Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive car in Illinois had rusty chrome badge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a Model S for a drive from the Tesla Old Orchard store in Skokie, IL

My Wife noticed that it had quite a bit of rust on the T badge ahead of the front door on the drivers side, it looked like it would next begin staining the paint below it. We use a lot of salt on the roads here, we live close to where it is mined and it is cheap, so we get tons of the stuff spread far and wide at the slightest hint of a snowflake. So corrosion is expected, it is like living close to the ocean, salt gets in everywhere. Dodge minivans around here get rust under the rear window within three years like clockwork. Since the Model S has an aluminum body and the chrome looking badges are made of rust resistant plastic, it must be the related attachment hardware in the area is made of a ferrous material not treated to be rust resistant. With a new car we all expect things like this, these early models are kind of like Beta versions and as problems pop up they will be addressed.

Would something like this and other pitting problems on the badges be covered by Tesla? Is that considered normal wear and tear? Did the person(s) who experienced pitting and corrosion on his badges on this forum get them repaired or replaced by Tesla under warranty? I am considering putting a Model X on reserve, but I will be driving in the same conditions as the test drive car, if it gets rusty badges and stains, I won't be happy with my cars appearance.

This badge is back lit by LED's so there obviously is hardware in there that can become rusted. http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/04/30/automobiles/480-tesla1.jpg

As far as you know, ALL badges are glued on? Looks like you don't know very far.

I don't need to refer to a photo to know that it was rusted, my Wife, myself and the Tesla employee all saw the rust, it was rusty. It was not barely noticeable, the rust was very obvious and there is zero doubt of its reality, that is not why I posted the topic. As I said, the rust was in danger of staining the cars paint job directly under the badge. The issue is not weather I am making this up, the issue is what will Tesla do when this shows up on other cars. There will always be those who choose not to believe you because it does not suite their preconceived notions, there is nothing anyone can do to convince these people. Your reply is implying that I am not telling the truth, I plan on buying a Tesla car within a year, I have no reason to make up negative stories, I am simply reporting what I saw. I am a big Tesla supporter, I just want to know if this is a known problem and if so, how will it be handled.

Defensive much?
Maybe montgom was actually just interested in seeing the pictures to better understand what you're seeing. As far as I know this is the first report of rust on the forums despite people like montgom and myself driving throughout the salty winters of Colorado and Wisconsin. Possibly it's a change in the product as original supplier ran out. If your data can be used to prevent others from getting an inferior result with their Model S, then I think all fans of Tesla would appreciate your bringing this to the attention of the production line.

By the way welcome to the forum. And though I am being devils advocate by indicating montgom may not have distrusted you, I will come clean by saying I generally have distrust for anyone who creates a new account and starts a single post to start a negative rumor. Call me a skeptic. In this particular case, you may be right, but I have not witnessed this phenomenon myself.

I considered using the classic rubber/glue metaphor in response but I think you are partly right in that I shouldn't have stirred the pot. I stand by my post but would like to point out that you did in fact respond to me, thus I must not fit your definition of a forum troll since you do not respond to them. Although, in your defense, the fact that I responded to you just now and kept the thread going is certainly behavior entirely consistent with trolling.

So i guess my actual response to the original problem you describe should simply have stated that I have not witnessed this phenomenon, but it sounds like something that Tesla should fix for you without a problem. Let us know how they resolve it.

Nixter,

I'm quite certain Tesla would fix this under warranty. They are going so far as to repair/replace trim pieces with visible water condensation in them, so I'd think a rust stain on the side of the car would more than qualify.

As you noted, the good news is the body panels are all aluminum, so any corrosion that you might have seen would have been from some small bit of steel inside the side reflector piece. I have not seem any other mentions on this problem on the forum, nor have I seen any such corrosion on my 5 month old Model S which has seen winter driving on salt and sand.

Nixter,

I'm quite certain Tesla would fix this under warranty.,...... nor have I seen any such corrosion on my 5 month old Model S which has seen winter driving on salt and sand.

You are probably right, and I'll bet that if we could trace the history of the Tesla Model S that I test drove, we would see that it is a very early Model S and it was parked outdoors all winter, and it was driven as a test drive car every day, which means it was being driven constantly in Chicago's Northern Illinois wet winter conditions. The corrosion was mainly located on the ends of the badge, the middle of it being noticeably less rusty. I think it likely that underneath the emblem we might see two metal attachments, probably some kind of bolts or rivets. It will be a simple fix to use stainless steel components or coat the existing hardware with a rust resistant compound perhaps use plastic attachment hardware or even adhesives which are commonly used in the industry. If that car is the only one with corrosion on the emblem, then it could be a mundane problem like the emblem became loose and the weather was able to get inside and cause rust to occur, a very easy fix if that is what happened, and isolated to that one car.

An rare incident no doubt, probably caused by a unique set of circumstances related to the local conditions, and limited to this one high use vehicle. I see hundreds of rusty Dodge vans and cars around here and I am astounded that Dodge can see this as clearly as the rest of us and then still do nothing about it, this has to hurt their sales immensely. Tesla seems to be run by smart people, and exterior corrosion issues will probably be addressed and corrected quickly. To have your flagship product be publicly marred by easily preventable blemishes would be counterproductive to the goal of increasing sales. There is a good chance that Tesla is aware of the situation and it has already been fixed on all new production runs.

We are planning on putting a $5k reservation on a Model X very soon, I won't let this incident change our minds, I think that Tesla will take care of its customers. I am more worried that Tesla's will become ever more popular and it will become very difficult to get one, than rusty components becoming a big problem.

In Norway and Denmark rust is found (after just 6 month):

1. Side indicators (as mentioned i this forum).

2. On the chrome trim under the rear bumper.

3. On the front fog light glasses.

4. Under the edge of the windscreen.

2. and 3. is probably rust running down from rusty clips behind.

So yes, rust is a problem - but a problem which hopefully will be fixed by next service - and of course without any charge.