Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Interview with Bloomberg - I feel pretty good...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for sharing. I liked how he reiterated his mission statement, when answering the question about talks with either Apple or Google. "We're not looking to get acquired... I'm not going anywhere until we realize our goal of an affordable EV that is also a great car."

Full steam ahead, Mr. Elon, full steam!

He was on Bloomberg again today. One of the key things I took away with today's interview was the fact that GenIII needs to have "at least" 200 mile range. Less than that and I don't think they build it. That's the line they've drawn in the sand and that's the tech they are waiting to mature. When cost and tech merge so that they can build the GenIII, I think they will do it. Elon said again today "3 or 4 years" from now.

The question I have is, is Elon talking about real-world miles or ideal miles (of which the model S can already get 300). Most people would report the S getting RWM more in the region of 200-250. IMO, Tesla has always been rather "optimistic" with their range figures.

I can't say what Elon was thinking, but I think that 200 EPA miles is a good target for Tesla's smallest battery option. That, and the great acceleration, will keep the Tesla brand differentiated from the 100-mile compliance cars.

GSP

I think and hope he's talking about real world miles. Think the 60KwH Model S equivalent range or better.

Power is an issue too. With electric cars, the bigger the battery pack, the more power the engine can draw.

Go too small and you have both a range problem and a performance problem. Go big and you take range anxiety off the table and you get better performance.

200 real world miles is about the equivalent of 1/2 to 2/3 a tank of gas. That number works for a lot of people.

Power is an issue too. With electric cars, the bigger the battery pack, the more power the engine can draw.

Go too small and you have both a range problem and a performance problem. Go big and you take range anxiety off the table and you get better performance.
Depends on the chemistry of the cell. A higher C rate cell can deliver more power from a smaller pack. If new chemistry has higher C rates as well as higher energy density then you can get range and power from a smaller lighter pack in a lighter vehicle.

I think and hope he's talking about real world miles. Think the 60KwH Model S equivalent range or better.

200 real world miles is about the equivalent of 1/2 to 2/3 a tank of gas. That number works for a lot of people.

Although the basic rule is mo' battery, mo' power, mo' money, different battery chemistries and technologies have different characteristics. The Gen 3's aim is to be compelling and affordable, but it doesn't have to match the Model S. Consider that the Volt is 0-60 in 8.9s with a 16kWh battery, 1.4L engine, fuel system and GM fattitude. Tesla could hybridize the battery and trade some power and "extender" life for enrrgy density and price.

Last edited: