Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA MY RWD has soft limited LR battery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen 256 kW in my own car (Fremont built '23 MY RWD with 2170 cells). There are no V4 chargers, only V4 dispensers. All V4s that are installed today are connected to V3 cabinets (the actual charger).

It's likely 170 kW coming out of the charger and 163 kW going into the battery because there are losses.

The number we see on the display is total power from the charger to the car.
So thats the sum of charging power + battery heat + cabin heating /cooling and the power needed to keep the car awake.

I have several logs (scan my tesla to teslalogger) that shows the battery power, and the battery heating and total power that mathces the display. Display showing north of 260kW means around -250kW battery power or slightly more.

IMG_8523.jpeg

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Depends on the owner. At $1500-2000, it will be cheaper than previous Tesla range unlock options which started at $3000 I believe. However, buying this extra range will make almost no difference on road trips - the only time when you need range anyway. The combined range and charging of the '24 RWD will already make it a road tripping monster that is better than almost any other EV - even the new Model 3. It will only make a difference if you bought this car and later realized you must drive a certain route that is 20-30 miles beyond current 100-0% range that also doesn't have reliable charging. If you needed that, you probably bought the LR AWD.

My plan will likely be to not buy the extra range until I need it, perhaps to compensate for battery degradation after a few years. I'll be able to watch to see if they drop the price over time and maybe catch a deal. I'd likely also pay for this upgrade if I were going to sell the car as it will be much easier to resell with 300+ miles range.
Model S 60 to 75 unlock eventually dropped to $2K IIRC, I think most took it at that price. I think 70 to 75 unlock also was $500 in that same timeframe. So there have been unlocks cheaper than $3K before. But as before, the value is subjective and dependent on personal situation....

Reactions: pirunningman
Model S 60 to 75 unlock eventually dropped to $2K IIRC, I think most took it at that price. I think 70 to 75 unlock also was $500 in that same timeframe. So there have been unlocks cheaper than $3K before. But as before, the value is subjective and dependent on personal situation....
Thanks! Good to know. I was hoping that someone could confirm that previous unlocks were around long enough to see a drop in price. For me, this would be an easy purchase if it fell under $1000.

Well, I read it as a Max 'possibility', not a guarantee. But go ahead, get a lawyer and sue. Let us know how you make out. :cool:
@branden is trying to force Tesla on this issue with his Model Y AWD right now. I don't know if he will go as far as to sue. But he is really unhappy with the charging, and I think he's just trying to use this as a way to force a buy back.

Reactions: branden
@branden is trying to force Tesla on this issue with his Model Y AWD right now. I don't know if he will go as far as to sue. But he is really unhappy with the charging, and I think he's just trying to use this as a way to force a buy back.
Yes, I've been following his videos with the car. After 10 months, though, not sure that will happen. And the buy-back department was probably laid off so.... 🤷‍♂️

Well, I read it as a Max 'possibility', not a guarantee. But go ahead, get a lawyer and sue. Let us know how you make out. :cool:
You are very accommodating. Imagine the car was advertised as a 4-door SUV but when you got the car you found out you could only open 3 of the doors. The last one is installed but software locked to not open. Would you be happy knowing the maximum number of doors was only a possibility?

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
You are very accommodating. Imagine the car was advertised as a 4-door SUV but when you got the car you found out you could only open 3 of the doors. The last one is installed but software locked to not open. Would you be happy knowing the maximum number of doors was only a possibility?
Apples and oranges, but you can think what you want. Get a lawyer if you're that upset. Contact NHTSA. Call your Congressman.

• Funny
Reactions: E90alex and mborkow
Isn't it a bit premature to say the 2024 cannot charge at 170kW? As far as I know there is only one data point so that doesn't seem very definitive to me. Also, there are a number of factors why a car can't hit the max speed at a given time or situation. There are times I've seen my 2023 charge > 250kW while other times it can't reach that.
It might be! But Branden Flasch is not a noob. He set up the car for best charging performance when he tested it. It would only have to hit 170 briefly to meet what they claim. That's what most Tesla's do. It's absolutely clear they are locking charging below what the car is capable of since the LR RWD now on sale claims 250 kW max charging speed and it's the same car. So why would they lock it below what they advertise?

It might be! But Branden Flasch is not a noob. He set up the car for best charging performance when he tested it. It would only have to hit 170 briefly to meet what they claim. That's what most Tesla's do. It's absolutely clear they are locking charging below what the car is capable of since the LR RWD now on sale claims 250 kW max charging speed and it's the same car. So why would they lock it below what they advertise?

It makes no sense to me either that Tesla would limit the charging below advertised, which is why I bring it up. I also agree that Branden is a credible source, but there could be some factor out of his control.

I was incorrect in there being only one data point. In the "2024 US model Y rwd Battery type and size" thread, I noticed one owner reporting a peak of 160kW while another reported 166kW.

In the case of the 2024 SR RWD, the 170kW is obviously artificial so it's very strange they don't hit it. It almost seems they tried to have the charging performance match the Euro BYD Blade pack RWD.
I’d have previously argued that nerfing the max charge rate would only hurt them at the SuperCharger but I guess that’s not really a priority anymore anyway…

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Weird how Tesla is taking the things they were good at, charge rate and Superchargers, and now that Porsche and others have taken the lead on that, they are making them suck even more.

Charging with Teslas was sooo close to being spectacular and a complete non-issue. (I only wait on my car about half the time.)

Oh well. At least Elon posted some sick memes while he was losing the edge.

Just another point of comparison: Tesla clearly advertises top speeds for each of their cars. It's also clear that those top speeds are software locked. But in that case, many people have confirmed that the cars exactly hit the advertised top speed or 1 mph over. It's just odd that this isn't the case for the advertised 170 kW max charging speed.

Reactions: branden