Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think is causing the limited tow capability of the new Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't your reservation packet for fleet vehicles?

I literally just copied and pasted all of that from other sources, Including GM.
Yes, sort of. Fleet pricing and availability only applies for 50 or more units. I did my inquiry through “fleet” but since I’m <50 they passed me off to the local dealer. My anticipated purchase availability is first quarter 2025.

I guess what I’m getting at is anyone will be able to buy a Silverado EV WT (2, 3, or 4) (just like with a GM ICE WT).

Being honest, I haven't had as much time as I would like to research the manufacturing process. I have not watched Munro's walkthrough. That actually sounds super cool. I'll check that out

Until I see with my own eyes the production line banging these things out and a parking lot full of trucks, I don't believe that Tesla has achieved any sort of scale with regards to the Cybertruck. That bridge has been firmly burned and left in the dust.

I know I said <20 a day. That's just the rumor I heard from some firends in Austin (specifically 12 a day) but I know other rumors have 60 a day. We know Tesla won't relate with the press, so unless they Tweet about it, it's just speculation.
“Oh oh oh, I mean I didn’t but I think because I heard once in a bar one time when I was drinking but listening….”

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
That is the culture around Tesla, no improvement, we do things our way and if you don't like it, screw off.

I used to be like you, fresh and new to Tesla. Give it a few years, they'll beat that optimism right out of you. Wait for the first five figure service bill after your car sits broken for six months. Or my personal favorite, when a key feature you enjoy is taken away with a software update.

Exactly. Look at the new Model 3. It’s like they came to this site looked at all the mods people were doing and then added said Mods to the “all-new” Model 3. Smh

Yes, sort of. Fleet pricing and availability only applies for 50 or more units. I did my inquiry through “fleet” but since I’m <50 they passed me off to the local dealer. My anticipated purchase availability is first quarter 2025.

I guess what I’m getting at is anyone will be able to buy a Silverado EV WT (2, 3, or 4) (just like with a GM ICE WT).
Again, it says that non-fleet will start with the First Edition with upto 400 miles of range for 106k which has been pushed to 2025.

I get it. Done LA to DC twice in an older Model S and about another 50k miles on superchrger road trips over the years in multiple Model S and Model 3s. Just don't think 45min of charging every 90min of towing is going to work out for me. This, again, isn't to mention the added overhead of dropping and reattaching the trailer every time.
It became blatantly obvious to me at least, that the initial CT derivations aren't meant to appeal to those who tow/haul heavier loads a on regular basis. For the roughly 1/3 of 150/1500 series owners who do these types of things on a regular basis, the CT - and really almost all other EV pickups out there today - with the possible exception of the Silverado/Sierra EV models that aren't really available to consumers today - aren't going to work. I think Tesla has intentions of eventually bring a CT to market that will better meet these needs - but the fact is that unless you're willing to stuff a huge battery pack into the vehicle - like the 213kw net/246kw gross battery pack in the GM EV pickups - then towing over longer distances with heavier loads isn't going to go well. My definition of eventually includes building out the V4 charging infrastructure with tow friendly locations and 800v charging, along with improvements to the battery tech.

If Tesla really is serious about moving from NMC811 to NMC955/NMC973 and it really does increase energy density by 10-20% - then we're at least starting to get there. If we assume 15% energy density improvement/range improvement - that gets a dual motor CT up from 320/340 estimated miles to 368/391 - and with the REx 483/506. That's getting there at least. But it'll likely take 1-2 years for this to come to market best guess (could easily be longer if the chemistry changes turn out to be more difficult to scale though). It'll take at least that long to get enough V4 stations upgraded/installed as well, with towing friendly stalls. For this particular pickup market segment, it's still a waiting game IMHO.

Reactions: doghousePVD
Did you watch the Munro walk though? The steel doesn't even touch the tool.
If they are overbending then they adjust the robot the other way. Not to mention mounting load cell on the effector to measure yield and springback in realtime.
Watched the Munro video. Some really cool stuff in there but it did more or less confirm what I already heard. The production line still isn't fully setup yet. A lot of fork lifting and moving stuff manually around the factory. He did mention there was still some concerns with timing and springback but that they mostly worked it out, running at "25% speed". Even on the air assisted systems, there is still wear on the tooling. And they were straight up stamping other parts of the SS.

So much to unpack here.

You’re an employee at Austin, and know the production per day? thats wild, doesn’t your nda prevent you from disclosing actual business?

I’d sooner trust the suspension/exterior paneling on the CT over the rivian. Talk about a toy. Monroe/tenneco suspension systems are fragile. And man those rivian guys beat the snot out of their vehicles.

Tesla and NACS is light years ahead of the ford/riv/any EV CCS ownership experience. Dropping your power tongue jack trailer and charging isn’t as big of an issue as you’re making it out to be. Air suspension, powered tongue jack, and rear camera have all but made this automated. Mountain, meet mole hill.

We get it, you can’t use a CT. A diesel or diesel hybrid or petrol powered truck is perfect for your need to haul for 40days non stop with a 75’ Brooklyn apartment behind you. Some of us only need to haul 1900mi or so at a pace faster and with less frustration than CCS.View attachment 1007655
Kinda weird I have the same dog and setup on my FJ. Zero FX motorcycle on the front hitch.

