Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV/Model S Taxes in Norway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Positive article saying that the Model S is a christmas gift from Norwegian politicians to Norwegians. (Due to the lack og taxes for EV cars in Norway, this car is half the price or less than it's competitors)

Positive article saying that the Model S is a christmas gift from Norwegian politicians to Norwegians. (Due to the lack og taxes for EV cars in Norway, this car is half the price or less than it's competitors)

Sigh! What I would give to live in Norway right now.

No but seriously, I can't understand how Germany's government thinks it will be able to achieve its goal of "one million EV's on German roads by 2020" without giving potential customers any relevant incentive to buy one. Let alone such gracious offers as in Norway.

Ok, Norway fortunately doesn't have a carmaker-lobby like we have here.

No but seriously, I can't understand how Germany's government thinks it will be able to achieve its goal of "one million EV's on German roads by 2020" without giving potential customers any relevant incentive to buy one. Let alone such gracious offers as in Norway.

It's not actually the Model S that's cheap - it's all other cars (ICE) that are heavily (!!) taxed...

Let me put it this way: A new BMW M5 starts, before ANY options, at NOK 1.825.200 here in Norway. That's $318.200... If you have any interest in cars at all you do NOT want to live in Norway.

Let me put it this way: A new BMW M5 starts, before ANY options, at NOK 1.825.200 here in Norway. That's $318.200... If you have any interest in cars at all you do NOT want to live in Norway.

:scared:

That is almost unbelievable. (Ok, an M5 has most "options" of the normal 5-series as standard anyway, but nonetheless).
So either most Norwegians only have Ford Fiesta's and the like, or they earn enormous amounts of money to pay for their cost of living.

:scared:

That is almost unbelievable. (Ok, an M5 has most "options" of the normal 5-series as standard anyway, but nonetheless).
So either most Norwegians only have Ford Fiesta's and the like, or they earn enormous amounts of money to pay for their cost of living.

You can get large cars that aren't too expensive. You cannot however get fast, powerful cars cheap because of the horsepower registration tax.

So while the M5 costs $318k, you can get a 520d for $83k. A VW Golf 1.6TDI costs about the same as the Leaf, $46k.

So, help me understand here ... what is Norway's thinking about "horsepower" tax? Is it another way of saying "gas or petrol guzzling tax"?

Yep. Taxes are based on horsepower, weight and CO2-emission (was displacement before CO2). The tax is not linear at all:
0-88hp $0 per hp.
88-122hp $40 per hp (in the interval, thus $1360 for a 122hp car)
122-177hp $114 per hp.
177hp-up $283 per hp.

So you can see a 120hp car aren't subjected to much HP tax, while a 550hp M5 will cost more than the MSP just in hp tax. Then you can add CO2 and weigth tax which doesn't favour the M5 much either...

Yep. Taxes are based on horsepower, weight and CO2-emission (was displacement before CO2). The tax is not linear at all:
0-88hp $0 per hp.
88-122hp $40 per hp (in the interval, thus $1360 for a 122hp car)
122-177hp $114 per hp.
177hp-up $283 per hp.

So you can see a 120hp car aren't subjected to much HP tax, while a 550hp M5 will cost more than the MSP just in hp tax. Then you can add CO2 and weigth tax which doesn't favour the M5 much either...
Interesting. So a horribly inefficient low horsepower vehicle (Model T?) has lower taxes than an reasonably efficient medium horsepower vehicle (Taurus?).

It also sounds like it's only for gas vehicles not EV vehicles. How does it work out for hybrids? If it does apply to EV, does that suggest a "weakened" version of the Model S has a cheaper tax hit?

Interesting. So a horribly inefficient low horsepower vehicle (Model T?) has lower taxes than an reasonably efficient medium horsepower vehicle (Taurus?).

True.

It also sounds like it's only for gas vehicles not EV vehicles.

True.

How does it work out for hybrids?

They are taxed like they are ICEs - this is why BEVs/100% EVs have been so sucessful here. Neither the 40kW, 65kW, 85kW or 85kW Per. Model S will be taxed at all here! Not even sales tax!

Actually hybrids does get a slight reduction in taxes. They subtract the weight of the battery and electric motor when calculating the weight component of the tax. Thus they get a lower "effective" weight.
The CO2 component is also very progressive
50-115g CO2 /km -620kr/g
115-135g CO2 /km 738kr per gram
135-175g CO2 /km 744kr per gram
175-250g CO2 /km 1735kr per gram
Over 250 g/km 2784kr per gram

And as you can see the hybrids with very low CO2 like 89g or 99g will get a few thousand to subrtact from the weight and horsepower part of the taxes. So keep in mind the taxes can be 0 but never negative. EVs as mentioned above get 0 tax AND 0 sales tax while all other cars have our normal 25% VAT.
Interesting point hydrogen cars have the same advantages as electric cars and also have special licence plates. All our EV plates have the letters EL while hydrogen uses HY.

Cobos