Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Regen fail - scary

Model X #1417
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch672 View Post
    My guess: complexity. It would probably be simpler for them to use the heating elements in the pack as a resistive load to dump the energy into, because the energy is from the motor.. Of course the heater probably isn't large enough to handle the power required, so that's probably why they aren't doing it. They could have a resistive load just for this purse, but that would add cost and take up space as well...
    What would be complex? It seems likely the anti-lock braking is controlled by the same computer that manages the regen, or one that communicates with it, so why not just apply the brakes to emulate the regen? I can understand why it might take a while to put the code in, but it certainly doesn't sound any more complex than what they've currently got running.

Quote Originally Posted by Vger View Post
    And you will also see another dashed line in the top (discharge) portion of the power meter when the battery is quite low. Motive power is limited to help you hypermile to your charging destination.
    And I think to protect the battery pack. You don't want to be drawing large currents from a pack at a very low state of charge... bad for the cells.

Anyway, back on topic. ddenboer, if you didn't see the reduced regen line then my bet is on a traction issue. Perhaps the rear wheels were on a bit of road paint, damp section, or bumpy area. If regen kicks in but the rear tires lose grip it will decrease regen to allow the tires to regain traction.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by sp4rk View Post
    My Leaf (using it for a couple of days while my S is having elective inpatient facelift surgery (full wrap)) ... it only regens when I apply the brake ... and then hardly slows the card down at all.
    Not the way my '11 LEAF behaves. In 'D' there is not much regen - more in 'ECO' and it becomes greater with brake pedal application. But regen does indeed start when releasing the accelerator - no brake pedal pressure required.
    All electric - green S85, red LEAF. No ICE.

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    Anyway, back on topic. ddenboer, if you didn't see the reduced regen line then my bet is on a traction issue. Perhaps the rear wheels were on a bit of road paint, damp section, or bumpy area. If regen kicks in but the rear tires lose grip it will decrease regen to allow the tires to regain traction.
    So I should have added some detail but it was late, I was tired (yada yada yada)

This was around 7:45am, and outside temp was 48. Car was plugged and charging 15 minutes prior, and heat was on for around 10 minutes to warm up to the back seats for the kids (because after we start driving and I turn the heat off, they need as much as they can get). No regen dotted lines. No reduced power dotted lines. Standard charge, showing 241 miles when we drove off.

Traffic was typical 101 traffic -- no one is doing the speed limit -- most are 70-80 and braking/accelerating constantly until our 4th lane gets added after Cochrane Rd.

Anyway... It has not happened since (and I hope it doesn't). It was just a very odd feeling that made it necessary to hit the brake to avoid collision (way too many crazy drivers on 101 on a daily basis).

Banned
    and by "scary", you mean "not scary", right?

Quote Originally Posted by Puyallup Bill View Post
    Not the way my '11 LEAF behaves. In 'D' there is not much regen - more in 'ECO' and it becomes greater with brake pedal application. But regen does indeed start when releasing the accelerator - no brake pedal pressure required.

Mine behaves this way as well. You can 'one-pedal drive' quite a bit with the Leaf in Eco-mode. If I recall from my MS test drive (feels like ages ago) the regen was more aggressive in the MS, but the Leaf definately does it.
    All EV, no ICE!
    '13 Model S 85, Multi-Coat Red
    '12 LEAF SL, Cayenne Red

Happy Model S Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by mulder1231 View Post
    In those cases, you should see a yellow dashed line on the lower right portion of the speedometer indicating how far the regen is limited. I noticed that line there at the 30kW mark on a cold evening, coming back from a 3-day trip. It disappeared after a few minutes driving.
    I've had that dotted line present for pretty much all my driving since I got the car (2 weeks). That's the combo of winter weather and very short trips. However, my very conservative driving style means that 30 kW regen is plenty to slow me down much faster than I need, so it hasn't been an issue.

I've never had the dotted line limit regen more than that. Perhaps after a range charge? Perhaps in much colder weather?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    Quite possible. I've already had the "fun" experience of losing traction (on ice), and I had to hit the brakes. The brakes went into anti-lock mode immediately, which gave me a pretty strong clue as to what was going on. (The anti-lock brakes were highly effective.)
    I take "Electro", my amazing Model S, to the train station: yes, it's a station wagon

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neroden View Post
    I've had that dotted line present for pretty much all my driving since I got the car (2 weeks). That's the combo of winter weather and very short trips. However, my very conservative driving style means that 30 kW regen is plenty to slow me down much faster than I need, so it hasn't been an issue.
    If you pre-heat the cabin using the smartphone app, you can reduce or eliminate the regen limitation on cold days.

Thread Information