Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

center console concept

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking forward to the pics too. Did you ever decide to ship these? Cali is a long way from Texas....

BTW, I like the cup holders you've opted for, I think the ones with the little 'fingers' inside are much better at holding a variety of cups.

OK Pics - here we go....

Couple Thoughts & Observations from me:

1. Fit - needs adjustment so that we don't have the gap issue on the sides (see pics). They are correcting it so should be done in a day or so.
2. Finish - looks very nice. The only thing I'd really like is to have a chrome ring around the cup holders to make look more OEM. Other than that, the leather match is very very close, the double stitching is very nice, the black shiny epoxy looks very OEM. They don't have a solution for the chrome ring so I need to noodle on that. Others feel free to chime in with ideas - this is a community effort...
3. Functionality - I really like the functionality of the unit!
4. Phone holder - the one that i ordered doesn't look quite right so it is NOT mounted yet. I'm going to order a different one and try a slightly different approach there. Will let you know how it comes out.

All in all - very very nice. I'd give it a solid 8/10 and for the price I don't think you can beat it!

Process: I've made six of them (one for myself). Two people stopped by and contributed to the development of this product, so they get first shot at it. The next four are up for grabs.

flyyellow-albums-ccnearfinal-picture20878-2.jpeg

flyyellow-albums-ccnearfinal-picture20879-3.jpeg

flyyellow-albums-ccnearfinal-picture20880-4.jpeg

flyyellow-albums-ccnearfinal-picture20882-6.jpeg

flyyellow-albums-ccnearfinal-picture20881-5.jpeg

flyyellow-albums-ccnearfinal-picture20877-a.jpeg

I agree that the cupholders need something -- even just a rubber ring so the edges don't seem to abrupt. Are they deep? They look sort of shallow, though I like the location. Honestly, for space to stand cups so they don't fall, it's almost worth it alone.

Any thoughts on the decking? 3M CF wrap? I think the area closer to the under screen cubby might be better served with a wider enclosed-storage solution personally, with another location to tuck the phone in.

Can you take some shots a bit farther away?

He can wrap in 3M CF - but does that match the factory CF? As for the wider enclosed storage - i agree. There wasn't a cost effective way to fab that very well, so I turned it in to a purse storage area. I'm going to try it and see how well it works. We can certainly make it deeper quite easily. Thanks for feedback!

- - - Updated - - -

@AnOutsider -- oh forgot about cup holders. These are the factory BMW 3 series cupholders. They are awesome and work super well. They are every so slightly deeper than on the bmw because they are undermounted but in our old 3 series they worked so well.

This looks really good! I know you don't intend to do this for your job, so I'm reluctant to ask, but will there be options for other leather colors and for finish on the deck surface to match other Tesla dash wood choices? If easier, is your upholsterer able to get more of these without leather or top finish and then I could bring my car in to match my tan leather and obeche gloss wood, possibly benefiting other owners? (I'm right near Mountain View)

Ok I've been scouring the internet looking for 3-1/8" chrome bezels. Found several that could work that are meant for instrument clusters and a couple with LED bling-bling lights but nothing spot on.
@JoshG -- I believe we've now matched the white and black leather. If someone wants to stop by we can match the tan leather. The shop is in Mountain View so you can go and match the leather yourself and it will get wrapped just for you.
@AnOutsider -- If you want to buy the CF wrap and send it to Sid he is willing to wrap in CF.

OK couple updates:

I've sent an email to all who have expressed interest and left their email addresses on the forums. Thus far we have 21 people who expressed interest but I only have 15 email addresses. So please PM me the information below so I can get an accurate count. My goal is to get this done by Monday and despite only building 6 at the moment, I believe we can build as many as we want. This will give us a one-time run. Hugo is willing to build more of them but they won't be at the same price as this initial run - so this is your/our chance to get a good price and what I think is a worthwhile enhancement to the car.

1. Name
2. Email Address
3. Geography
4. Leather Choice: Black, White Tan
5. Top choice: black piano or carbon fiber (we haven't matched any other yet)

If you want to see the pics go to: center console concept - Page 5

Price: At cost with no profit
$380 for console
$25 for cupholders
$40 for cellphone mount (optional)
----
$445

UPDATE

Fit - all issues have been resolved. It fits beautifully and to borrow a word - it is truly drop-in.
Finish - The cupholders have been finished and look nice. We are still looking for a chrome or brushed aluminum trim piece. The issue is price it is $18 per opening and I get the feeling that everyone is a bit conscious on this so I haven't had it done yet.
Cell Phone Mount - It's in and I find a viewable cell phone is really a big plus when driving (e.g. I can see when someone texts me, or calendar pop-ups, notifications....) I can simply glance down now without fumbling to pickup a phone and look at it. Big improvement!

I believe it's ready for prime time - so if you want one you can get it in ~2-3 weeks. I believe I have one spot left for the original six!

There are several who want Obeche wood (gloss and flat). Hugo appears willing to go to the dealership and match them - so you are in luck.

Full Disclosure - before you buy this one I want everyone to realize that Tesla just announced a drop-in center console of their own. Price is tbd and stated a summer 2013 shipment date. That being said, I think this one rocks, has a better finished look, cup holders are the best out there and a visible phone mount is huge. I'm a bit partial to my design - enough said :biggrin:

OK Some new pics:

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
5.jpeg
6.jpeg
7.jpeg
8.jpeg

@AnOutsider - I took the car to the Tesla Dealership in Menlo Park and the service techs were all drooling over the center console. They too liked it the way it sits in the car. They couldn't believe that it matched down to the stitching and the fit... So they really liked it and asked if I was planning to start a business out of it. I explained to them that they have one now on their website and it's coming in Summer. Needless to say they thought it looked very OEM!

Boris, I'm still with you and ready to make payment. However, if we really can match both tan leather and oberchre matt, then that would be my preference. You've really done a great job. Finally, if Hugo has gone this far, I don't imagine it would be too difficult to fashion a little door for the open area. If not, again, I'm happy to take it as is. You have my cell phone and direct email. FWIW, today's my birthday. So, thanks for kicking it off with some good news.