Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas registration issues and steps to navigate them

Quote Originally Posted by stephenpace View Post
    Just to confirm, Texas allows you to get plates without having the car inspected. Two separate processes.
    Good to know. Things have changed. In 2008, I brought in a car from South Carolina and was not able to complete the transaction (taxes, registration, plates) until I had the green sheet. I believe I had posted some old information in this thread, so I stand corrected.

WJ

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenpace View Post
    Just to confirm, Texas allows you to get plates without having the car inspected. Two separate processes. I don't know what would happen if you got stopped on the way to getting it inspected, but as long as you were respectful to the cop, I'm thinking you would just get a warning, especially if you showed them you just got the car that day and told them that you were getting it inspected later that day.
    I'm not too worried about that. I drove for a few months without an inspection sticker not all that long ago (I did have a current registration sticker). It was the driving to the inspection station with no plates that I was concerned with.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

I have been thinking ... if California sends the car with that small sticker in the front window, why not take the data, put it on a license-plate sized firm paper (well made, computer printer, etc.) and slap it on the back. You get pulled, you produce the actual California document that supports the temp tag. I would doubt that there are any osifers (officers) here who have too much knowledge of California temporary registration plates. ????

@stephenpace: How many days prior to delivery did you get the paperwork to register your car?

JAK

I don't remember at this point. A week or two at least.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TXjak View Post
    @stephenpace: How many days prior to delivery did you get the paperwork to register your car?

JAK
    I can't remember exactly at this point either but think it arrived a week before as well. I don't believe they sent the title right away which I needed so I couldn't go until the day after I got my car.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Texas Delivery & Registration Process

So here's the process following the "finalize" step (as I see it at this point, based on various reports):

1. Tesla contacts you with VIN and shipment date, advises of balance due.
    2. You pay the balance due.
    3. About a week or two prior to shipment, Tesla sends you some California paperwork to sign.
    4. You return it to Tesla
    5. Prior to shipment (hopefully), Tesla sends you the Certificate of Origin, Texas Application for Title and other paperwork. (If not, see below.)
    6. You file the Application for Title with your County Tax Office, pay the sales tax, show proof of insurance and get your registration sticker and license plates (temp or otherwise).
    7. Your vehicle is delivered. You attach license plate(s) and go get a state inspection.
    8. You receive your Texas Title in the mail sometime later.

Note: If you get the car before you get the Texas paperwork to register it, you can get temporary tags at the DMV for $25 to allow you to drive the car for up to 30 days.

JAK
    Last edited by TXjak; 2013-01-09 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Added two steps for extra Calif. docs and what to do if paperwork is late.

So here's the process following the "finalize" step (as I see it at this point, based on various reports):

3. About a week or two prior to shipment, Tesla sends you the Certificate of Origin and other paperwork.
    4. You get insurance and file the Application for Title with your County Tax Office, pay the sales tax, and get your registration sticker and license plates (temp or otherwise).
    5. Your vehicle is delivered. You attach license plate(s) and go get a state inspection.
    6. You receive your Texas Title in the mail sometime later.

I hope someone who has gone through this process in Texas in the past week or two will verify/comment.

JAK
    Thanks TXjak. That summary will do nicely.

(until Texas goes all Massachusetts on us and starts filing injunctions on registration!)

3. About a week or two prior to shipment, Tesla sends you the Certificate of Origin and other paperwork.
    4. You get insurance and file the Application for Title with your County Tax Office, pay the sales tax, and get your registration sticker and license plates (temp or otherwise).
    5. Your vehicle is delivered. You attach license plate(s) and go get a state inspection.
    6. You receive your Texas Title in the mail sometime later.

I hope someone who has gone through this process in Texas in the past week or two will verify/comment.

JAK
    JAK,

It is my understanding that you have to obtain a Green Sheet from the inspection station, which I believe is just an affirmation that the VIN# that you are subsequently going to submit to the DMV is accurate. I am not positive that this step is necessary as I am still awaiting on finalizing my insurance coverage before going through the registration process. If the Green Sheet is really a part of the process that would mean that you have to take your car to the inspection station for the VIN# verification prior to going to the DMV. I would like to get everything settled before my car arrives. Hopefully the Green Sheet step is not necessary and that Tesla's Final MVPA is suitable for registration with the DMV.
    "These go to eleven..."

Guess the next person to do it will tell us. I didn't have it, though. I got the plates without the car and got it inspected the day after I received it since I received it late in the day.

Thread Information