Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

center console concept

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See my original post for background: center console | Forums | Tesla Motors

I moved to here so i can upload pics.

I've now firmed up a quote for this center console. I drew a picture (not to scale) but will serve as the guiding principle for the construction. I've committed to having 10 of these made for a total of $3,800. That's $380 per center console.

i) fit/finish: sides will be black leather; top will be black acrylic to match factory.
ii) two cup holders toward the back (closest to usb plugs) - see diagram
iii) a plate which will accept a phone mount on the left side (the proclipusa mounts will allow you to mount it at an upward angle)
iv) a tray that can store the misc. on the right side of the phone (i'm thinking sunglasses)
v) beyond that we would have a concealed compartment that would extend up to the factory tray. It would be accessed by some sort of roll up or flip up door (TBD)

Timing: Will be done inside two weeks.

Options/Colors: To quote Ford - you can have any colors you want as long as its black leather with the shiny black acrylic top. For this price he is not willing to customize colors. He's willing to add a second color combo but he would likely need a sample (donor car) to match it to and he would need several of the 10 orders in that color combo.

Location: Work is being done by an upholstery shop in Mountain View.

Can we get 10 people in the bay area who would like to pick up their consoles (as I really prefer to not ship these things around)? I'm not looking to make a dime on this transaction - I'll pay for mine just the same as everyone else and i'll have to give my car up for 3 days to have it built.

Now who's in?

Sid's Custom Upholstery

1917 Old Middlefield Way, Mountain View, CA
Screen Shot 2013-03-01 at 5.26.51 PM.png

Cool, call me intrigued and perhaps even interested. I like the CCI concept, but it is more than I'd want to spend. (Not saying it isn't worth it, just more than I was hoping to spend.)

My primary concern with any of these would be squeaks and rattles. Have you considered that, esp. over time? Things may fit initially, but over time might start to squeak, come loose, etc. Are the sides going to be rubberized or something to minimize friction noise?

I'm following with interest, but also not in Cali. I'm still totally torn over the CCI concept, I don't think it's over priced at all, but, it's probably too rich for my blood, and I suspect my wife wouldn't be too thrilled. I'd happily pay a bit more, around $500ish, for something like this with a finish that would compliment the Model S interior (not necessarily match, as I suspect the veneers for the various finishes are not cheap to source), but as mentioned above, it would have to be completely squeak free, any noise is very obvious in such a quiet car.

I'm in Nevada near Las Vegas, but come to the Bay Area fairly regularly. I definitely want at least one compartment which closesto hide "junk". Interested, but would like to see more details and pix before I commit.

Let us know when you have pix.

Update -- things are moving along nicely. I'm making six initially (4 black and 2 white). I'm using a really high quality cupholder. For those of you who know it is a 3series bmw factory cupholder. It will be undermounted. The cell phone holder will be a proclip so that you can attach any handset specific one you want to it. Here's a pic to wet your appetite. I think it will be done in next 10 days or so. More to come ...

flyyellow-albums-center-console-picture20614-center1.jpg

There will be plenty of pictures soon. I built these speculatively just to get the cost down to something manageable. No worries - nobody is buying any of them until we see the fit and finish. I'm taking the risk in making these so let's just see how it plays out. Assuming it comes out nice I expect that we will see scores of them being made.