Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official: Replacement Battery Option

Blog Entries

Official: Replacement Battery Option

New prices, Updates and Additions

We have received many requests for a Battery Replacement Option. We are happy to now offer this option for all three battery variants. This option will provide you a new battery anytime after the end of the eighth year at a fixed price. Prices are as follows: $8,000 for the 40 kWh battery, $10,000 for the 60 kWh battery, and $12,000 for the 85 kWh battery. You will be able to purchase this additional option through your MyTesla page in the near future.

Wow, only $12K to replace the 85kWh battery? That is pretty sweet, and could be very handy five years down the road. That could really help with resale value, as well.
    Model X P6028 / Model S P4996 - 85kWh, Sequoia Green, Pano Roof, 19" Wheels, Tan Leather, Obeche Gloss, Tech, Sound, Air Susp, Jump Seats, Shelf, Xpel Wrap, Twin Chargers and HPWC - Delivered and loving it!

Blog Entries
    Would have liked to have tagged that $12k onto my USAA Auto Loan...a bit too late now. Not sure how easy it will be to scrape together another $12k cash...and I wonder how long that option will be available?
    Evan E. Fusco, MD--Nixa, MO
    Model S R77/VIN-1267-- Black 85kWh (non-perf), Tech, Lacewood trim, tan interior, Sound Studio, Air Suspension, 19" rims, twin chargers, HPWC
    Model X Reservation Sequence # 5966 (for the wife)

Think about inflation in 8 years. These prices could really be a steal, but no doubt a whole lot of variables in 8 years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeP View Post
    Wow, only $12K to replace the 85kWh battery? That is pretty sweet, and could be very handy five years down the road. That could really help with resale value, as well.
    I agree. IIRC, that's the same price that the Roadster had, if so for the S I think that's a great deal.

I wonder if the replacement battery comes with the same warranty. For instance, does the replacement 85kWh battery have another 8 year unlimited mileage warranty? I would think so, but it's worth discussion.
    P85 VIN55228. Black and tan w/ Carbon Fiber decor, spoiler, coils, Pano, Reus audio (To be installed), 20" Avant Garde M310s (Matte Black), tech, parking sensors, premium lighting.
    (Original Model S, now in hEaVen: VIN 1653, S85, Dolphin Gray)

Blog Entries
    It's a great deal. The Roadster battery replacement option (which I'm glad to say I purchased) is priced the same ($12K) but for a smaller battery. So not only did they not raise the price, it's a substantially better deal when you look at the battery size.

Color them confident.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

I guess I'm torn. 8 years from now inflation says this is a great deal, but could new battery technology make it worse? What happens in the off-chance that battery prices drop? Will Tesla refund part of the price?
    P3,339: 60 kWh, blue/gray/lacewood, 19 inch wheels, tech package, sound package, air suspension
    Delivered: February 8, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bonnie1194 View Post
    It's a great deal. The Roadster battery replacement option (which I'm glad to say I purchased) is priced the same ($12K) but for a smaller battery. So not only did they not raise the price, it's a substantially better deal when you look at the battery size.

Color them confident.
    Bonnie,

What's the price for those that didn't prepay?

Aren't we expecting Tesla to come out with a higher capacity pack after 8 years+ have passed? What if I get the pre-pay option, then a 120kWh battery pack comes out? Can I cancel my pre-pay?

For me, there are WAY too many questions here that Tesla hasn't yet answered.
    P85 VIN55228. Black and tan w/ Carbon Fiber decor, spoiler, coils, Pano, Reus audio (To be installed), 20" Avant Garde M310s (Matte Black), tech, parking sensors, premium lighting.
    (Original Model S, now in hEaVen: VIN 1653, S85, Dolphin Gray)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    I guess I'm torn. 8 years from now inflation says this is a great deal, but could new battery technology make it worse? What happens in the off-chance that battery prices drop? Will Tesla refund part of the price?
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Bonnie,

What's the price for those that didn't prepay?

Aren't we expecting Tesla to come out with a higher capacity pack after 8 years+ have passed? What if I get the pre-pay option, then a 120kWh battery pack comes out? Can I cancel my pre-pay?

For me, there are WAY too many questions here that Tesla hasn't yet answered.
    So that's the thing with insurance. You don't KNOW you're going to have an accident, but you purchase insurance anyway. I bought the replacement option for peace of mind. We don't know the price of the replacement battery because the first Roadsters are just coming off warranty.

My assumption is that there may be a better battery technology available at the time I exercise my replacement option -- and there will be a discounted price offered to me. But I don't KNOW that. Tesla may give me an equivalent battery to what I have. Or they might have only the better battery to offer and that's what I get. Impossible to know now.

- - - Updated - - -

fyi - I've never regretted purchasing the option.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Thread Information