesla its a new version and good to go at 80A, or if this message appears (and will continue to appear until ????) with ALL 80A capable chargers.

I doubt it.... I (was) using an OpenEVSE with standard 1772 protocol and always had to over ride the 60A nag message.

Reminds me of the old Heinlein quote "I shot an error into the air and it landed everywhere".

So whats likely to be the final solution? Tesla decides that "all" old HPWC have been upgraded (or at least shipped their kit) and a future firmware rev restores the original (and proper) limit?

I've not been getting the message at all with firmware 4.5, so it appears they have already changed it back. Or maybe made it smarter so it remembers if you override it.

Not true for me. Gets set back to 60A, I override it back to 75A, but because I'm using the timer, at 7:00AM when it starts charging, it's back to 60A. Really frustrating that they insist on this "nannying". If you override it once at a particular location, it should remember that and NOT keep lowering to 60A
I don't even use a HPWC

Not true for me. Gets set back to 60A, I override it back to 75A, but because I'm using the timer, at 7:00AM when it starts charging, it's back to 60A. Really frustrating that they insist on this "nannying". If you override it once at a particular location, it should remember that and NOT keep lowering to 60A
I don't even use a HPWC

Have you gotten the latest 4.5 update (last few days)?

Not yet, still have v4.5 (1.33.48)

I still have 1.33.44. :)

So it seems like a later version remembers if you've done the overriding (if you have a fixed HPWC), but we may not have it yet.

- - - Updated - - -

So I got this same one, and had it installed a couple of days ago (car comes on Saturday). The instructions said to hook it to a 100A circuit. Are you saying it will only use 75 (or 60)?

When you charge an EV, it is considered a "continuous load". By NEC (electrical code) rule, unless you have specially certified infrastructure (which pretty much no one has), the circuit must be sized and rated for 125% of the continuous load. As a result, you need a 100A circuit for an 80A continuous charging load, which is what the HPWC will deliver at maximum current.