Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*** This tread was originally posted on Club Lexus forum ***

This is my story… After 20+ years of mini-van and 7 passenger SUVs and now my kids are grown, I decided to search for a sedan that’s a little more sporty, good looks and performance with high quality. I have been waiting for the ES300h with ULP since September. My local sales rep., told me it is now due mid-December. ES300h attracted me because of the good mpg and Lexus’s reputation of good reliability. I never owned a Lexus before but willing to give it a try. I started to follow Club Lexus and learned a great deal about the ES along with many informative comments from the members, very appreciated. When I test drove the 300h, it was OK, stable, comfortable, quiet and good mpg. The CVT is not what I like but I can live with it. Drivability and performance is average but nothing standout. My sales rep. who refused to negotiate the price and insisted they could easily find other customers. This is the first time in my 30 years of new car purchase/order with no negotiation, very proud dealership.

Before I got interested in ES300h, I’ve been following the Tesla Model S development for sometime. Though the car has quite a lot of publicity lately, Motor Trend Car of the Year, Automobile Car of the Year and awash in many awards, I only sat in the Model S prototype once but test drive was not allowed at the time so I didn’t expect a lot based on my initial viewpoints: a little too wide, little too heavy, little too expensive (about 20K+ than the 300h with ULP). In the back of my mind something continues to push me. That is a company with American design and manufacturing. An innovative and good engineering company that strives for the future EV revolution. I am no environmentalist but an EV with good range makes a lot of sense to me now since I don’t travel much by car anymore. In addition, we can alleviate the dependence of foreign oil along with the notion that we may pay $5 or more per gallon of gasoline someday. If this movement can be a game changer, why not consider supporting the American product and company.

Yesterday I decided to travel 277 miles to the nearest showroom (Tesla has their own showrooms and service centers, no dealer involved), Washington DC to test drive the car. I arrived around 1pm and Beau was there to welcome me but I was very eager to test drive the car. Traffic in the city prevented me to fully test the car but once I was on the freeway and then the country road, I immediately noticed the pull. The car was ridiculously fast. The instant torque from standstill was like Usian Bolt running the 100m dash. The air suspension and chassis made the car very stable, comfortable and absorbed even heavy bumps. The pancake battery on the floor made the center of gravity so low which made turning sharp corners easy and quick. I learned that as soon as I took my foot off the “gas” paddle, the car slowed down quite a bit and I no longer need to step on the brake even for a sharp turn, a new and good experience. The 30 minute ride reminded me of my college days driving habit, GO FAST and ENJOY THE THRILL. This car is nicely sculpted in German flavor which I like. Interior quality is very good but I have a few complaints (cup holder position, lack of center console and window pockets) but it doesn’t prevent me to fall in love with the car.
In the end, the beauty of Model S, the driving excitement and thrill, a well-built and true sport sedan along with the joy of guilty pleasure convinced me to join the EV revolution and willingness the discover the new journey.

Thank you for reading my story.

Great story, this resonates with my journey as well. I was never out looking for an electric car, in fact, I've never owned even a hybrid. The Model S won me over first because it is an amazing car (with an inspirational back-story), and second, because it's electric.

Do you have a link? It would be interesting reading to see the thread that follows.

It's that drive that gets ya. Your college days feeling is a later stage of making a driver.

Driving with no braking is what you imagine what driving might be like when you are very young. When you get to the age of being allowed behind the wheel, the excitement of permission and the power of just being able to self propel overshadows the disappointment of it not simply zipping around with a foot pedal like you had imagined.

Last edited:
This is my fifth EV. But there is absolutely NO comparison. Honda EV Plus, Toyota RAV4, Nissan Leaf (current), BMW Active E (current) and the MS. While the BMW is a blast to drive, the Tesla is a rocket. I love the ride, the speed, the "no gas" and many other aspects of the car. But what I really appreciate is that the thing was American engineered and American produced. I don't hear much about those two facts but folks we should be tremendously proud of this single fact! What the other manufacturers of my other electric cars could never do (build a luxury sedan that performs with the very best of luxury sedans), Tesla has done.

Wave the flag! Throw out your chest! Pump your fist! This really IS a big deal. I'm installing solar at home and at my office so with this MS, I am flying AMERICAN all the way (not the airlines!!).