Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1010

Thread: Solar happenings

Quote Originally Posted by hcsharp View Post
    In my first paragraph I said If you have solar in VT, and you are connected to the grid, then they don't allow TOU rates. I think you didn't understand my last sentence because I said they don't allow TOU rates with net metering. There would be value (in VT) in home storage but only if you had TOU rates and no solar, OR you went off the grid. I haven't checked to see what Green Mtn Power is offering with the Powerwall but there must be something compelling because they became a Tesla Energy Partner.

Yes we were talking past each other. I understand that if you are selling to the grid in Vermont you can not have TOU. I think the misunderstanding could be in what each of us mean by "connected to the grid" . My point was that the cost effective battery option with the PowerWall means you don't have to ask for permission to install solar because the battery can store your solar generation and you are not selling to the grid. You can still be connected to the grid, but just not selling to the grid. You would not be on Net Metering because technically your solar and batteries are "off the grid" because they are behind your meter and operate in purchasing mode and do not sell to the grid. Net Metering is what we have to ask permission to do. We only need a building permit to install solar and batteries if we are not grid tied.

Theoretically, in Vermont you could be on a TOU rate, charge your batteries at the low TOU rate or from your solar. Then you could use your solar and batteries to run your house during the high TOU rate period. That could save some money if the rate differential is large enough. I think it will be interesting to see what Green Mountain is doing. Other utilities in California are installing battery systems because batteries can respond faster that Peaker Plants, and are more cost effective that buying power from Peakers. That is the value equation that makes solar and batteries a cost effective solution. And that is the value that batteries have when used in combination with solar. Did that explanation make my theory more clear?
    Last edited by Ampster; 2015-05-17 at 10:05 AM.
    Model X reservation #17762
    2013 Smart ED (TOY TSLA), 2013 Chevy Volt (VOLTSTR), 1975 VW Converted to Electric (AMPD VW)
    4kW solar on roof, 24kWh Lithium Battery Storage and Outback Radian Inverter

Nevada may not lift 3% Net Meter cap

Net metering caps are generally expressed as a percentage of the maximum capacity a utility delivers. The STC rating hitting 3% of this value, in this case, becomes the shut-off to new net metered connections. While we're on the topic of VT, they recently went through this and ended up at 15% (?). Nevada is more apt to follow AZ's footsteps, unfortunately.

Lawmakers: No intention to continually raise net metering cap | Las Vegas Review-Journal

It's the latest. No resolution, yet. The PUC gets the ball, to draft a new tariff. NV owners should get ready for flat charges, lower net metering rates of $.05-.10, and potential demand charges at peak sun, Tesla charging, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 3mp_kwh View Post
    ... While we're on the topic of VT, they recently went through this and ended up at 15% (?).
    Was it 15%? Anyway, we negotiated with the utilities and had to give them a lot of concessions to get this.

Quote Originally Posted by hcsharp View Post
    Was it 15%? Anyway, we negotiated with the utilities and had to give them a lot of concessions to get this.
    In MA, we gave up the ability to virtually net meter to third parties, which amounts to assigning your solar power to anyone you designate from the same region. In some ways that gave up a free market for solar watts, but it wan't near the give ups others look like they face.

[top]Low bids on project in Jordan likely to trigger solar energy boom

The lowest ever bids for a solar power project in Jordan could lead to a boom in the region – especially in Saudi Arabia, industry experts say.
    “The Jordanian solar market is going to be booming now that solar energy is evidently cheaper than conventional energy,” said Hadi Tahboub, the regional executive director of development at SkyPower, a UAE firm and bid participant.

He said that the company expected Jordan’s solar photovoltaics (PV) market to boom and trickle into other areas such as Saudi Arabia.

The second round of Jordan’s solar independent power producer (IPP) tender, totalling 200 megawatts, drew the lowest rates for a solar project in the country. The top four bids will each be awarded 50MW.

The lowest bid came from a relatively unknown Greek firm, GI Karnomourakis SunRise PV Systems, at 6.13 US cents.

Blog Entries
    LOL... I think 'The Onion' has a mole in MIT...

[top]
    Scientists Politely Remind World That Clean Energy Technology Ready To Go Whenever - The Onion May 2014

Today’s Solar Panels Can Power The World, MIT Study Finds - MIT Future of series May 2015

We have everything we need today to wakeup to a better tomorrow; Let's get rack'n

Blog Entries
    I've wondered how long it would take for that to catch up... some places like Texas don't meter production, Oncor really has no clue how much solar I've produced.

I love RMI.org, another great summary of what's going on: The Grid is at a Fork in the Road

That I would share this link so others can share it out to those who should know more about the transition.

Nice fireside chat with Lyndon Rive of SolarCity. Thought this part was good to share for this thread, but you might want to watch the other vids as well.

Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101

Thread Information