Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Spring Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I half agree, half don't on this. I think for an ICE, all cars should have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as they don't need a lot of integration between the navigation and the car's drivetrain but on an EV it's different.

The nav needs to understand your driving style, your consumption and make intelligent decisions on if you'll make it to your destination or if you need a charging stop. It needs to workout if it should pre-heat the battery or not. By having all users using Tesla navigation they can do things like their new on-route to Supercharger stats in the car. There's a lot of other things I'm sure they probably do that we aren't even aware of.

In theory all of this would be possible with CarPlay and Android Auto but they need API's for this stuff so they can be aware of what's going on with the car to make decisions properly. They don't exist currently and of course if you let Apple and Google control this with their API's, car makers will be bound by their release schedules to add new stuff.

So yes in theory choice is good but Tesla forcing us to use their own system does I think give us a better experience overall when it comes to how the car works based on navigation data.
I think A Better Route Planner had a link in to your ID.3 App, and the state of charge when I owned mine a year ago.

There's no reason there can't be APIs setup in the car to pass that information across, and theres not a particular reason for information to pass the other way, such as route guidance appearing on HUDs and putting in a potential battery conditioning destination.

It just takes a bit of interest from the manufacturer to give them a USP, until the rest catch-up.

Tesla infotainment is great for music and it's really quick with no lags, others have caught up and Android Auto/Apple Carplay have a huge amount of App choice, YouTube Music, Amazon Music, Waze, etc, etc.

Gone are the days that the VW system just didn't work.

@FastLaneJB and @Kansalis I think you both make good points and it's stuff I take for granted with the car eg supercharging and rerouting etc is very useful.

I'm happy with the system overall, I don't actually want the full phone experience in car, it was just very cool to see Android Auto and how well it integrates.

@GRiLLA As wishy mentions, it's an app rather than full OS, it gets updates easier/for longer.

I'm also surprised I can't use Google Assistant (Or whatever it's called this week) to voice control my car, Apple users are able to do this but I need to subscribe to a separate app or build it using Tasker or similar.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
It's a big leap from updating of Android Auto apps like Waze, Maps, Spotify etc to software updates that affect the operation of the car. I did miss Android Auto for a while when I first got my Tesla but to be honest I'm not sure what functionality I'd ever use on it any more, even if it were available. I'd be inclined to look more closely at software and updates related to the car itself before moving to another car.
I guess as long as they have the apps you use then all is good. So I use Apple Music which they added literally just before we got our first Tesla so that had me covered there. If say you use Amazon Music (Maybe coming soon) or YouTube Music then you are out of luck, have to use Bluetooth streaming from your phone. This is where having CarPlay and Android Auto is useful, how I used Apple Music in my Land Rover because it didn't have native Apple Music.

But yes I don't miss it because Tesla has all the apps I'd want built in and the Sat Nav actually I think is extremely good, especially how it can handle charging stops. It also nicely integrates into the voice controls and I love how even the basics like adding an additional waypoint is easy. Now it's got speed cameras, average speed camera zones (When I get the update) it's pretty complete. Probably just needs the ability to report speed cameras, cars on side of the road, potholes and such that you can in other apps. With the number of Tesla's on the road that system should work well.

@FastLaneJB and @Kansalis I think you both make good points and it's stuff I take for granted with the car eg supercharging and rerouting etc is very useful.

I'm happy with the system overall, I don't actually want the full phone experience in car, it was just very cool to see Android Auto and how well it integrates.

@GRiLLA As wishy mentions, it's an app rather than full OS, it gets updates easier/for longer.

I'm also surprised I can't use Google Assistant (Or whatever it's called this week) to voice control my car, Apple users are able to do this but I need to subscribe to a separate app or build it using Tasker or similar.
You can run Android Auto in a Tesla by the way in a browser. Not quite as perfect but it does work, you just need an app like this one:

TesAA for Android Auto

Reviews say it's laggy, breaks a lot, and overall isn't smooth so I'd rather take the Tesla built-in experience. I don't mind Bluetooth audio from my phone for music.
Yeah I have it but don't use it. It worked fine for me, like everything on Android I think it depends on the phone you actually have, some work better than others. However I just don't see the need for it so don't bother.

Use an iPhone as my main phone though, seems again more beneficial as I'll be able to use UWB when I get my Highland plus the Sentry Mode notification alerts with video are iPhone only also at the moment.

Reactions: Foxsbiscuits

OK, we are to Android Auto not Android Automotive then I guess, my mistake.

Well, according to Tessie they released the expected FSD 12.4 but under 2024.9.5.
Might be the reason why they were keen to keep at least half the fleet off 2024.14 to allow the upgrade.

But I don't understand why they wanted to keep an older branch rather than converting everyone to 2024.14 now that FSD v12.3.6 was finally on it...

For those of us outside the US, it might mean that the 2024.14 rollout will resume soon..
Still hoping to get it before the bank holiday weekend...

I would definitely like to see Apple CarPlay.

I navigate to Superchargers using post codes/addresses, we subscribe to an Amazon music family plan and I also rather like Apple Maps which we use when overseas as well as in my wife’s Fiat via CarPlay.

Having said that, if my Tesla does get Amazon Music at some point I will be happy enough.

I would definitely like to see Apple CarPlay.

I navigate to Superchargers using post codes/addresses, we subscribe to an Amazon music family plan and I also rather like Apple Maps which we use when overseas as well as in my wife’s Fiat via CarPlay.

Having said that, if my Tesla does get Amazon Music at some point I will be happy enough.
Yeah I think CarPlay is really good and Apple Maps is also. Far better than the initial release they put out and it’s one of the best now in my opinion. Still I think it’s pretty much a certainty they will never put CarPlay or Android Auto into the Tesla.

There was a rumour a long time ago that they would be adding AirPlay and was found in the code but that was a long time ago so maybe they changed their mind. That would get nicer music quality than just Bluetooth at least.

Also be good if they add AirPlay and ChromeCast for video playback. That’ll help where they don’t have any app for video services also. Aware you can run some via browser but also with a phone you can download videos so they’ll play without signal or where it’s patchy. Be even more useful now there’s a screen in the backs of the newer cars.

Reactions: Drew57
You are not alone. Based on Tessies 370000 ish vehicle fleet, 2024.14.6 never made it to 20%. Tessies fleet is a decent sample size and likely a pretty good representation of the whole Tesla fleet. So you are still in the majority
1000000702.png