Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modifications to Soflauthor's very fine CCI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being the inveterate modifier of just about everything I touch, I took Soflauthor's recently-arrived CCI and began making modifications to suit my own needs and tastes.

First, I wanted the carbon-fiber deck to be more fully integrated. Make no mistake. The CCI is a very fine product and very well made. I highly recommend it. But the tambour door was plain black so I added a 3M carbon fiber wrap to its top surface. The door functions very well, but the the 3M wrap must be cut along all of the slots for smooth, jam-free operation. Second, I wanted the direction of the carbon fiber pattern to match that of the Model S trim. So I used the 3M wrap to reverse the direction of the pattern on the CCI deck.

Next I'll be adding a Samsung Galaxy IIIS phone cradle to the phone slot, so when I slip my phone in it's held tightly in place and automatically connects to the USB plug. Finally, I'll be adding a 4-port USB hub to the storage space. That to connect my iPod, a USB hard drive, and a li-on USB charged emergency flashlight. That work will be done as soon as all of the necessary parts arrive.

Here's a rather crude photo of the mods to the CCI deck.

Now all I need is the Model S to install this in.

DSC_3124.JPG

Being the inveterate modifier of just about everything I touch, I took Soflauthor's recently-arrived CCI and began making modifications to suit my own needs and tastes.

First, I wanted the carbon-fiber deck to be more fully integrated. Make no mistake. The CCI is a very fine product and very well made. I highly recommend it. But the tambour door was plain black so I added a 3M carbon fiber wrap to its top surface. The door functions very well, but the the 3M wrap must be cut along all of the slots for smooth, jam-free operation. Second, I wanted the direction of the carbon fiber pattern to match that of the Model S trim. So I used the 3M wrap to reverse the direction of the pattern on the CCI deck.

Next I'll be adding a Samsung Galaxy IIIS phone cradle to the phone slot, so when I slip my phone in it's held tightly in place and automatically connects to the USB plug. Finally, I'll be adding a 4-port USB hub to the storage space. That to connect my iPod, a USB hard drive, and a li-on USB charged emergency flashlight. That work will be done as soon as all of the necessary parts arrive.

Here's a rather crude photo of the mods to the CCI deck.

Now all I need is the Model S to install this in.

View attachment 19017

Have you done a test to validate if the hub will work?
You may not realize, but the hub requires software/firmware in the main unit to recognize it and enable connections to the other devices... if they either didn't add hubs or chose not to have more than one source of USB data, then the hub won't work. Yes, I realize that the basis linux has those drivers, but you don't know without experimentation if they are enabled.

You could still make a number of USB power-only connectors by just connecting all the + and - to a good 3A+ 5V power supply.

The owners manual specifically recommends against USB hubs:

Do not connect multiple
devices using a USB hub. This
can prevent the devices from
charging or being recognized.

My hunch is that most will work but they just had trouble with a couple, so that's just a CYA. My suggestions:

- Self-powered hub using the 12V rather than bus-powered, especially with that many devices
- Test it in a Model S before you integrate it too tightly into the CCI
- Don't get a really cheap hub (moderately priced is fine - the cheapest can get pretty sketchy though)

The owners manual specifically recommends against USB hubs:

My hunch is that most will work but they just had trouble with a couple, so that's just a CYA. My suggestions:

- Self-powered hub using the 12V rather than bus-powered, especially with that many devices
- Test it in a Model S before you integrate it too tightly into the CCI
- Don't get a really cheap hub (moderately priced is fine - the cheapest can get pretty sketchy though)

Thanks for the advice - I didn't know. I ordered a Targus hub, assuming that brand is decent quality.

I'll have to get the CCI back into my hands to see what type of mods I'll have to make to it. Not sure where I'll FIND the time but PASSION will push aside some other vestige part of my life for sure! That being said, I like your mods and look forward to seeing what you do with your GS3 as I also have one (did you really think I'd not be different and have an iPhone? - been there, done that)! Here is a picture of my "install" :redface:

Begs the question, do you need to order it with carbon fiber? Or can you order a base one and cover it? I don't know if there's a price difference. But I'm sure it's better to have it than have to wrap it, esp. in hot climates. I do recall sofl saying they will fix the fiber in future ones. Don't quote me on that though.

Begs the question, do you need to order it with carbon fiber? Or can you order a base one and cover it? I don't know if there's a price difference. But I'm sure it's better to have it than have to wrap it, esp. in hot climates. I do recall sofl saying they will fix the fiber in future ones. Don't quote me on that though.

You'd certainly save money without the cf deck.

CCI trash bin and cup holder cover

Here are a few of my easy additions to Soflauthor's CCI. I wanted a small trash container and holder for a few transponders, so I printed them up on my 3D printer. I also cut a quick cup holder cover with the Tesla logo. Not bad for about 30 minutes worth of work. If anyone wants the files I can put them up on Thingiverse. They were printed on a Makerbot Rep2

image (1).jpeg
image.jpeg
photo.JPG

Here are a few of my easy additions to Soflauthor's CCI. I wanted a small trash container and holder for a few transponders, so I printed them up on my 3D printer. I also cut a quick cup holder cover with the Tesla logo. Not bad for about 30 minutes worth of work. If anyone wants the files I can put them up on Thingiverse. They were printed on a Makerbot Rep2
Great stuff! Thanx for postin'!

Sorry for the delay. On Holiday. Here is the link to the 3D files on Thingiverse. Printed on a Makerbot Rep2 with medium (standard) settings. The trash bin slips in snug, but is easily removed to empty. Google Sketchup files are also there, so others can modify or improve without having to recreate the wheel. Mine has two small vertical slots for freeway/gate transponders, but I could see the need for change bins, ipod holder, etc.

Tesla Model S - Teslaccessories Center Console Insert bin and cup holder by AllDigital - Thingiverse