Near 7k lbs, people don’t seem to understand those trailers are neither aerodynamic nor light @ near 2200lbs.

A Y is 41XX to ~4400. Is above CT roof line, not aerodynamic load except that it’s shaped like a bubble. A bubble not being inside of the air that the CT already punched through.

Surge brakes on the uhaul trailer are trash. Any slowing and they engage. Regen -> engaged trailer brakes.

1mi/1kWh is standard EV towing. With anything. An R1S hauling a model 3 on an aluminum twin axle trailer nets 1:1. An X towing a camper, 1:1.
It seems as though owners did no managing of their expectations prior to purchase.
5EB9FD48-44E3-4425-A1F1-A0B57D299218.jpeg

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Near 7k lbs, people don’t seem to understand those trailers are neither aerodynamic nor light @ near 2200lbs.

A Y is 41XX to ~4400. Is above CT roof line, not aerodynamic load except that it’s shaped like a bubble. A bubble not being inside of the air that the CT already punched through.

Surge brakes on the uhaul trailer are trash. Any slowing and they engage. Regen -> engaged trailer brakes.

1mi/1kWh is standard EV towing. With anything. An R1S hauling a model 3 on an aluminum twin axle trailer nets 1:1. An X towing a camper, 1:1.
Just some back of the napkin math here, say you charge to full at home, then stop to supercharge at 5% and then charge to 60%. After 115miles (not even two hours at hwy speeds )you would supercharge. Then supercharge every 63miles for 25min!! Or 33% of the trip would be spent supercharging, best case the trip would be 50% longer. This doesn't include taking the trailer off and putting it back on, every hour!

At the very very least they could have had the 800v superchargers with trailer passthrough space rolled out to the major highways in the US.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Just some back of the napkin math here, say you charge to full at home, then stop to supercharge at 5% and then charge to 60%. After 115miles (not even two hours at hwy speeds )you would supercharge. Then supercharge every 63miles for 25min!! Or 33% of the trip would be spent supercharging, best case the trip would be 50% longer. This doesn't include taking the trailer off and putting it back on, every hour!

At the very very least they could have had the 800v superchargers with trailer passthrough space rolled out to the major highways in the US.
You’ll never not fully or above 80% charge an EV tow vehicle. I’m not one to want to drop the trailer and go charge then come back to get it, nor am I paying for that flatbed tow truck to haul everything to the next charger.

Trailers have power tongue jacks, EVs have rear cameras, mountain meet mile hill @ unhitching.
The above photo was on a 10hr drive, zero unhooking. Charging every 110ish(sometimes 1.2mi/kWh) miles was every few hours, ccs charging made the stops incredibly long.

I’ll say it again, (towing with) EVs aren’t for ‘hotshot’ long haul trips. But a retiree that wants less maintenance on their tow rig and travels a few hundred miles (most travel trailer people tend to be around 300mi/day, at least that’s what we’ve heard from pusher drivers and other owners over the years and on YouTube) from site to site.

A 3/4 or 1ton truck with aux tank in the bed and a fifth wheel / goose would be the typical long haul tow vehicle. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Reactions: Xenoilphobe

It seems as though owners did no managing of their expectations prior to purchase.
View attachment 1009074
A bubble above the roofline is aerodynamic compared to what the vast majority of people tow on a regular basis. Most are inclosed trailers or campers both which are much taller then a Tesla on a trailer and have the aerodynamics of a wall.

Again. It is not the weight of the trailer that makes the largest range reduction it is the increase in drag.

Just doing some rough math (double to triple the surface area, much higher Cd). I would expect another 30-40% reduction from towing the Y to towing a camper.

And nice 3!

You’ll never not fully or above 80% charge an EV tow vehicle. I’m not one to want to drop the trailer and go charge then come back to get it, nor am I paying for that flatbed tow truck to haul everything to the next charger.
The Cybertruck takes an eye-wartering amount of time to charge to 80%. I put 60%, since that seemed to be sweetspot. Charging to 80% would mean every 86 miles, you would charge for 45min!! So at 70mph, you charge every 72min for... 45min!

Again, even as someone who has supercharge roadtripped accross the country multiple times, that's a brainbleeding amount of time. If you were to go non-stop for 12hours, you'd barely make it 500miles!

(and that's the absolute best case scenario)

The Cybertruck takes an eye-wartering amount of time to charge to 80%. I put 60%, since that seemed to be sweetspot. Charging to 80% would mean every 86 miles, you would charge for 45min!! So at 70mph, you charge every 72min for... 45min!

Again, even as someone who has supercharge roadtripped accross the country multiple times, that's a brainbleeding amount of time. If you were to go non-stop for 12hours, you'd barely make it 500miles!

(and that's the absolute best case scenario)
One thread of towing. Makes it law of the land. K.

😂 I like this logic. It feeds the ignore list.

View attachment 1009074
! kwh per mile? huh?

I tow my 21 foot travel trailer with MX and usually get about 550-600 wh/mile. The trailer is somewhat aero, and I drive at 55.