Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Demo-Car rolling in Europe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TM just posted the following picture on Facebook.

Look at the roadsigns - these don't look like the ones in North America (should be yellow, not red/white).

tm_eu.jpg

Wikipedia knows where to find that warning sign:
warning.jpg

So my guess ist that there is a Model S rolling around in Germany! This would be happy news for us!

Considering the middle stripes on the road are white, we can at least rule out Norway. We have yellow lines where traffic goes in both directions, and since there are no other roads... Not Norway.
Considering the weather, condition of the fields, that they are plowed to the level they are, my guess is Denmark for this.

As I understand it there will be 20 lucky bastards that can drive Model S in the Netherlands next week. The Electric Transportation Centre in Rotterdam will provide test drives for people who have inscribed for their "Model S for CEO's" programm.

That picture could well have been taken in the Netherlands too.

http://elektrisch-vervoer-centrum.nl/?page_id=3498
This picture can't be from the Netherlands.

We don't have the small white border on the edge of the sign.

My bet is on Germany!

My first thought was that the sign is on the left side of the road, hence UK or Ireland. But wait a minute the sign for the traffic going in the other directions is posted on the same pole. Hm, a cheap road sign engineer?
Sweden got yellow signs, so the odds are pretty low for Sweden I'd guess.

A few of my friends from TM were bragging about the ability to drive an S on the Autobahn... Including this handsome guy in the photo. I think we can just simply call it Germany...

It's some kind of message for sure. I don't know anyone who drives around with a sedan carrying a shovel in his trunk...

Then you obviously haven't met my father yet :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Germany it is
So what does this mean?
I'm no car-expert but;
Before driving a car in europe, does it has to be 'certified' or tested? Does it need some form of legislated status to drive on or beside the Autobahn?

You beat me to it, but I would also have said Germany, as the road signs in Belgium seem to have slightly different proportions. My bet would have been somewhere near Hamburg, Lower Saxony perhaps (the car will have been shipped in, no?)
Anyway, as far as the certification goes, I remember the time when all the G.I.'s living in their Barracks around here (Würzburg, Hanau, Aschaffenburg, etc.) drove around in their cars from home and I (as a kid) wondered about the subtle differences they had to German cars (i.e. red signalling lights, different light and bumper config, etc.). They obviously didn't conform to "normal" German specs, but must have been allowed to take part in normal German traffic. Guess as there are still American soldiers living (and driving) over here, those rules will still be valid - and might therefore extend to the US Model S as well.

Last edited:
Germany it is
So what does this mean?
I'm no car-expert but;
Before driving a car in europe, does it has to be 'certified' or tested? Does it need some form of legislated status to drive on or beside the Autobahn?

So, I would tell you as a consumer that if you wanted to take your Model S to Europe that it would not be advised as you would have to register it to drive it on the roads, this would take significant (in my opinion) modifications not to mention adapting for charging.

TESLA on the other hand owns stores in EU. I assume this means that they could drive a US spec car with "dealer" or "manufacturer" plates and not have to deal with heavy modifications. Charging is obvious, but JB is a genius and I am sure accounted for this when the S was in early engineering so it should be ready electrically for the EU.

Just my .02

Germany it is

To register the car in europe, yes. To drive it in europe with american plates? Not sure.

Hope it`s Norway, as about one in every 10.000 Norwegian has reserved a Model S..... We might not be a big country, but we`re going to buy a lot of Ss. :)

Btw: saw this picture when it was posted on FB. Never thought about analyzing it to pieces to find the hidden message :)

The wild animal sign with white background, landscape, wheather type for currently autumn season, white road stripes, asphalt type, ground type on land, ect. all looks like what are found in denmark

the showel how-ever does not look like anything comming from denmark, looks more like somthing found more south - due to the flat landscape I would say north germany would be my guess - seams also like a obvious choise, since you have the autobahn to test on.
does how ever not prevent the car from goung around and be in netherlands later - if one car is here, where might as well be several - would make sence to bring more than just one...