Page 60 of 73 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

Thread: Charging the Roadster

Items for Sale
    tesla, when I chage in standard mode, I get about 298-301 kms of range.

When I charge in Range mode, I got about 342 kms of range.

Although I've never been on a track to prove it myself, my understanding is that the Roadster Sport's 3.7 time in a 0-60 sprint is in Performance mode only...I really couldn't hazard a guess to what the 0-60 time is in Standard mode...it has been said that a Roadster Sport in standard mode has roughly the same 0-60 time as the Roadster (3.9).

I think if you search this site a little more, I'm sure you will find more detailed answers to these questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by tesla View Post
    Hey guys,

Two questions for all you Roadster owners:

1) I know Tesla claims a range of 245 miles per charge, but the is only in "Range Mode," and repeated use of this mode will significantly decrease life of the battery. So my question is, what ranges are you averaging in "Standard Mode" ?

2) The claimed 0-60 time of 3.7 seconds on the Sport, is it only in Performance Mode or is it in all modes? If, it's not, what is the 0-60 in "Standard Mode" ?

I've been searching and searching but I can't find the answers to these questions anywhere. Thanks in advance for all your help.
    Member Southern Ontario Tesla Owners Club

My 2010 model 2.0 roadster non sport does 0-60 in 3.9 seconds in performance mode, and 4.4 seconds in standard mode.
    I bet that the Sport also has at least a 1/2 second difference between performance mode and standard mode, someone with a sport should try it.

When someone quotes a range number in standard mode it is confusing because the car hides the bottom 10% of charge from you as a reserve until you need it, and that reserve is about 25 miles.
    I get 187-189 miles in standard mode which is really 212-214 miles with the reserve included.

In the last 1.5 years of driving it, I have used range mode less than 20 times.

I get about 160miles in standard mode on a standard charge, and that's with verifying the 0-35mph and 0-65mph times every chance I get (asymmetric hyper-miling . I could easily get that down to 140mi if I tried, just as easily could get that up to 180mi as well. Range mode on a range charge, I believe I could easily get over 200mi, even with freeway driving. It's all quite predictable and under my control.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    I switched into performance mode for fun while driving the other day and my ideal range dropped from 180 to 140. After I switched back to standard, it stayed at 140. When I got home and recharged, it said it recharged 14kWh even though I had only driven 20 miles that day. Now it says ideal miles are 186 but my estimated miles are only 110. Any ideas as to what's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    I switched into performance mode for fun while driving the other day and my ideal range dropped from 180 to 140. After I switched back to standard, it stayed at 140. When I got home and recharged, it said it recharged 14kWh even though I had only driven 20 miles that day. Now it says ideal miles are 186 but my estimated miles are only 110. Any ideas as to what's going on?
    1. The 180 -> 140 drop is odd. Both standard and performance hide the bottom 10% of the pack, so I'd expect them to show the same number of ideal miles. Performance lets you charge to the top (like Range mode), so the percentage should change but not the ideal miles.

2. Switching back and staying at 140 makes sense.

3. Estimated miles are based on your recent driving, so if you were blasting around in Performance mode, it will reduce your estimated miles until that drops off the driving history.

Any chance you were in Range mode at the beginning? That would explain everything. Other than that, the 180 -> 140 drop and the big charge energy are pretty mysterious.

Have you looked at your log file? That might shed some light.
    Tom Saxton
    Nov 30 2006 to Jun 5 2009 - A long wait for an awesome ride.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    I was only in performance mode for less than a minute. I had charged the night before in standard mode. I don't think I've driven 30 miles since it did this so maybe it just has to clear out of the estimated range history. I'm almost certain I was in standard mode to start since I've never charged in Range mode before.
    I'll take a look at the log. That's a good idea. What should I look for in the log file?

Epyon Power make a module called LUNA that claims to convert any Li-ion based EV to CHAdeMO DC Fast Charge.

Who wants to try it?

Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    I'll take a look at the log. That's a good idea. What should I look for in the log file?
    There's a drive record that occurs every ten minutes that includes the range mode percent state of charge. Take a look to see if that made an abrupt change during that drive. With my parser:

VMSParser -s "02/02/2011" -e "02/02/2011" -r D10M <your log file>

Replace 02/02/2011 with the date of the wacky SOC jump. This will let you know whether it was some display artifact or if the car really changed its estimate of your SOC.

It might also be worth sending your log to Tesla. Obviously, they can tell a lot more about what's going on from the log than we can.
    Tom Saxton
    Nov 30 2006 to Jun 5 2009 - A long wait for an awesome ride.

Quote Originally Posted by dpeilow View Post
    Epyon Power make a module called LUNA that claims to convert any Li-ion based EV to CHAdeMO DC Fast Charge.

Who wants to try it?
    I've contacted epyon in the UK and will look into the possibility of supporting this on my Tesla.

Hi Kevin

I am sure several Tesla Roadster owners will be interested. Can you please keep us publicly informed of your progress.

Thanks

Andrew

Thread Information