Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Advanced Driver Assistance Systems Litigation, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, No. 22-05240

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1063.gif

I’m curious about the class action status.

Are owners in by default and have to opt out? Out by default and have to opt in? How long do they have to decide?

And would claimants have to forgo their current FSD?

Would awards be based on the actual amount paid?

Would awards for resold cars be split with previous owners?

Would it cover FSD eligible cars without FSD purchase since the cars were sold as eligible?

Would it cover FSD subscription payments besides up front purchases?

Any chance Tesla could settle this for some pittance per car, pay the attorneys a big sum and be released from delivering FSD for all the older cars?

So many questions.

Last edited:
I’m curious about the class action status.

Are owners in by default and have to opt out? Out by default and have to opt in?

And would claimants have to forgo their current FSD?

Would awards be based on the actual amount paid?

Would awards for resold cars be split with previous owners?

Any chance Tesla could settle this for some pittance per car, pay the attorneys a big sum and be released from delivering FSD for all the older cars?

So many questions.
I think you don't need to do anything. When it's settled or there's a judgement, you'll be notified by mail to accept by doing nothing or to not accept that by opting out. Tesla has ownership records that's also obtained by the lawyers for the payment. Usually, the amount is symbolic so I won't count on it.

Reactions: JB47394
Usually, the amount is symbolic so I won't count on it.
Except to the lawyers.

They'll win the case and be awarded $2.5 billion or something. A third of that is supposed to go to the lawyers. The media will report on it, and all the Elon-haters will have a field day. Tesla will appeal the case and get the penalty knocked down to $51 million, with a third of that going to the lawyers, and perhaps more going to administration of distribution. The media will report on it, and nobody will notice.

We'll see $67.32 each.

Justice has some serious overhead to it.

Yes - but you could always opt out.

But the way these go - it might take a very long time and there may be multiple chances for Tesla to appeal or get the case dismissed. We have to wait for an actual lawyer to chime in.

BTW, the judge has to approve any settlement proposed by the lawyers & Tesla. He/She can reject it as insufficient.

Seems like a lot of judges view a total amount punitive to the company without considering whether the individual amount is worth the trouble.
May be - but there are instances of judges not accepting settlements.

For eg. in the Nissan Leaf battery degradation case, the judge asked the parties to renegotiate.

Funny enough - the class covered the chief justice of the 9th circuit court - who objected to the first settlement !